• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my first attempt at mating C. cyaneopubescens (Green Botlle Blue).

I'll add details for the female and the male at a later date. This breeding report will deal with two female C. cyaneopubescens and one male. The male was gotten from Cacoseraph (Andrew).

03-13-2006

At 2:40 A.M. E.S.T. I introduced the male C. cyaneopubescens to my female C. cyaneopubescens. Which I'll call C1. Nothing really happened on this attempted. They both met each other and ran diffrent ways. I may try again tonight.

At 4:30 a.m. E.S.T. I decided to place the male into the females enclosure. I'll watch them until breeding takes place.

After several fruitless hours nothing has happened. So at 7:44 a.m. E.S.T. I removed the male. I'll try again tonight.

03-14-2006

Again tonight I introduced the male into female C1's container. After several hours of watching no mating had took place. The male was then removed and placed in his own container.

03-15-2006

Repeat of the two days before. I'll continue to introduce the two until the second female is ready to try breeding.

03-16-2006

Once again the male a female had nothing to do with each other. I will now shark tank the male in the females container for a few days.

Well I tried to introduce the male to the female one more time before shark tanking him. She killed him. No mating took place either.

Last edited:

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens breeding

Female last molted on 2-26-06
Male matured couple of months ago

Temp: 81 F

I have introduced the male to female a few times and nothing has happen.
I have been letting the male cohabitate with the female, and I have witnessed the female drum many times but the male simply stays put or walks away. Female has been very kind toward the male and not very aggressive. I have a second female that molted today, and as soon as she is ready I will attempt to mate her. I will add more detail and information on future attempts.

BPruett

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Male laid a sperm web 5-07-06

Received male on 5-09-06

5-09-06/ 5:30pm * introduced male into females cage and he quickly backed off

5-09-06/ 7:00pm * shark tanked male overnight in females cage

5-10-06/ 6:00pm * added an extra shelter and placed male in the females cage to cohabitate

Since I was 2nd in line on this breeding loan Im hoping leaving him with the female to live out his days will allow him to mate before his time has past

I will post updates

5-10-06/ One good insertion
5-12-06/ One good insertion
5-13-06/ Female had eaten the male

Only time will tell now!

Male laid a sperm web 5-07-06

Received male on 5-09-06

5-09-06/ 5:30pm * introduced male into females cage and he quickly backed off

5-09-06/ 7:00pm * shark tanked male overnight in females cage

5-10-06/ 6:00pm * added an extra shelter and placed male in the females cage to cohabitate

Since I was 2nd in line on this breeding loan Im hoping leaving him with the female to live out his days will allow him to mate before his time has past

I will post updates

5-10-06/ One good insertion
5-12-06/ One good insertion
5-13-06/ Female had eaten the male

Only time will tell now!
Its been a while but on 8-30-06 the female is setting on her new egg sac.

8-31-06 made an incubator and pulled the egg sac from mom.

10-01-06 I have a few little 1st instars roaming around

Last edited by a moderator:

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mated 10-22-05
Successful? - Ultimately unsuccessfull
Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - The female was given a gradual cooling off period for 30 days. Temperatures were gradually reduced to 68 degrees F and humidity was gradually raised to about 70%
How they were paired - Male was placed into female's container in a segretated area. This was done so that the two could be observed prior to mating and to determine compatability. The female became very interested in the male after the second day he was there. At that point, he was released, unhindered into her container.
Any observations on the hookup - Male attempted several times to hook up with the female but always ran away at the last moment. After about 12 hours, two successfull (and super fast) insertions were observed. After which, the female proceeded to pounce and killed the male.
Any special post mating care - The female's temperatures and RH were gradually adjusted to more *typical* C. cyan. conditions over the period of a month.
Time to sac - Sac noticed on 1-13-06
Care of the sac - Sac was left with female. Female was found dead on 2-4-06 and the sac was black. :(

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Unsuccessful. :(

Temperature: 80
Humidity: Around 70%

Female 1: Breeding took place on 03/09/06 with male #1. She molted out.

Female 2: Breeding took place on 04/23/06 with male #2. The male was left to cohabitate with the female for 2 weeks, at which point I removed him and sent him on to his next mating opportunity. Eggsac was laid on 08/10/06, but the eggs were not viable. My humidity must have been off because, when pulled, the eggs were completely black inside. On 11/27/06, I found the female putting the finishing touches on eggsac #2! She double-clutched. And true to form, ate the sac the same night. This also, I think, was my fault. I had wintered the room and the temperatures might have been too cold. It was 65 degrees. Although it had been this temperature for weeks, so why she would have laid right then is anybody's guess.

Female 3: I have apparently deleted all my information for this girl off my sheet, grrrrr. To the best of my recollection: She was bred in 07/06 and dropped her eggsac around Sept or Oct. She ate the sac the day before I went to pull it. She then died of unknown causes a few weeks later. :(

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sucessful
On 11-01-07 to 12-15-07 I paired 1 male with 2 females, finally she got him. No specil care or conditions other than pulling the male out after breeding, and keeping them a little more damp tha normal. Both females began to swell up to golf ball sized rumps verry shortly after the first pairing (feed them well)
As of 04-26-07 1 female made a sack. The other female is still fat but not looking gravid (I will update if she lays a sack.) I am currently sitting on 200-250 verry nice looking well developed eggs w/leggs, and a few duds. I expect them to be ready for sale trade in about 30 days.
Thanks
Sam

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Total # of slings

As of today I separated all the little girls and guys and the results are 178 live and well 32 badly deformed and 27 duds.
Thanks
Sam

Crippled

Arachnopeon
Hello, first post on this board.

samsbug, can you please give more information, like humidity and temperature, and how and when it changed?
I have read many messages where the female delivered an unfertile sac and later on died.
I think they died because the sperm didn't leave the smermathecae after laying the eggs, because of too low a humidity?

At the moment my pair mated, the male inserted, after that she attacked him, but he survived. (17 aug 2008)
What are the crucial factors for successful breeding this species? I have read the article by Bugaturov, but it still leaves many things unanswered.

Many thanks!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Three tries..... but only time will tell.

At the end of June I was able to acquire three mature pairs of Gbb. All three females had recently molted (lost some hairs in shipping), and all three males were fresh as well. When I received the females I set them up in identical setups. I allowed about a weeks time to pass to let the females get settled down and eat a few meals, and let the males eat and make sperm webs. The temps were in the upper 70’s low 80’s for the day and low 70’s for the night. Tanks were kept moist leading up to the introduction of the males. I never measure humidity so I am unsure what the exact reading was but light daily misting was done so I suspect I had it in the upper 70% range for the most part.
On July 9th I intensely watched the first pair and was able to catch the insert on video. The female was VERY nice to the male and mated with him two more times in the coming weeks. The two other females were paired up as well and inserts were witnessed. After I knew all there females were bred I then allowed the males to co habit with the ladies. That needless to say did not last to long and two females killed their mates after just one weeks time. The third remaining male lost one limb and was removed. He since then was paired up with all the females again but only one female was willing to be bred again. All females were bred before the 20th of July.
Now we sit and wait. Two of the three females are gaining weight in all the right places so that is a good sign! They are currently refusing prey items but prey is still being offered every few days and being removed if not consumed by the next morning. Additionally the females have webbed up almost ever inch of their tanks. Each one has an area they like to hang out in that has a lot more webbing.
Here is a picture of the three ladies hanging out with their men, and the video of the pairing caught on film. (take note of the scratching done by the female right after the pairing that is a great sign that the insert attempt was a good one.) I will post current pictures of the ladies when I have some free time.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLqyhRbrhZg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLqyhRbrhZg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Date of Mating: June 6,2008
Date of Sac: Sept. 2,2008

Mated once but i doubt if its successful. female started to drum and the male responded. they held hands for about 20mins then the male tried to insert. saw one pedipalp successfully inserted but i havent had the chance to see the other palp insert. after 3 months the Female laid a sac. i'm pointing towards infertile but lets just see in a few days if she eats it or not.

Update: Sept. 3,2008
well i was right. it was an infertile sac. she ate the sac after she made it. will try breeding her again

Last edited:

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Success!

Bred 2-27-09, and 4-5-09. By 5-11-09 females comes out looking very fat. Peaked in on 6-9-09 to see female with an eggsac. Pulled and opened eggsac on 7-2-09, 1st instar :D

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Successful?

Remains to be seen.

Special preliminary care?

Male & female’s final molt: approx. 3 weeks ago. Daily mistings in female’s tank for 2 weeks prior to mating. Temps. Raised to upper 70s F & moved to dark, quiet room. Adult dubia offered to female daily since final molt, taken 50% of the time. No lights used except for red headlamp during observation

Pairing?

Male placed in small container next to female’s cage vents with her exuviae. Began producing sperm web the next day, partially destroyed by nights’ end. Placed males’ container inside females enclosure & gently prodded him out. Male was VERY cautious about going near females burrow & after 15 min. or so, female came to the opening, occasionally drumming(more of a subtle vibrating, really). Male reciprocated & they repeated this for another 15 minutes until the male made a move for the burrow. It took another 30 min. before he made it half way inside the burrow & began drumming again. At this point, female no longer visible, so only indication of possible insertion was male thrusting forward towards opposite end of female’s burrow. After roughly an hour, male exited burrow on his own. Will update…

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Another pairing yesterday- both M & F were out in the open this time & very hesitant to approach one another. I decided to let them cohabitate for awhile- male was seen in female's burrow several hours later, tapping at female, who appeared to be receptive(but view is obscured by webbing). Male still alive the next morning.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful? - Yes

Special Care? - Female molted on 31-Oct-09 and was paired with a male on loan from user "elportoed" on 27-Dec-09 @ 4:20 pm; temp. 21-24C. Female drummed as male approached her burrow. He went inside and remained motionless; removed him a few hours later (unknown if insertion took place). They were paired again on 28-Dec-09 in the evening (male made a sperm web earlier in the day) and left to cohabitate; temp. 21-24C. Checked back around 1:00 am and the male had already been eaten.

Post-mating care? - As I observed no pairing, I still treated her as if she was gravid. For a few weeks she ate a lot, but then went on a fast which lasted for at least two months. Thinking she may be in pre-molt due to her unassuming abdomen size, I tried slightly flooding her enclosure in order to trigger a new "cycle."

Time to sac - Female webbed up her burrow with thicker webbing than usual. After a couple weeks I decided to peek inside and found her with a sac. It was laid presumably between 18-Apr-10 and 30-Apr-10.

Care of the sac - Sac was pulled on 27-May-10 to reveal big 1st instars and some bad eggs (about 1/5th were bad). Sac was then artificially incubated.

Time to emerge - Slings started molting into 2nd instars on 23-Jun-10.

Final details - Final count: 93 good slings.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Successful

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens breeding report.

Female molted jan 7th 2011
Male 001 maturity unknown.
Male 002 Matured in nov 2010

Male 002 introduced to cobaitiate 2/20/11
male 001 had been cycled in each week.
male 002 was eaten on 3/2/11
Male 001 had been eaten a few weeks later.

Female layed a sac 5/18/ 11
Sac pulled 6/3/11 (day15)
185 good eggs 1 black one.

Incubated over water using tights.
Humidity at 99%

I can see nearly full development within some of the eggs. (day 15)

Eggs with legs: June 5th (day 17)
About 20 infertile eggs give or take.

First instar: Couple popped into first instar 6/15/11 (day 27)
6/16/11 All but 2 have molted into first instar (day 28)

Second instar: 7/10/11 9 (day 52)
7/11/11 Some are still molting. (day 53)
Final count is 148

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Breeding attempt successful.

Preparation
Both male and female were subjected to seasonal changes. In addition to the natural temperature and daylight fluctuations, both individuals were subjected to a humid spring and early summer, and a more dry late summer, fall/winter season. After the male matured in early January, both enclosures were slowly allowed to get more and more humid as the temperatures warmed up, until the female molted in March. After that point on, both enclosures were allowed to get very humid, around the low to mid 70s. This was accomplished by slightly flooding the waterdish and restricting nearly all the ventilation. The enclosures were allowed to air out every now and then, to prevent stagnation.

Pairing

After a month of humid spring, the male was finally introduced into the female's enclosure, always in the evening or very early morning as far away from her current position as possible, sometimes in a cup, and sometimes just hanging from the cage wall. Male was often supervised, or simply left inside the enclosure overnight. Temperatures during pairing fluctuated with the seasons, but usually hovered around the mid 70s.

Courtship that was observed was long, typically lasting eight hours, but sometimes as little as three (the time measured being between when the male is introduced, up until the female chases him off). The female would usually immediately begin drumming and slowly inching her way towards his location, while the male would make every attempt to distance himself from the female, or remain perfectly still if she is far away.
[YOUTUBE]NKDr5yCdyik&hd=1[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cC-pHbaGGyc&hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

After about three hours of this, assuming the female hasn't become hostile, the male would then begin to slowly approach the now stationary-but-still-tapping female. The male does not tap, but instead walks with a quivering gait as he approaches the female.
When they make contact, the male would repeatedly attempt to lift up the female and get an insert, but would back out at the last minute, taking a few quivering steps backwards in between tries. The male would rest for approximately ten minutes before making another attempt. The female would continue to tap throughout. Often, the male would simply turn around and walk off, leaving the tapping female behind. If this happened, it usually took him another couple of hours to approach the female again.
[YOUTUBE]gRV-C3PJmEE&hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

After several more hours of this, the female would eventually have had enough (or perhaps the male would have made an insert; it was never observed) and would chase the male off. Although this species is known for it's hostility towards it's males, this particular female seemed to be quite tolerant of him, and had even caught him on several occasions, but only ever injured him twice.

The two were paired at least once a week for the about three months until July, when she became more hostile and took two of his back legs. An insert was never observed, and must have taken place on one of the his overnight stays. For the duration of the pairing, the humidity was kept high, and the female was fed more heavily than usual at about two prey items per week, usually the day before the male is introduced. The male was always allowed to make a spermweb before any pairings.

Eggsac preparation and brooding

The female was continually kept quite humid and well fed in the weeks after the final pairing. In time, she began to develop a more "round" abdomen, was obviously gravid when "candled", and began to refuse food. She was rehoused, the reasoning being that the damage of her web from recent parings, hidden food remains, coupled with the high humidity could create an unsanitary condition for a possible eggsac.
About a week after her rehouse, she began to build an enclosed web pocket among some branches, and was discovered with an eggsac shortly after.
The female was kept very humid while brooding, at around the high seventies to low eighties. This was accomplished simply by restricting ventilation and keeping the water dish full. The substrate was also still a bit damp from the rehouse, which helped stabalize the humidity with minimal disturbances. Again, the temperatures were allowed to fluctuate with the season, and at this time was in the mid to high 70s.

[SUP]female's nest[/SUP]

Pulling the eggsac

After three weeks, the eggsac was pulled to be artificially incubated. The empty sac was given back to the female, and she cared for it for another month before it was removed completely. After it was removed, she was gradually kept less humid as summer progressed, back to the sixties.

The eggsac itself contained 232 eggs, with the majority of them unfertilized. There were no post embryos yet, though you can see the legs and other structures inside the egg beginning to take shape.

[SUP]opened eggsac[/SUP]

Incubating and caring for the eggs/post embryos/first instars

The eggs were incubated suspended on pantyhose over water using a small plastic storage container with the top cut off and pantyhose wrapped around the bottom. This was placed in a larger plastic container lined with moist paper towel and ventilation holes drilled on the lid and sides.
The water and moist paper towels provided all the necessary humidty, so the exact value was not recorded. The temperature during the incubation until second instar ranged from the mid 70s to low 80s.

[SUP]The incubator[/SUP]

Eggs to Post embryos

The eggs began to "hatch" into first embryos a day after the sac was pulled. Immediately, there were many instances of cannibalism, mostly of post embryos latching on to neighbouring eggs and sucking them dry. Those that did were easily distinguished from the others by the presence of an enlarged abdomen. No attempt was made to discourage cannibalism, though the remains of the eaten eggs were removed whenever possible. A few days after the last one emerged, the obviously dead and unfertilized eggs were removed. In total, there were 83 post embryos.

[SUP]Post embryo with unhatched sibling in the top right[/SUP]

Post embryos to first instar

After about 11 days, the post embryos started to molt into first instars. There were more instances of cannibalism, as the newly emerged first instars began to take advantage of the slower post embros that have yet to molt. Ironically, the majority of the individuals who had cannibalized in the post embryo stage took one extra day to molt into first instar, and some were eaten by their non cannibal siblings. Again, nothing was done to discourage this behavior, except the removal of the remains. Of the 83 post emnbryos, 75 successfully molted into first instars.

[SUP]First instar eating a post embryo sibling[/SUP]

First instar to second instar

The first instars took one month to molt into second instars. During that time, the paper towel was re-moistened as needed, and the pantyhose spot cleaned as necessary, as they began to defecate, and there were some instances of mold. As time passed, they began to darken, and began moving much more deliberately and quickly, and even webbing the bottom of the pantyhose. Aside from the initial cannibalism of post embryos, no further cannibalism was observed. About a week before they molted, they began to cluster together very closely, and in the few days before their molt, they appeared to darken overnight.

[SUP]darkened, clustered first instars[/SUP]

Unlike before they all seemed to molt at the same time (except for one slow individual), and were all done in three days time. There was great variation, with the cannibals being a bit larger than the non cannibals. Some individuals have some minor bent legs as a result of being in a large cluster while molting. Two individuals did not survive - one got stuck mid molt, and the other died in the first instar stage. A third unfortunate individual was webbed down by already emerged second instars when it molted, resulting in severe deformity. Shortly after they had all molted, they were seperated into their new enclosures. The final count is 73 second instars

[SUP]The one on the left was stuck mid molt, the other is severely deformed.[/SUP]

[SUP]Second instar eating a deceased first instar[/SUP]

Final timeline

April 3 2011 - June - pairing at least once a week

July 5 2011 - Rehouse

July 16 2011 - Sac was laid

August 6 2011 - sac pulled, 232 eggs total.

August 7 - 9 2011 - post embryos hatched. 83 total

August 17 2011 - First instars started to emerge, empty sac taken from female

September 16 2011 - Second instars emerging

September 19 2011 - Last molted into second instar, 73 viable slings

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Success!!! Very excited and this was long past due as I had tried breeding this specie with several different females and finallly got it!

Successful Breeding : Took place on approximatly 7-4-2011 Sac made 9-25-2011

Breeding : Female and Male were introduced and the male entered the enclosure tapping, but hesitant. The female began leg shaking and immediatly went after the male. . After a short 5 seconds of insertion he pulled back and the female quickly grabbed him and ate him. I found it interesting that all my other female GBB's I had bred were not aggresive, never killed the male, and then when this one did her egg sac was awesome. In addition, she was only about one molt from maturity and much smaller than the others I bred. At 32 days of incubation the sac looked great and full and I had over 200+ 1st instar spiderlings zooming around. Since then I never lost one and they all have molted 4 times (the ones I held on to :D) or so.

Attachments

JODECS

Arachnosquire
FIRST FEMALE GBB

* Successful- YES

* Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - Temp was maintained at 30-32 degrees , dry environment and Feed before mating .

* How they were paired - put the male on the opposite side of the female and let nature takes its course.... no shark tank and no other special techniques

* Any observations on the hookup - the whole mating process took 4-5 hours with onsertion lasting only under a minute.

* Any special post mating care - after mating then female showed Post mating rituals, she was feed with adult Dubia roaches and occasional lateralis roach. water dish always filled up with water when dried up ..

* Time to sac - eggsac produce after 1 month and 21 days

* Care of the sac - i just leaved the sac with the mom for 26 days

* Time to emerge/hatch - pulled the eggsac after 26 days ...there were no bad eggs nor undeveloped ones

* The final details - 55 pcs 2ns instars sling poduced all in all

--tnx for viewing :biggrin:

JODECS_EXOTICS

---------- Post added 06-03-2012 at 02:49 AM ----------

2nd FEMALE GBB ( much larger than the First)

* Successful- YES

* Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - Temp was maintained at 30-32 degrees , dry environment and Feed before mating .

* How they were paired - put the male on the opposite side of the female and let nature takes its course.... no shark tank and no other special techniques

* Any observations on the hookup - the whole mating process took 3 hours with insertion lasting only under a minute.

* Any special post mating care - after mating then female showed Post mating rituals, she was feed with adult Dubia roaches and occasional lateralis roach. water dish always filled up with water when dried up ...had to alternate wet and dry this time to trigger the eggsac production

Moments Before Impact

* Time to sac - eggsac produce after 1 month and 17 days

* Care of the sac - i just leaved the sac with the mom for 21 days

* Time to emerge/hatch - pulled the eggsac after 21days ...there were no bad eggs nor undeveloped ones

* The final details - 112 pcs 2ns instars sling poduced all in all

--tnx for viewing:laugh:

JODECS_EXOTICS

Last edited:

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Breeding Report
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (GBB)

Successful

I bought this young female from Olaf Hopp at the SEAS show January 2012. She was kept at temperatures of around 70'f on the bottom shelf. She moulted on the 28th April 2012.

Pairing
I managed to get a mature male on a breeding loan from Peter Bowden, a fellow MISC ( Manchester invert and spider club) member. The male was witnessed doing a sperm web on 25th May 2012, He was then placed in a cricket tub overnight within the females enclosure (shark tanked).
On the night of 26th May 2012, the male was gently released into the higher part of the females enclosure. Within ten minutes he gingerly started shaking all over and began tapping away, whist slowly moving forward towards her. The female seemed very receptive and started tapping in response, a good insert was witnessed after fifteen minutes, a week later the pair were reintroduced, and again I witnessed another successful insert.

Post mating care
I kept the females enclosure at around 70'-72'f for the next three months. She was fed her usual Dubia roach every two weeks or a large brown cricket once a week. Towards the end of August I noticed her abdomen was getting larger, I then placed her enclosure on the top shelf in the spider room at around 82'f and started wetting the substrata around the water dish. I checked on her twice a week and found an eggsack on the 11th September.

Pulled sack
11th October 2012, counting around 70 EWL and N2s also around 70 bad eggs (dry/black/clumped together).

Moulted to spiderlings
1st November 2012, But i had to seperate them immediately as they started to eat the remaining N2s.

Total 52