Clean up crews

Labnin

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, im new here and new to keeping Ts and scorpions and i was just wondering if it would be safe to go grab some isopods/pill bugs from my back yard to use as clean up crews for my new critters. Because ive noticed some mold growing quite rapidly in just my asian forest scropions habitat. But i just dont wanna bother spending a total of like 60 or 70 bucks just for some clean up crews for all my guys when i could just grab them from my yard, ya know? The reason i ask is because i dont know if they, themselves, could be harboring harmful bacteria/fungi/mites that would be introduced if i just got some from outside as opposed to a more "sterile" environment i would assume the vendors would have the isopods in. Thanks for any help!

Labnin

Arachnopeon
main worry is not bacterias or mites but worms
Oh god, i didnt even think of that lol.. Well thank you, i guess i might as well just order some clean up crews when i have the money lol. Better safe than sorry, eh? Thank you!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Actually I would say the main problem would be pesticides, since if the scorpion tries to eat one of the isopods that has come into contact with any of the "cides" that could be deadly; unless you have a fairly serious parasitic nematode problem where you live, that shouldn't be much of an issue I believe.

However, isopods may not be the best clean-up crew choice here, since they typically don't eat mold in quantity. Springtails in my experience are much better at that, and they don't come with the risks that isopods do (potentially preying upon the scorpion after it molts).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Taysha

Arachnosquire
However, isopods may not be the best clean-up crew choice here, since they typically don't eat mold in quantity. Springtails in my experience are much better at that, and they don't come with the risks that isopods do (potentially preying upon the scorpion after it molts).
I agree completely, I keep several species of isopods and would not trust them around anything that has just molted. I've seen a vulgare for example eat injured but living isopods of other species, and newly born nymphs. I would not trust them around a vulnerable scorpion, but springtails are safer and do a better job of cleaning up.