Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Open Thread

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
@Colorado Ts I will once I get to take a proper picture! It's in its enclosure that's inside an old aquarium (my way to make things cat-proof, haha), so pics always end up blurry/not doing the colors justice.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Ordering a C. Cyaneopubescens sling soon! Set up an enclosure in preparation. Any critiques? Suggestions? I'm not getting it until next week - so the enclosure will have time to dry out while I'm out and about in another state.

Attachments

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Ordering a C. Cyaneopubescens sling soon! Set up an enclosure in preparation. Any critiques? Suggestions? I'm not getting it until next week - so the enclosure will have time to dry out while I'm out and about in another state.
That looks like a great sling enclosure. What size sling are you expecting?

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
About 3/4" to an inch. I'm really hoping such stays consistent, but in case it's smaller, I've also created a smaller one.

I think I should possibly increase the height, but I've never worked with slings before. Do you think this is suitable for an inch sling?

Androxian

Arachnopeon
@Colorado Ts Just another quick question regarding feeding C. cyaneopubescens. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that if you have a GBB with an abdomen like a Brachypelma, you're doing it wrong. Is there an ideal size for the abdomen compared to the carapace that one should aim for? and if so approximately what size should one shoot for? I know as slings it's okay if their abdomens are slightly larger because they're babies growing up but once I get her to the juvenile/adult stage, I'd like to know what that ideal abdomen size is.

I think I should possibly increase the height, but I've never worked with slings before. Do you think this is suitable for an inch sling?
I would probably increase the depth just a tad, but you can always do that once the sling arrives and you get to see what size it actually is. So if it's the size you're expecting you should be fine, if it's a bit bigger, then perhaps considering giving it another inch/inch and half of room. But otherwise looks like a good sling enclosure! :)

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
I would probably increase the depth just a tad, but you can always do that once the sling arrives and you get to see what size it actually is. So if it's the size you're expecting you should be fine, if it's a bit bigger, then perhaps considering giving it another inch/inch and half of room. But otherwise looks like a good sling enclosure! :)
Yeah, I could only assume it depends on how big the sling is at the time of arrival! Thank you for your input. :)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
About 3/4" to an inch. I'm really hoping such stays consistent, but in case it's smaller, I've also created a smaller one.
I get that, the last few shipments that I’ve brought in...I had these nice 4X4X4 AMAC boxes prepared...Then the slings come in and it’s 2oz soufflé cups again... :bag:

I would say that it’s just fine for a 1” sling.

@Colorado Ts Just another quick question regarding feeding C. cyaneopubescens. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that if you have a GBB with an abdomen like a Brachypelma, you're doing it wrong. Is there an ideal size for the abdomen compared to the carapace that one should aim for? and if so approximately what size should one shoot for? I know as slings it's okay if their abdomens are slightly larger because they're babies growing up but once I get her to the juvenile/adult stage, I'd like to know what that ideal abdomen size is.
The slings will have a blocky body shape from the time that they are tiny. There is a moult where they lose their tan legs and gain their blue legs. The moult right after that, the slings will really trim down a lot. So from that moult forward, they need to look slim, trim and gangly to have a proper body conformation; the carapace will be noticeably larger than the abdomen.

A18C6645-7F2D-4551-A53F-89F58D4347C3.jpeg

This juvenile moulted a few weeks ago. It’s lost the blocky body shape, it now has longer fore-legs and the abdomen has lost a lot of mass and is now noticeably smaller than the carapace. This is the normal body shape of an adult or juvenile GBB.

Last edited:

Kulticose

Arachnopeon
GBBs are one of my favorite new worlds. They look beautiful, web like crazy, and are easy to find. Also, the coloration they have as slings look similar to the coloration of some dwarf species in my opinion.

ratmilk

Arachnopeon
I rehoused my 9cm DLS GBB a week ago and love her new tank! She's so much more visible and has lots more anchor poiunts. Hopefully she'll start webbing soon...
I'm feeding a large mealworm once or twice a week at the moment. Is it enough or should I up her feeding?
View attachment VID-20200630-WA0011.mp4

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
.... This is my first sling - any tips??
I would say that from what I see in your pictures, it looks good. Keep the substrate dry, make that the sling has a water dish, and make sure that you include attachment ponts so that it can web.

Rehousing my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings

My Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola slings are now rehoused. My Lasiodora parahybana had surprised me with its growth, so it has been rehoused.

Now its time to rehouse my GBB slings. Of the 5 slings, 4 of them are ready to be rehoused into larger enclosures. My trouble child, GBB#3, is still small enough that it is living quite comfortably in its 4X4X4 AMAC box.

E88DA3A8-52F9-4E3C-AD43-0EFD860CD388.jpeg

I went ahead and set up all the enclosures.

E41A8774-6974-435C-9B09-1F685A4D413D.jpeg

The substrate is coco fibre. I added branches and twigs for attachment points. The water dish is a 2 oz soufflé cup.

The substrate is still too moist, so the enclosures are sitting outside on the deck, slowly drying out. I should be able to rehouse the 4 slings tomorrow or Friday.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
I would say that from what I see in your pictures, it looks good. Keep the substrate dry, make that the sling has a water dish, and make sure that you include attachment ponts so that it can web.
Will do! It's already made quite the contraption.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Rehouse

I setup the new enclosures a couple days ago. The coco fibre substrate was way too moist, so I set the enclosures outside to dry, yesterday was hot & breezy...dried out nicley.

B3F31901-4B31-4CA5-94D2-BD813802FD4A.jpeg

I’m only rehousing 4 of the 5 slings. GBB #3 is behind in development compared to the others. I’ll rehouse that one at another time. The enclosure for GBB#3 is setup and ready, so I won’t need to complete that task.

CB4FECD2-431E-44AD-BD9E-48E0C6F9389C.jpeg

Some of the slings are a solid 3”, while a couple are much closer to 3.5”. They did not enjoy leaving their old homes, several got agitated and a bit feisty. No hair kicking though, so that was nice.

6D67155F-A2C1-4C0D-995E-EDCEC60D69A2.jpeg

I usually like to include some substrate from the old enclosure, into the new enclosure. I believe that the old substrate holds familiar smells and will help the spider reduce stress and get over the changes quicker.

This time there was just so much webbing, I transferred the old hide with webbing attached. Each of the spiders made a beeline to its old hide.

Once the slings are transferred, the label is peeled off the old enclosure, and added to the new enclosure.

DCA52916-4842-47A6-BA90-E832655663A4.jpeg

After an hour or so several started exploring their new homes.

D3FA5A26-3012-4CD9-88EB-2473EEB1A8B2.jpeg

The old enclosures were washed in hot soapy water. These AMAC boxes are not scratch resistant, so each is washed and cleaned using only my hands. The old enclosures are then set out to dry, then stored for use when my next order of slings comes in; or my current slings in soufflé cups reach 1”+/- and are transferred.

DBA8D473-5561-408F-8269-DB86EDCC9361.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Rehouse

I setup the new enclosures a couple days ago. The coco fibre substrate was way too moist, so I set the enclosures outside to dry, yesterday was hot & breezy...dried out nicley.

View attachment 351289

I’m only rehousing 4 of the 5 slings. GBB #3 is behind in development compared to the others. I’ll rehouse that one at another time. The enclosure for GBB#3 is setup and ready, so I won’t need to complete that task.

View attachment 351290

Some of the slings are a solid 3”, while a couple are much closer to 3.5”. They did not enjoy leaving their old homes, several got agitated and a bit feisty. No hair kicking though, so that was nice.

View attachment 351291

I usually like to include some substrate from the old enclosure, into the new enclosure. I believe that the old substrate holds familiar smells and will help the spider reduce stress and get over the changes quicker.

This time there was just so much webbing, I transferred the old hide with webbing attached. Each of the spiders made a beeline to its old hide.

Once the slings are transferred, the label is peeled off the old enclosure, and added to the new enclosure.

View attachment 351292

After an hour or so several started exploring their new homes.

View attachment 351293

The old enclosures were washed in hot soapy water. These AMAC boxes are not scratch resistant, so each is washed and cleaned using only my hands. The old enclosures are then set out to dry, then stored for use when my next order of slings comes in; or my current slings in soufflé cups reach 1”+/- and are transferred.

View attachment 351295
Nice, thats funny that some of yours didnt want to leave, just touched mine with the paintbrush and it willingly and slowly just waltzed out off it webbing into new enclsoure.

I found with this big jump up in size of enclosure it is taking longer to feel secure and really start webbing. Im guessing it will take until after it molts to really adapt and web the whole enclosure. I suspect yours may exhibit the same behavior. As this is something I obsevred in the initial rehouse.

But looking at those im not sure theyre between 3-3.5in :troll: jk. either way they are good looking!!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Nice, thats funny that some of yours didnt want to leave, just touched mine with the paintbrush and it willingly and slowly just waltzed out off it webbing into new enclsoure.

I found with this big jump up in size of enclosure it is taking longer to feel secure and really start webbing. Im guessing it will take until after it molts to really adapt and web the whole enclosure. I suspect yours may exhibit the same behavior. As this is something I obsevred in the initial rehouse.

But looking at those im not sure theyre between 3-3.5in :troll: jk. either way they are good looking!!
Yeah, the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens were less than pleased. One of them kept digging into the webbing, did not want to leave its enclosure. Another would get right to the edge, stop and dig in...it just plain said, ”NOPE”.

The Phormictopus, for the most part, were so cool about it. I basically just tapped them with the paintbrush and they strolled on out...well 3 of the 8 were less than pleased to be rehoused.

The Phormictopus were comfortable after a couple hours, and looked settled in after a couple days. Everyone of the Phormictopus has really adjusted to their new accommodations. They spend most of their time in their burrows with occasional forays to roam the enclosure exploring...then returning to their burrow, sitting for long periods and then exploring again. Most of their activity is at dusk or early evening.

These little guys, I’m with you...it may take them awhile to settle in to their new digs. After a couple hours...they still don’t look accepting of being in a larger enclosure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens were less than pleased. One of them kept digging into the webbing, did not want to leave its enclosure. Another would get right to the edge, stop and dig in...it just plain said, ”NOPE”.

The Phormictopus, for the most part, were so cool about it. I basically just tapped them with the paintbrush and they strolled on out...well 3 of the 8 were less than pleased to be rehoused.

The Phormictopus were comfortable after a couple hours, and looked settled in after a couple days. Everyone of the Phormictopus has really adjusted to their new accommodations. They spend most of their time in their burrows with occasional forays to roam the enclosure exploring...then returning to their burrow, sitting for long periods and then exploring again. Most of their activity is at dusk or early evening.

These little guys, I’m with you...it may take them awhile to settle in to their new digs. After a couple hours...they still don’t look accepting of being in a larger enclosure.
I love reading how behavior is different between indivudals!! mine is soooo laid back, not bolty at all never retreats when distrubed sits right out in the open, and almost never looses much hairs due to kicking.

And yeah mine has just started to web after 1 week i think its going to be a long slow process to get to the same web castle state it was at. . He has declared home base under a leaf and thats the only place it has webbed or seemed to explore so far. Sits right there. IMG_4258.JPG ,

Attachments

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Settling In

93B8FAE4-FD63-40DE-BA5C-27BCC3872B91.jpeg

I watched this juvenile web the beginnings of its new home last night. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens web a lot, but honestly not as much as a D.diamantinensis.

88D46626-D8E2-464C-A844-9B6104AC57EE.jpeg

All 4 of the slings have settled in nicely and started webbing their new web tunnels. Though everything looks pretty sparse at this phase.

A523632A-A4C5-445D-9E81-5531B33AB31B.jpeg

I did not see a single stress pose and all the spiders were very greedy feeders today.

GBB#3 Update

This little guy is looking stressed and is hunkered down inside its webbing. I’m hoping that I’m just miss reading this and the sling is simply getting ready to moult...but yeah, not a happy camper.