Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Open Thread

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Waiting on another sling to molt soon and looked over at the gbb is on his back in the hide. Here’s to hoping to hit the 1” mark.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Mine is still hiding... Is more than a month normal? I'm worried she might be dead but that's just my worried tarantula owner self speaking.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
My GBB is special, its the only one ive had and when it was a baby it lived in a spice jar that my now-dead best friend gave me.
Bummer, huh?

I read that they were heavy webbers, and my experience with this one as a juvie showed me that enough that i set up its adult enc with baby doll limbs sticking up from the sub. Not the best idea.
I read that they were sexually dimorphic (by the carapace) when juvies, for that reason and my lack of a microscope at his last molt make me think he's close to hooking out. Can anyone confirm or deny dimorphism?

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Just made it through the entire thread! I have been wanting to get one local so I do not have to pay even more for shipping. Best I have seen is about $75 to $80 each around the 1" mark. Does that seem steep to you?

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Just made it through the entire thread! I have been wanting to get one local so I do not have to pay even more for shipping. Best I have seen is about $75 to $80 each around the 1" mark. Does that seem steep to you?
Nah that seems fair, 1" is well established/ not as fragile as smaller

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Moulty Moulty

My Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are in another moult cycle. 2 have moulted so far, 3 have yet to moult.

6AE20FAA-21E3-4700-9336-89B1F45652E6.jpeg

The juveniles adjusted to their new enclosures long ago. They are webbing up their hides and creating web tunnels, but progress has been slow. I love this species...so cool.

TheOnlyBest_

Arachnopeon
loving this thread.

Wondering, can you over crowd a GBB enclosure? Setting up a new one - my set up seemed fine last time but we've outgrown it, lots of webbing and made its own hide.

Here's how I have it set up now - aesthetically I love it but I'm worried it'll be too crowded.

I'm thinking of removing some of the higher flowers so it won't web to the lid.

20200817_185619.jpg 20200817_185624.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
loving this thread.

Wondering, can you over crowd a GBB enclosure? Setting up a new one - my set up seemed fine last time but we've outgrown it, lots of webbing and made its own hide.

Here's how I have it set up now - aesthetically I love it but I'm worried it'll be too crowded.

I'm thinking of removing some of the higher flowers so it won't web to the lid.

View attachment 356790 View attachment 356791
Holy cow that’s like Mardi Gras in a box.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron

Reminds me of Grim Fandango. Nerd points for everyone who gets that reference without googling.

emmarie

Arachnopeon
New to the hobby, well I've been fascinated with T's for awhile now and finally made the jump in owning one. I've had this guy for about a month now. He's (he/she) been super good when it comes to feeding. The first picture was taken within the first week, until I decided that I needed to add more substrate and some anchor points. He wasn't happy at first, but in the morning I noticed that he made these super cool web tunnels and figured that he was satisfied. The video is a bit shaky, apologies for that, I was trying to capture his hard work. He's stopped feeding the past few days and his colors aren't as bright, I figured that he's in pre molt for the time being, I'm anxious waiting for the first visible molt. I just would like to check in with you all to make sure that he's cozy. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice! I realize that this enclosure is a bit big for him but it's what I had handy, he hasn't seemed to mind.

C02FE6D9-A78E-4568-96C4-242D047AA9D2.jpeg 5985378B-B474-47FF-86D4-74F89247DF9A.jpeg
View attachment IMG_6822.MP4

Attachments

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
Reviving a dead thread here but does this substrate look too moist? I'm going to add a water dish and was just wondering if this will be fine until it dries out a bit

Attachments

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Reviving a dead thread here but does this substrate look too moist? I'm going to add a water dish and was just wondering if this will be fine until it dries out a bit
Any amount of moisture is too much for these guys, but as long as the lid has a ton of ventilation it should be fine to let it dry out on it's own. I'd say you could also give it some more room to do it's webbing, though it should be fine like that until it molts and then you'll want to move it to something bigger.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Any amount of moisture is too much for these guys, but as long as the lid has a ton of ventilation it should be fine to let it dry out on it's own. I'd say you could also give it some more room to do it's webbing, though it should be fine like that until it molts and then you'll want to move it to something bigger.
So do you even keep your GBB slings on bone dry sub? Just with a water dish? Thanks

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
Alright thanks, it's just cus the Coco fibre didn't have enough time to dry before it arrived, the lid has one of those pop out vents so I think it should be fine

I do have something bigger for it to moult into it was just a bit too spacious at the moment

What would you recommend I do if I needed to speed up the process?

Last edited:

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
So do you even keep your GBB slings on bone dry sub? Just with a water dish? Thanks
Yes. When I first got mine as a sling (from an expo, so not shipped) it was in a vile with slightly moist sub and it refused to touch the ground. All sources including Tom Moran said keep it dry. It was barely an inch at that time.

Alright thanks, it's just cus the Coco fibre didn't have enough time to dry before it arrived, the lid has one of those pop out vents so I think it should be fine

I do have something bigger for it to moult into it was just a bit too spacious at the moment

What would you recommend I do if I needed to speed up the process?
Wait. It might not love it but it will be fine if there is enough ventilation. Or you could probably move it to the roomier one, these guys do fine with a little extra space.

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
Okay, I think it needs more room to web then, the bigger one is quite a bit bigger so I could either use that or dry out the current substrate

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Okay, I think it needs more room to web then, the bigger one is quite a bit bigger so I could either use that or dry out the current substrate
How much bigger? Can you post a pic of them side by side? The sub in the first one doesn't look swampy or anything, it shouldn't take too long to dry. You could even take out some of the sub in there giving it a bit more head room.