Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens juvenile Enclosure

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Hi Folks,

I need some help here if possible.

I am amazed by the above tarantula and have been looking into getting a 6-8cm juvenile and unsure what size of enclosure to use.

Someone I know uses 32.50 x D:22 x H:21cm enclosure from the spider shop but isn’t this far too big?

Also I know this is a dry species but is it ok to put in fresh substrate or do I need to wait until it’s bone dry before using? Lastly I am worried about the left over or un eaten food is this easy to spot due to it being a heavy Webber.

Sorry if these questions are daft I have a Nhandu Chromatus juvenile and I find it very easy to find left over food haha

Thanks very much

David

Myrlina

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens are pretty easy to keep. I raised one from about the size you say to adult in an enclosure of similar dimensions, they can cope with quite big spaces. At first it webbed up one corner, by adulthood almost the whole enclosure was a web palace! The substrate does not have to be bone dry but pretty dry. I would lay out damp stuff in a seed tray or something overnight, coco fibre dries pretty quick. I use a water bowl and overflow it occasionally. There must be food boluses in the web but the enclosure is dry enough not to get mould. I would use a piece of cork bark leaned at an angle against the side of the tank as a starter hide with lots of plastic plants, sticks etc. as web anchors. If you use the search function you will find lots of examples.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Folks,

I need some help here if possible.

I am amazed by the above tarantula and have been looking into getting a 6-8cm juvenile and unsure what size of enclosure to use.

Someone I know uses 32.50 x D:22 x H:21cm enclosure from the spider shop but isn’t this far too big?

Also I know this is a dry species but is it ok to put in fresh substrate or do I need to wait until it’s bone dry before using? Lastly I am worried about the left over or un eaten food is this easy to spot due to it being a heavy Webber.

Sorry if these questions are daft I have a Nhandu Chromatus juvenile and I find it very easy to find left over food haha

Thanks very much

David
They live in a very xeric climate- think about that.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
That size enclosure would be fine for an adult I think but I’d use something smaller for the current size spider. They’re easy, if the substrate is a little damp it’s fine as long as there is good ventilation but it shouldn’t be a problem. You don’t want it sopping wet though

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
hi folks

thanks for all the replies much appreciated I get the substrate at same time as tarantula so worried about it being wet but guess it’s ok will dry anyway