Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens husbandry question

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
So I received an un-sexed juvenile GBB (7cm). 2 questions: 1)Are juvenile molts difficult to sex?
2)Are juveniles prolific webbers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So I received an un-sexed juvenile GBB (7cm). 2 questions: 1)Are juvenile molts difficult to sex?
2)Are juveniles prolific webbers?
So I've currently got 5 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings that are now 1.25 inches to about 1.5 inches. I've been talking with a small group of breeders and I'm told that you can actually sex these spiders at 1 inch, using a microscope.

I'm getting a digital microscope in the next week or so that plugs into a computer using a USB connection. Fairly cheap to acquire...should do the job.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, that's completely normal. Do not remove the barricade, otherwise you could possibly disturb an ongoing molt. Once the T is ready, it will emerge - either a bit bigger or just hungry. I recommend keeping the water dish filled and check the enclosure from time to time.

EDIT: Some branches or sticks wouldn't hurt either. They will get webbed up in no time! But I'd wait until the T emerges - wouldn't want an accidental impalement...

Last edited:

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Do you think that it is in pre-molt? If so, at 7cm, would it be difficult to sex the molt at this size.
I have seen many videos of how to sex a t molt. I have ordered a digital usb microscope with a camera and if it is molting, I will post the picture for assistance.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Do you think that it is in pre-molt? If so, at 7cm, would it be difficult to sex the molt at this size.
I have seen many videos of how to sex a t molt. I have ordered a digital usb microscope with a camera and if it is molting, I will post the picture for assistance.
If the sling has webbed itself closed, then chances are pretty good that it is in or near premoult. If a spider buries itself or webs itself closed off, tries to isolate itself in any fashion, it is best to leave it alone and just pay a little more attention to the sling to see what is happening.

If you have access to a microscope or a dissecting microscope or an inexpensive digital scope...you can sex these slings at 1" and larger.

Here is one of my GBB slings completely webbed in and moulting.

78CE40EC-2345-4AA4-A271-9BF1E7B5B54C.jpeg

Last edited:

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Nice picture. Perhaps my t as webbed itself up. Impossible to tell as it is in the hide behind a wall of dirt :)

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Nice picture. Perhaps my t as webbed itself up. Impossible to tell as it is in the hide behind a wall of dirt :)
There's a good chance that it's in premolt, especially since this species molts quite frequently. You did good in providing a hide, as it was immediately used! With a bit of luck, it will return in a few days. My B. Smithi sling stayed closed off for 2 molts and almost 6 months, so I know the urge to check on your T ;). But always remember: "Your T knows what's best for itself" and you will be rewarded.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've merged the two threads about this GBB. Carry on.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I’ve been raising 5 GBB slings. 4 of the five slings are happy healthy and growing at an impressive rate.

One of my slings, GBB #3, has been a bit of a problem. Compared to the other slings, #3 has been a very finicky eater...usually eating only once a month, while the others are eating twice a week. In fact, instead of actively feeding, it usually runs away from prey items. The sling has continually webbed itself into a cocoon of silk for days and weeks at a time.

As a result, this little sling is still fairly tiny, compare to the other 4 slings. I was getting really concerned about the survivability of this tiny little fellow. So I did some experimenting. I threw away all the old original contents of its enclosure, and I completely cleaned the inside of the enclosure with hot soapy water.

I put in new corkbark as a hide and new substrate. Here’s the experiment...this substrate was moist, not dry. It was moist enough that condensation collected on the sides of the enclosure. If you looks close you can actually see a couple droplets of condensation in the image on the webbing I front of the sling. I left the sling to hotbox in this environment for a week then offered food...it eagerly attacked the prey item. So far this little trooper has eaten twice in 2 weeks...so?

4 slings doing great on dry substrate...1 slings has been stressed for almost the entire time that I've had it. I’m not sure what to think at this point, but those are my observations.

Here’s an image of the sling eating a roach just this morning:

A06970AC-BE9A-4CC6-B33B-09445CBFA09F.jpeg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
4 of the five slings are happy healthy and growing at an impressive rate.
As a species, as I'm sure you know, they grow pretty fast. I'll be curious to see if these 4 turn into both males and females. Keep me posted.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
As a species, as I'm sure you know, they grow pretty fast. I'll be curious to see if these 4 turn into both males and females. Keep me posted.
They are looking like they will be moulting here soon, so I'm going to order a digital microscope. I'm told that they are now big enough to sex at this size using a dissecting scope or a high def digital scope.

Here’s the exuviae from the one that moulted earlier this week. I was able to pick it out of the webbing and move it till I’m ready to examine it further.

FB88292D-B5BA-49E1-8098-E43D9725CB6F.jpeg

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
As others have recommended, change the substrate and wash out the enclosure with only mild detergent, no harsh chemicals.

Feeding frequency will depend on how much you feed, if the T is in pre-molt, etc. While they are growing, I try to feed my T’s as often as they will eat. A GBB will definitely eat more than an Aphonopelma.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Well, I saw it sitting halfway out of it's hide this morning, and then in the afternoon, it sealed itself off again

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Ok, it's peeking out again now going in and out and peeking. I will wait till it's completely out before checking in the hide if it indeed molted. If it did not I will offer a cricket. If it did, my digital microscope arrived today and I will attempt to get a close up of the molt and post it for you experts to help sex it. :)

Edit: Ok, I couldn't help it. I experimented by throwing a cricket in. It went into the hide. Then I panicked. Maybe it is molting, so I took the hide off and found the t inside on the ceiling of the hide and had grabbed the cricket. It had formed a web dirt ball blocking the entrance. It is back in its hide eating. So don't know what the deal with the sealing off is.

What are the behaviour differences in GBB slings versus adults?

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Ok, it's peeking out again now going in and out and peeking. I will wait till it's completely out before checking in the hide if it indeed molted. If it did not I will offer a cricket. If it did, my digital microscope arrived today and I will attempt to get a close up of the molt and post it for you experts to help sex it. :)

Edit: Ok, I couldn't help it. I experimented by throwing a cricket in. It went into the hide. Then I panicked. Maybe it is molting, so I took the hide off and found the t inside on the ceiling of the hide and had grabbed the cricket. It had formed a web dirt ball blocking the entrance. It is back in its hide eating. So don't know what the deal with the sealing off is.

What are the behaviour differences in GBB slings versus adults?
In the future, I would wait until the T is out of the hide before attempting to feed (of course some species stay in their burrows until their is prey to ambush, but not GBBs) so that you won’t have to worry! T’s will often be in premolt for a while before actually molting (months in some cases, depending on species and size) and I’ve watching several of my T’s working on preparing their place to molt days beforehand so your T may have been working on making sure the hide was a suitable location, preparing a place, etc.

This is why I actually take better care of my T’s for having more of them — I cannot constantly be checking and worrying over all of them as would be my tendency and indeed was with my first! :angelic:

Last edited: