Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Open Thread

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
How long have you guys gone w/o feeding slings?
If they are in premolt I will go for as long as they need to molt. I think recently the Grammostola rosea sling I got in August went for at least two months without eating.

Otherwise I feed them and water them weekly. If I am going to be out of town more than 10 days, I'll leave my slings with a friend.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My slings will usually stop feeding when they are in hard premoult...and don't start feeding again until they are about a week post moult...fangs turn black...then I offer prey items.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Mine has gone 3 weeks without feeding. Out of my five slings he’s eaten the least amount total hands down, and the chunkiest, but when he eats he’d be number one for great eaters. I’m bad with measurements, but think he’s sub .75” and pretty sure he’s in premolt again.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Mine has gone 3 weeks without feeding. Out of my five slings he’s eaten the least amount total hands down, and the chunkiest, but when he eats he’d be number one for great eaters. I’m bad with measurements, but think he’s sub .75” and pretty sure he’s in premolt again.
Yeah it's been about two now for me. I like to think she's in premolt considering how secretive she's been, but there's no way to completely find out.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My GBB finally figured out how to moult! :rofl: She's positively gorgeous and much better at hunting now than she was before. I am so proud of her!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My GBB finally figured out how to moult! :rofl: She's positively gorgeous and much better at hunting now than she was before. I am so proud of her!
Nice! Mine has figured out to drag out its molt and teach me patience...which isn’t working out well for me. Perhaps it doesn’t appreciate me calling it thick and this is payback.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I refer the gbb as semi arboreal but the intent is more about the enclosure setup having a little more height than a terrestrial enclosure to allow for webbing. Personally it works for me, they don’t quite fit the all terrestrial or all arboreal box. Maybe call them semi terrestrial and debate solved. 😁

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
That's how I see it as well, mine has a terrestrial setup with basically some sticks standing up a bit to allow for more webbing. My sling seems to accept this very well and basically has webbed over everything in its enclosure. I don't think that a setup like that hurts it, since it seems to use every space there is.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been keeping them since the came into the hobby. And they like to burrow but they will build an extensive web funnel. The also like to build a molting spot above ground and have a resting spot that will look a little tree fort. When given enough room above, mine spends most of their time there in the open. The burrow is only for hiding. Molting is done above ground in a separate web funnel.

When I say they are semi aboreal I mean.

Semi aboreal- often inhabiting and frequenting trees but not completely arboreal.

They require a terrestrial setup but.... but they will frequenting inhabit areas above ground.

In the wild, when they have to deal with ants and weather conditions, they sometimes become completely arboreal for some period.

If you keep them without being able to dig, you are going to strees them. And yes, I have had several, mostly males, that never did dig.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I think it was yesterday. At most the day before.
I’ve had mine maybe 1.5 months and the first molt was a small increase. Noticeably smaller growth spurt compared to my avics. But he did seem to have a lot more color to him which is what I’m looking forward to.

ErikElvis

Newb
Yeah still has the vibrant sling color. Prob won’t try to feed till this weekend. He refused food the week before

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Mine ate one meal the first week, went into premolt for three, ate 2-3 meals For a week and now in premolt again I’m sure. He comes in and out of his burrow, but mostly in it now and ignoring the area he previously webbed. I can’t tell if it’s just his normal cycle or if it’s because he cast off an injured leg from shipping.