Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens???

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm really curious... I've been looking for a C. cyaneopubescens and haven't had much success. Are there any restrictions against them or are rare?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, I'm really curious... I've been looking for a C. cyaneopubescens and haven't had much success. Are there any restrictions against them or are rare?
Not too rare. No restrictions in the US....or...anywhere as far as i know. Check botar's, Swift's, and krazy 8's....one of them surely should have some. if not, check the "for sale and trade" forum around here, you'll probably find one there.

Ack! my spelling is getting horrible :8o

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i havent seen them on Kelly or Botar's sites in awhile...i dont know they may have getten some up there now. if not check with me in a few months...i should have (hopefully) a few hundred.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
Theraphosid Breeding Project has them. If you are located in Bloom. Illinois, they are often at the All Animal Expo at the DuPage Co. fair grounds 2x a month. They are great guys.
Also, Arachnoheebs has some. His info can be found here on the boards
Jon

bassgod

Arachnopeon
Reptist Exotics have then. Just got 1 from him a couple of weeks ago.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
They are fairly hardy, and easy to care for. Also, they go through amazing color changes throughout their lifespan.
Jon

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are they hard to take care of?
Nope. Keep them bone dry (misting will make them sick and they could die), give them a water dish and something to hide in/web up and you're good to go. Some people don't even give them a water dish, and just let them go their whole lives getting moisture from prey items.

iucandi

Arachnopeon
This just sounds like the most perfect T. Are they known for being aggressive? How is their venom severity? Do they make a ton of webs?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This just sounds like the most perfect T. Are they known for being aggressive? How is their venom severity? Do they make a ton of webs?
They aren't generally going to come running out of their cage and attack you, if that's what you mean. I've never heard of anyone getting bitten by one. HOWEVER. Do not get this T and try to hold it. A few people are either very brave, very experienced, or lucky enough to have a "calm" specimen. The rest of us will tell you that these Ts can be startled by something as small as a heavy footstep in the next room, and when they startle they are GONE. They are incredibly fast, and won't hesitate to kick hairs if it comes down to it.

Once safely in their enclosure, they will 95% of the time run for their cave at the slightest disturbance, and they'll stay there unless you try to stick your tongs in there or something. This makes cage maintenance pretty easy, as well as opening the tank to dump in food.

They will web their hiding place up before and after a molt, but otherwise you'll probably see it almost all the time. They usually sit out in the open, near the mouth of their hide. And yes, they love love love to web. Mine has covered a plank of driftwood with web and dirt, and also much of the enclosure's substrate. When she's gearing up for a molt she'll make things much more elaborate, then tear it down a while after (except the web/dirt mats on the ground and the wood). I think she's unusual in this, though--most seem to leave tons of webbing up 24/7. They also like to keep their molted exoskeletons in their hide, you'll just have to leave it there until they eventually shove it out themselves. (Because the enclosure is bone-dry, there's no risk of it molding or attracting mites.)

They are fast growers and will eat like hogs if you let them--which you shouldn't, because fast growers will grow/age even faster if overfed, and their lifespans will shorten dramatically. Mine's maybe 3-4" and I feed her 3 crickets a week. Or six crickets every two weeks.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know what the big deal is about handling these guys. Their really nothing to be afraid of and really aren’t even all that defensive.. they are kind of quick but really not all that much quicker then a avicularia and for the most part they just chill... this combined with a relatively harmless venom i think makes them awesome T's that are for the most part very handleable.
thats a oic of my GBB.. its in pre molt right now so it's not quite as prety as its usuall self

iucandi

Arachnopeon
I dont know what the big deal is about handling these guys. Their really nothing to be afraid of and really aren’t even all that defensive.. they are kind of quick but really not all that much quicker then a avicularia and for the most part they just chill... this combined with a relatively harmless venom i think makes them awesome T's that are for the most part very handleable.
thats a oic of my GBB.. its in pre molt right now so it's not quite as prety as its usuall self

I WANT YOUR T SOOO BAD!!! ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!

All this talk makes me want one now, haha. Thanks for the information guys, it really helps.

iucandi

Arachnopeon
question

I have another question.....

On wiki it says there is only one species under the genus name Chromatopelma... Is this accurate and if so is it likely that there are more Chromatopelmas that have not been discovered?

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T is a GBB. She was a Christmas present from my Bro who breeds Ts. She's a nice Tarantula, makes great looking webs and is often out and about, but will run and hide in her burrow when she's frightened.

She's not been at all agressive when I've done cage maintenence. I usually toss a cricket in there and wait until she snags it and retreats to her cave to eat it b4 I remove the lid to do any maintenence. I probably don't need to take that precaution, but I figure it's a good habit to get into, especially when I eventually want to own a pokie.

I would not handle her though, more for her safety than mine. If something startled her and she fell from my hand to the floor...*splat* :(

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Do the crickets ever get stuck in her web?

My first T is a GBB. She was a Christmas present from my Bro who breeds Ts. She's a nice Tarantula, makes great looking webs and is often out and about, but will run and hide in her burrow when she's frightened.

She's not been at all agressive when I've done cage maintenence. I usually toss a cricket in there and wait until she snags it and retreats to her cave to eat it b4 I remove the lid to do any maintenence. I probably don't need to take that precaution, but I figure it's a good habit to get into, especially when I eventually want to own a pokie.

I would not handle her though, more for her safety than mine. If something startled her and she fell from my hand to the floor...*splat* :(

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do the crickets ever get stuck in her web?
Tarantulas don't seem to spin sticky webs like true spiders. Webs are for shelter, for wrapping up prey, for making mats to sit on, and for leaving little trails so they can find their way around the enclosure. :)

annie1995

Arachnopeon
I wasn't able to handle my male until he became mature. Before then he would spaz out at the slightest movement (lost him in my kitchen once just getting a molt out of there). Now for the most part he is very handleable and just alittle bit skittish. He is my absolutely favorite of my spiders, and am so sad he is at the end of his lifespan :(