Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Clean up crews eating molting inverts?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by SoniceSoap, Jul 13, 2019.

1. SoniceSoap

SoniceSoap Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I just saw a post on here about a poor little scorp getting attacked by powder blue isopods while molting, and then the springtails took advantage of the injuries and ate it.
    Looking at this thread I saw a lot of people saying that the powder blues specifically were naturally more aggressive than other isopod species.
    This problem could've maybe been caused by the container being kept a little to clean and just not having much for the isopods to eat, but it is still quite worrying and I know these things have happened to owners before.

So with that being said, is there a difference in aggression when it comes to isopod species? And if so, what would be the best species to use for clean up crews when it comes to housing inverts?
    (Also population control so they aren't underfed by being too abundant)

2. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

I’ve kept dwarf white isopods with tarantula slings. I never had any one get eaten.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Im assuming you mean porcelionides pruinosus- in that case, yes, they are quite ravenous and will attack molting critters. Not a good cleanup crew. They could probably also infect other isopoda with wolbachia, a parasite that hijacks their development, resulting in parthenogenic females

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. bobthehobo9

bobthehobo9 ArachnoPilot Old Timer

Dwarf whites and springtails have always worked well for me. Never had any issues with them.

5. ive seen lots of porcellio species attacking inverts in videos n stuff since they seem to love protein and some suggest opportunistic. I keep dwarf whites with my scolopendra spinosissma and there arent enough in there to bother her but i am going to start taking out the ones i see or switching substrate entirely.

6. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

the dwarves are okay they seem much more interested in decomposed stuff.

7. SoniceSoap

SoniceSoap Arachnopeon

Wow I've never heard of Wolbachia, thanks for telling

8. My isopods happily snack on t moults, so I don't see why they wouldn't go after a T.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.