Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Open Thread

Josh Mulhern

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I just ordered my first GBB 1". This will be my first smaller T so I have been preparing for her arrival.

Is there any advice you all could offer?
Thanks!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hello everyone, I just ordered my first GBB 1". This will be my first smaller T so I have been preparing for her arrival.

Thanks!
Keep it dry! Give anchor points and water dish. Sit back and watch it web! And read this whole thread if you haven’t yet!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel

Thanks!
People have posted a lot of useful information to this thread. But generally, dry substrate, nicely ventilated enclosure and a water dish. Make sure that the enclosure has attachment points for webbing, and I do include a hide to get them started.

ratmilk

Arachnopeon
Pandora finally started webbing up her enclosure a week after she was rehoused. I'm absolutely fascinated by her and have never watched something like this before. She's hypotic. :astonished:
Also, no issues with itchiness/allergies from hair kicking now she's in an enclosure with ventilation only on the back half. I'm so relieved because I've totally fallen for her.
When we rehoused her the first touch on the butt with a paintbrush made her leap two inches in the air :eek:

Attachments

Josh Mulhern

Arachnopeon
Keep it dry! Give anchor points and water dish. Sit back and watch it web! And read this whole thread if you haven’t yet!
People have posted a lot of useful information to this thread. But generally, dry substrate, nicely ventilated enclosure and a water dish. Make sure that the enclosure has attachment points for webbing, and I do include a hide to get them started.
Thanks! Just finished reading this entire thread as well. I'll be setting up the enclosure within the next day since she will be here tuesday. I'll post pictures when I get her settled.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! Just finished reading this entire thread as well. I'll be setting up the enclosure within the next day since she will be here tuesday. I'll post pictures when I get her settled.
Sounds like a plan man! You will enjoy it!

Josh Mulhern

Arachnopeon
So I just started rehydrating the coco fiber and looks like I grabbed the wrong stuff by accident. Its Coco husk and it looks more like mulch. Do you all think it should still be fine as long as it is dry when I introduce the T?

Also, I have a bag of creature soil laying around that I have never tried and was wondering if it is any good.
Its ingredients are Peat moss, soil, sand & carbon all blended together.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So I just started rehydrating the coco fiber and looks like I grabbed the wrong stuff by accident. Its Coco husk and it looks more like mulch. Do you all think it should still be fine as long as it is dry when I introduce the T?

Also, I have a bag of creature soil laying around that I have never tried and was wondering if it is any good.
Its ingredients are Peat moss, soil, sand & carbon all blended together.
Ultimately it should be fine.

With that said, I did that very thing last week when I rehoused my Phormictopus. I don't like the look of feel of the fibre, it looks like a bid matted mess to me. I threw the fibre mess into the garden as mulch and started over.

I've never used the Creature Soil product, but the ingredients that you list look fine. There should not be any problems.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Do GBB's in the first few instars still need to be kept dry or do they need things more wet?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long in your experience do slings take to settle in?
If you'd consider eating and webbing a sign of settling in, and 1.5 inch as a sling, (almost juvie) then I'd say it could be as early as 1 day.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
If you'd consider eating and webbing a sign of settling in, and 1.5 inch as a sling, (almost juvie) then I'd say it could be as early as 1 day.
Oh yeah, mine was quick to web up and find a home. It ate the first day, but has not eaten since. Just curious. I think it may be possible pre-molt but this is my first sling so I'm pretty dumb. Learning as I go!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Do GBB's in the first few instars still need to be kept dry or do they need things more wet?
I would keep on moist substrate until 3/4” to 1”...then dry with a water dish.

How long in your experience do slings take to settle in?
They settle in pretty quick...couple days. I recently rehoused a group of 4 and they were all ready to go the very next day.