Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens husbandry question

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Ok, so the t. started to web up enclosure. So I threw a cricket in; a Mexican standoff ensued. The cricket froze in front of the t and the t. stretched it's legs out. This lasted quite a while; so as I am impatient and new to the world of ts as you have gathered by now I used a pipette to nudge the cricket, but that freaked out the t, and it turned to hide. I nudged the cricket one more time in the direction of the t and pow! It pounced and grabbed it. So it's not in pre-molt after-all I guess.

So I don't know what the sealing off business was all about.

Weird. It is webbing the top corner of it's enclosure while holding the cricket at the same time.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Ok, so the t. started to web up enclosure. So I threw a cricket in; a Mexican standoff ensued. The cricket froze in front of the t and the t. stretched it's legs out. This lasted quite a while; so as I am impatient and new to the world of ts as you have gathered by now I used a pipette to nudge the cricket, but that freaked out the t, and it turned to hide. I nudged the cricket one more time in the direction of the t and pow! It pounced and grabbed it. So it's not in pre-molt after-all I guess.

So I don't know what the sealing off business was all about.
Spiders do so many weird things...for whatever reason, no one knows for sure why.

The keeping of spiders is an exasperating practice in patience. I struggle at times, so now I have lots of spiders to spread out my attentions, and it really helps with working on developing patience...it’s a skill, don’t let anyone tell you other wise.

It’s wonderful that the spider is webbing, typically my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens will web a lot it’s fun to watch. They tend not to web in premoult, unless they are webbing themselves into a silk cocoon...which is a dead give away that they are getting ready to moult somewhere in the following 24 to 72 hours.

If the spider is busily working on a project, great time to break out a camera or an iPhone and start shooting.

When they are sitting and looking inactive and just “being there”...great time to offer food.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
On a side note, my crickets keep dying. Anyone know of a good clean/hassle free feeder item for a juvenile/sling GBB instead of crickets?

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Out of curiosity: Why not? Blatta lateralis are my preferred feeder too, at least for terrestrial tarantulas. They don't burrow and always go where I want them to.
Roaches are awesome. They can’t jump like crickets, which makes them so much easier to feed to tarantulas.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
I have good luck with dubias
I have a GBB sling that does not care for dubias-demolishes crushed crickets and waxworms, but turns its spider nose up at dubias. My boehmi and stirmi eat them fine. I try to feed a variety-wax worms, crickets, dubias, once every couple months a thawed smaller pinkie for the boehmi and stirmi. The stirmi relishes nightcrawlers!

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I have a GBB sling that does not care for dubias-demolishes crushed crickets and waxworms, but turns its spider nose up at dubias. My boehmi and stirmi eat them fine. I try to feed a variety-wax worms, crickets, dubias, once every couple months a thawed smaller pinkie for the boehmi and stirmi. The stirmi relishes nightcrawlers!
Weird, I wouldn't think they would turn down prey/have preferences like that

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Weird, I wouldn't think they would turn down prey/have preferences like that
Yes, I do think they have some individual "personalities. My boehmi is very chill and does not kick hairs it is voracious and has molted twice the last 3 months! The GBB is in pre-molt now so I will try the dubias again after its next molt..

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I’m freaked out by roaches for a few reasons. A) possible reproduction and escape causing an infestation that you cannot get rid of. (They will survive nuclear fallout). B) The smell. C) They’re properly icky.

Edit: I decided to order some more brown silent crickets with one of those exo-terra cricket keepers to see if I can keep them alive in there.

Last edited: