Cicada killers (Sphecius speciosus)

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
This was a thing from over the summer, I still don't know how it went yet :rofl:

I caught a few of these in July after I had a 12 gallon tank set up for them and they started digging after 2 weeks. The thing is cicadas are reallyyy hard to find here and I only got 4 for them. They paralyzed them and took them in the burrows, but I can't see inside anymore (they sealed the whole thing with sand) or tell if they actually laid eggs. I don't wanna dig it up and end up injuring any pupae that might be in there, so I'll have to wait until next year to see if it was a success :)
20200810_122827~2.jpg 20200810_203621~2.jpg 20200810_203757~3.jpg 20200810_124519~2.jpg 20200810_124037~2.jpg

Underside of the tank - the dark thing at the end of the burrow is the paralyzed cicada
20200807_185215~2.jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
This was a thing from over the summer, I still don't know how it went yet :rofl:

I caught a few of these in July after I had a 12 gallon tank set up for them and they started digging after 2 weeks. The thing is cicadas are reallyyy hard to find here and I only got 4 for them. They paralyzed them and took them in the burrows, but I can't see inside anymore (they sealed the whole thing with sand) or tell if they actually laid eggs. I don't wanna dig it up and end up injuring any pupae that might be in there, so I'll have to wait until next year to see if it was a success :)
View attachment 364167 View attachment 364168 View attachment 364173 View attachment 364170 View attachment 364169

Underside of the tank - the dark thing at the end of the burrow is the paralyzed cicada
View attachment 364172
This is super cool! Guess wasps are kind of your thing now.

I've found cicadas hard to find even when I can hear them everywhere, so if you figure out how to get them let me know lol. I don't know if there's some kind of light trap or similar you can set up.

I'll be following to see if there are any bebbes

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron

View attachment 364167 View attachment 364168 View attachment 364173 View attachment 364170 View attachment 364169

View attachment 364172
thats amazing! those wasps look really cool-

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
This is super cool! Guess wasps are kind of your thing now.

I've found cicadas hard to find even when I can hear them everywhere, so if you figure out how to get them let me know lol. I don't know if there's some kind of light trap or similar you can set up.

I'll be following to see if there are any bebbes
The only cicadas I found were mismolted or dying but you might find some by going out early when nymphs are still coming out the ground

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you go out during/right after rain you should be able to find more nymphs as they climb up trees and things to find good molting spots. Then you can just place them somewhere until they finish molting before giving them to the wasps.

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
If you go out during/right after rain you should be able to find more nymphs as they climb up trees and things to find good molting spots. Then you can just place them somewhere until they finish molting before giving them to the wasps.
Thanks, I'll definitely remember that for next year!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you are a little electronically minded or know someone who is. There are home brew and kits out there of portable sonic direction finders. A plastic bowl for a reception dish, a battery powered amplifier and a meter, making it easy to detect the location of cicadas or other sounds.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Beautiful wasps! I had no idea these could be kept. Heres a Vespa species I saw in China butchering a cicada, the poor things can't get a break.
RSCN8638.JPG

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
It's pretty neat that they behave normally and dig their burrows when kept in tanks, I would've assumed something so big and active would just try to escape.

Solitary wasps are some of my favorite insects, I've seen people keep those metallic green cockroach hunters as well which kinda makes me want to try it.

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
It's pretty neat that they behave normally and dig their burrows when kept in tanks, I would've assumed something so big and active would just try to escape.

Solitary wasps are some of my favorite insects, I've seen people keep those metallic green cockroach hunters as well which kinda makes me want to try it.
Keeping these and a few others has made me want to try even more solitary species next year lol

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Entypus unifasciatus, Monobia quadridens, Isodontia philadelphica, Sphex pensylvanicus, Sphex ichneumoneus and Astata unicolor

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Ever had success with sphecinae or pomilidae?
The Isodontia didn't do well at all for some reason, but I didn't have any problem breeding Sphex. Entypus unifasciatus bred fine in captivity so I'll try other pompilids next season

Sphex ichneumoneus
20200930_043857~2.jpg
Entypus unifasciatus
20200822_221707~2.jpg