Classroom Pet Tarantula Advice

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
For a display tarantula, it would be hard to go wrong with G. pulchripes or G. pulchra (these were my first two, and I raised them from slings.) The G. pulchripes is much cheaper and widely available, though. Not sure what your budget for this project is.

Most Brachypelma species would be great too...B. albopilosum, B. boehmei, B. emelia or B. smithi would all fit the bill nicely. (B. vagans is said to be the least tolerant of the lot, so you might want to avoid it if this is your first one.) Make sure that you get one that looks pretty to you. Seeing them is the main way we get pleasure from this type of pet, and it's hard to get excited about something you don't find attractive. We are highly visual creatures.

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
Soon the addiction will take someone else and there is no cure for it, the only thing you can do is keep adding more. You may say "oh, I think I'll just cap it off at 1" and next thing you know a few months later you will have 10. Tarantulas are like potato chips as many say.

As for recommendations, anybody who reads my posts in recommendation threads know I can go on about E. Sp. Red all day. They may be smaller and slow growing but as classroom pets for observation are concerned this species is definitely a good option. They are constantly moving and rearranging. Oh yeah, I should also mention they have a habit of wandering out of their enclosures when opened.

Option 2: B. Albopilosum, are great to start out with l. As a matter of fact this was the first species I started out with. Many are calm but do tend to kick urticating hairs (I am sure I misspelled that word terribly) particularly when in juvenile stage.

Both are great options as well as many others but what matters is what appeals to you and multiple 8-9 year olds. With the knowledge you gain from this thread and many others, you will be able to make an educated decision that will be rewarding in many ways.
Haha, all too true! I don't even have one and I'm already of thinking of getting another! One for me and one for the school/students. I think I'm just going to really think about one to dedicate the time and resources to though.

And I saw the Cury Hair before and am considering it! Right now I think I'm between the
1. GBB
2. Curly Hair
3. Grammostola Pulchara (Though I really can't find any for under $100 when combined with shipping so not realistic :( )
4. Chaco Golden Knee

I'll probably put it up to a class vote and see what happens haha. Though I have a hunch that a blue/orange spider will capture the hearts of 8-9 year olds...who knows! haha

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'll probably put it up to a class vote and see what happens haha. Though I have a hunch that a blue/orange spider will capture the hearts of 8-9 year olds...who knows! haha
You may want to think about a Pterinopelma sazimai. It's very blue, but not as skittish as the GBB. I have two of them, but they're tiny slings so I have no pictures of my own to show you the color. Check this out:

http://arachnoiden.com/product/pterinopelma-sazimai-38/

http://arachnoiden.com/product/pterinopelma-sazimai-1/

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Well, ungoliabt covered pretty much everything . But IMO, I think a Lasiodora, Nhandu, or A genciulata would be a good choice. They are all fast growers and ravenous eaters. A word of caution, they will spin and vite if touched, they seem to think everything is food. Handling isn't really much of a option. They also kick hairz, which can cause a mosquito bite sensation. The Nahndu chromatis as the worst hairs out of the three. Washing your hands after maintenance is a good idea.
Wish I had a teacher like you haha
:)
Funny all 3 were my first T's:)

cold blood

Staff member
I think he was referring to the Exo Terra Breeding Boxes I recommended, which are low-profile and top-opening. (I currently have four small terrestrials housed in these containers.)
Ahh, now I get what you are saying...hello re-read. I didn't realize the breeder boxes were exo terra...the only exo terra enclosures I know of are the tall, front openers...thanks for the clarification, sorry I missed your point initially.:bag:

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
Hello again everyone!

I just wanted to run by my potential T setup for my classroom for everyone and see what you think. I'm planning on getting an enclosure kit from Jamie's Tarantulas and putting it in one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6T7UVE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NZVZ0XF1SNBE . I figure I could also use the larger acrylic box as a rehousing situation for when the T, hopefully, grows healthily and is large enough. I'm also going to secure an acrylic hinge with a lock onto the acrylic box by welding it on, that way my kiddos cannot access the T without my key.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the ventilation for the T, as the air will have to go from the large acrylic box and also through the air vent in the enclosure kit. Also, I'm thinking of getting a 1 inch sling, so is it better to get a the spiderling enclosure that measures 2 1/4" square x 4 1/4" tall or the Juvenile one at 4" square x 5" tall. I feel like the larger one is better as I wouldn't have to rehouse the T so soon after I get it as it will probably outgrow the sling one pretty soon at 1 inch. Though it depends on the species I guess (leaning more towards a GBB or a Curly Hair).

As always thanks for the help arachnoboards! :)

cold blood

Staff member
As passive breathers (book lungs), they don't really have the requirements of a mammal. Many need high ventilation, but its not for breathing purposes, its more for controlling mold and pests with ts that require more moisture (or live in trees). None of the ones you are considering needs much additional moisture, or any real significant ventilation. I wouldn't be concerned with your plan....sounds solid...although if you are heating the outside enclosure, I would put the sling enclosure into a much larger enclosure than that.

For a 1" sling, you will be better served keeping it in a 16oz deli cup...their sling enclosures are not good IMO...their adult ones are fantastic, but I wouldn't use one of the sling ones, especially when considering the cost...not too bad, but a deli cup offers the same security and visibility and more room for like 2 cents....even a deli cup is a pretty big place for a 1" sling if that's the route you decide to go. The sling could stay in a deli cup till nearly 3".....which won't be likely to be till next school year.
I personally would suggest something a little bigger, like 2" DLS. Easier to see, and monitor...That little extra size will make for a much hardier little t.

Don't be concerned with re-housing, especially with small slings...its practically as easy as moving an ant...just a little quicker (but not always).

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
3. Grammostola Pulchara (Though I really can't find any for under $100 when combined with shipping so not realistic
Shipping costs are often prohibitive for just one tarantula. (That's why you order more than one!) You might try checking our classified section to see if you can find any local sellers within driving distance.

Another good option is to check out exotic pet shows like Repticon. There is some overlap between the reptile and invert hobbies, so you can often find at least one table with tarantulas. (I rarely leave Repticon without a new tarantula.) Plus you can pick up other supplies like feeder insects.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Hi all! (First post! Aw, yeah!)

I just wanted to pop in and say that my first class pet was a tarantula. While I always loved bugs, I truly believe that tarantula is the reason I am even on this website now, with a small collection of my own.

I remember, even back then in kindergarten, being so fascinated by our pet T. Our teacher would let us go out and catch crickets and we could watch as she would feed him. While this was a fun and rewarding to provide for our pet, please never feed your T any wild-caught insects.

So many people are so disgusted by insects and arachnids. Thank you for considering an "alternative" option for a class pet, that may open the eyes of many little ones, or spark some new interests and passions!

All the best!!

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
Hi all! (First post! Aw, yeah!)

I just wanted to pop in and say that my first class pet was a tarantula. While I always loved bugs, I truly believe that tarantula is the reason I am even on this website now, with a small collection of my own.

I remember, even back then in kindergarten, being so fascinated by our pet T. Our teacher would let us go out and catch crickets and we could watch as she would feed him. While this was a fun and rewarding to provide for our pet, please never feed your T any wild-caught insects.

So many people are so disgusted by insects and arachnids. Thank you for considering an "alternative" option for a class pet, that may open the eyes of many little ones, or spark some new interests and passions!

All the best!!
Wow! I hope they move me to Kinder so I can do that with kids that age too. :) I already have a feeling that even at age 9 some kids have been brainwashed by social cues to think spiders (and most bugs in general) are evil and out to eat them. Hopefully I can change that though. We talk a lot about society, acceptance, and doing research before making assumptions in my class. The hardest thing will be winning the parents over! They have been conditioned way to long to fear spiders lol

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Dude this would be so cool. Don't feed it any wild-caught insects, just have the feeders in the room and let the kids take turns feeding the tarantula. I might become a high school or college professor one day and I will have a tarantula in my classroom and no one will be able to friggin stop me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I think I'm just going to really think about one to dedicate the time and resources to though.
The good news is that their care is so easy that once you get the routine down you can easily have time for more than one in your life. Even with the amount I have I don't spend much time per week on their care. Days go by where I do nothing at all with any of them!

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Wow! I hope they move me to Kinder so I can do that with kids that age too. :) I already have a feeling that even at age 9 some kids have been brainwashed by social cues to think spiders (and most bugs in general) are evil and out to eat them. Hopefully I can change that though. We talk a lot about society, acceptance, and doing research before making assumptions in my class. The hardest thing will be winning the parents over! They have been conditioned way to long to fear spiders lol
When I was this age, I actually brought my spiders to school with me. I had this multi-colored plastic container that I kept my Long Leg family in. Of course, everyone knows Daddy Long Leg, but no one really talked about Mama Long Leg and Baby Long Leg. I wanted to show my friends and my teacher, and mainly, I just wanted to be with my "pets."

My teacher actually spotted the strange container first and asked me if it was a new lunch box. I opened the lid with excitement to show her the "family" inside, however...the feeling was not mutual. Hahah.

I'm sure even children this age will have their fears, but to think they are evil is just unnecessary. Even if they may even have some fears of being bitten, it is important for children to understand that insects and arachnids have a very important place in our environment. We have a great deal we can learn from them.

:D