Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens in Coro, Venezuela

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is what my good friend Eliud finds every day when taking the dogs for a walk.

The picture was taken in the surrowndings of the locality of Caujarao, Coro (Venezuela).

The wasp , after removing the tarantula from her burrow, is doing her bussines with our fatty and probably gravid friend, to take care of her brood.

Thanks a lot To Eliud Petite for your permission to post the picture and the info (Muchas gracias mi pana! )

Attachments

Last edited:

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nature will never cease to amaze me!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
As much as I love C. cyaneopubescens, that is one cewl wasp! Any idea what species?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if isnt mature, isnt gravid.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Cool, any other photo's to share, habitat ect...?
Later, Tom

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well if isnt mature, isnt gravid.
True, but a spider doesn't necessarily have to be fully mature to be gravid. I was only pointing out the fact that the GBB in your picture wasn't full grown, so most likely not gravid.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah was just about to ask. Would like to see what their habitat is like when they aren't being accosted by wasps!

But great pic Fran!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True, but a spider doesn't necessarily have to be fully mature to be gravid. I was only pointing out the fact that the GBB in your picture wasn't full grown, so most likely not gravid.
Well, I have t ask Eliud.

Depending on the size of the wasp and of course, the T...

If shes around 5+ DLS, it could be gravid. (Yes, I have noticed the markings in the abdomen propper of younger T's )

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The wasp , after removing the tarantula from her burrow, is doing her bussines with our fatty and probably gravid friend, to take care of her brood.
Removing it from her burrow? We have Pepsis wasps around here that hunt our local tarantulas - but they don't remove the tarantula from its burrow. If the tarantula is found in or near its burrow, the spider is stung and paralyzed, not killed. The wasp lays an egg on it and seals up the burrow so the young larvae will have live food when it hatches. Tarantulas found away from a burrow are stung and hauled to a burrow that the wasp digs. There are other species of wasps here that hunt other spiders, sometimes accumulating a bunch of small spiders in a burrow as food for the brood.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

If a tarantula is not sexually mature, it cannot produce eggs. And it can't be gravid until it can produce eggs. Note that "fully mature" is not the same thing as "fully grown". A spider can be gravid before being fully grown, but not before being mature.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excuse me for being a bit of a noob, but what is the wasp doing to the tarantula?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A spider can be gravid before being fully grown, but not before being mature.
Exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for the correction, I shouldn't have used the word mature. But let me ask, aren't their degrees of maturity? If it isn't fully mature yet, but somewhat mature, then don't you think it could be gravid?