Genus Citharacanthus

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought I would share my Citharacanthus Longipes Niger pics. The common name I was told is Cuban sandy grey. I have found little information on him. He just molted 2 weeks ago into ultimate male. He is a beautiful T. The pics do not do him justice. I could get a photo that compare with what my eyes can see. His carapace is gold and a gold sheen on his legs as you move the light around him. Legs are a slate grey/blue color. Abdoman is dark possibly black with red satae on the back. I would say disposition is good though I have never tried to handle him because I know little about him. A little nervous at best. Has never kicked any hairs or bolted away nor threat display. I am looking for a female if someone has one.

Attachments

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He's very pretty. I hope you find a mate for him.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am not even going to bother commenting on the name of this T. Good luck finding a mate.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very interesting Kevin. How is your other spiders doing?

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
I am not even going to bother commenting on the name of this T. Good luck finding a mate.
Hope he is correctly identified. What few pics on the web I found, about half resembled him. Suppose the others could be females. On one Czech site, http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/citharacanthus-longipes-niger-id101.html , has a pretty much exact photo likeness of him. The female photo has roughly the appearence of a dark brown G. aureostriata. To me anyway.

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Very interesting Kevin. How is your other spiders doing?
All doing well. Can't say the same for my breeding projects. Only one of four G. rosa had a sac from that male I sent you. It was the one I wanted most but.... I thought she might be a little young do to her size and did not put much faith in her. Her tank was on the floor for lack of elivated space in the basement for cooling period. I just happened to neel down to get a glimpse and noticed she had a sac. For fear of my wifes new cat annoying her I very slowly picked up her tank to put her out of reach. One last inspection she was munching on the sac :( My T. blondi female molted and was ready. The male molted to adult a few weeks later right on que only to perish in 24hrs. Never lost an adult unexpectedly until now. My big fat "hair kicker of love" Smithi molted shortly after moving her to the basement. I had not had her long enough to know about molting time but had the oppertunity to get a mature male so why not. I have recently sold what I thought was about half of my collection for lack ot time and space and change focus away from arboreals. Thirty something were sold. When I rearanged and Counted I still have 44. Did you or anyone have any success out of that male rosa?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice looking spider. :)

smokejuan said:
Hope he is correctly identified.
The World Spider Catalog has C. longipes and C. niger listed. C. niger was identified as a subspecies by Franganillo in 1931 but was given full species status by Rudloff in 1998. Good luck finding out which he is exactly and finding a mate for him. :)

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I sure hate to see him go to waste. I really like these based on the time I have had him. I have had him for little over a year. Was never a problem. No strange eating habits or strange behaviors. Looks really cool under the light. He hasn't eaten since he molted but I will try him again this weekend. I would like to have another is why I am looking for a female. Maybe get a sac so others can enjoy them too.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I havent seen a thread for these yet.

Citharacanthus spinicrus female

Citharacanthus spinicrus ultimate male

Later, Tom

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad someone finally posted some pics. I have beens searching for some of these. Let me know if you get any babies Philth.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Citharacanthus cyaneus

And before someone yells at me that the photos at the top of this thread are Phormictopus, I know. That was a long time go, and thats what they were sold as, so what do you want from me ? lol

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Citharacanthus cyaneus female
329192.jpg

Citharacanthus cyaneus
mature male
51419.jpg

Mating
51519.jpg

Later, Tom