Classroom Project

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So my daughter had a science paper and chose Tarantulas. (Imagine that!). So I took a few species in today to share with the class. Lots of fun. The most interesting part. The teacher says to me, “I never knew they were such beautiful creatures. Me and my husband are going to research them and consider coming into the hobby.” I was pretty excited as I walked away today because without that education my daughter and I gave the class, none of them knew actually how neat they are. Even the kids that were terrified when she said I was coming are now a little more at ease. Educating the future of the hobby!!!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have also talked about tarantulas in my daughters class. But this was 10 years ago! Time flyes!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have also talked about tarantulas in my daughters class. But this was 10 years ago! Time flyes!
Yes it does... she is taking a huge interest in them. My son not so much, lol.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
thats awesome!! Educating people on stuff like insects and tarantulas is very rewarding!
I got to speak to children at an insect type festival and it was one of the coolest things ever!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I recently did a (short) presentation on a single tarantula for some pre-schoolers. The kids were a bit too young to really be very concise, but it was kind of fun. I chose my big LP, figuring since it looks big to an adult, it probably looks gigantic to a 4 or 5 year-old.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So my daughter had a science paper and chose Tarantulas. (Imagine that!). So I took a few species in today to share with the class. Lots of fun. The most interesting part. The teacher says to me, “I never knew they were such beautiful creatures. Me and my husband are going to research them and consider coming into the hobby.” I was pretty excited as I walked away today because without that education my daughter and I gave the class, none of them knew actually how neat they are. Even the kids that were terrified when she said I was coming are now a little more at ease. Educating the future of the hobby!!!
This is awesome...You should be commended.

These types of public outreach is what our hobby needs to draw in new educated members and to effect change to public perceptions and misperceptions of what this hobby is all about. Compared to people that keep fish, there are not very many of us...much smaller group.

KenD

Arachnosquire
I recently did a (short) presentation on a single tarantula for some pre-schoolers. The kids were a bit too young to really be very concise, but it was kind of fun. I chose my big LP, figuring since it looks big to an adult, it probably looks gigantic to a 4 or 5 year-old.
I'm thinking a big LP might almost consider eating a 4-5 year-old 😁

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fear and hate re animals generally are learned behaviors born from ignorance.

Did you remind your daughter that if she had chosen any other animal she would have been persona non grata? I find such positive reinforcement is critical ;)

Nice work!!

Yes it does... she is taking a huge interest in them. My son not so much, lol.
Tell him he needs an “attitude adjustment”, or he’s being replaced by version 2.0. Defective genes aren’t allowed I say.

I find such positive reinforcement does wonders. ;)