Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens husbandry question

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
So, I'm getting my 2nd t. I guess I have a new addiction to add on top of ants and reptiles. I will be getting a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens juvenile (was told about 3 inches) this Friday. I have an existing empty acrylic 30L x 20W x 15H (cm) which I will be using.

1) Do I need to replace the coco fiber substrate and disinfect the enclosure before hand? It had an invert in it before that died in it.

2) I was told by seller to feed once every 10 days. Is this correct? From my research and limited knowledge :) I thought that they ate more often than this.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If an invert had died on the substrate, I would use a new batch of substrate just to be safe. Also feeding schedules are more of a preference based on the abdomen size, so if the tarantula is looking fat then you should just wait for it to lose some weight. If the tarantula is looking more on the skinny side, then it's better to feed it up. Feeding schedules are not really important as long as the T. is healthy and of good abdomen size. Normally a juvenile should be fed once every two weeks according to the hobby standards. But T's can maintain weight very well for a long while, so I personally don't think feeding schedules are really prevalent.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I'm asking about the feeding because I have an aphonopelma anax and from what people have told me they have slow metabolisms as such if require food less often otherwise they will fast for long periods.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm asking about the feeding because I have an aphonopelma anax and from what people have told me they have slow metabolisms as such if require food less often otherwise they will fast for long periods.
Same applies to most ts...although with the Aphonopelma, its a bigger deal due to a much lower metabolism. So this t, at this size, can and should be fed more regularly than your anax.

I agree schedules arent important....but as the t plumps, you can still slow feeding accordingly.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I requested a confirmed female. We'll see what happens. I will post a picture when I receive it.

Is there a difference if it's male or female regarding this issue?
Mature males will not eat that much and will not live a long time.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Mature males will not eat that much and will not live a long time.
Didn't know that males didn't eat as much. Is that because they don't need the added nutrients to sustain themselves while "gravid?" Is that the right term used for spiders?

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didn't know that males didn't eat as much. Is that because they don't need the added nutrients to sustain themselves while "gravid?" Is that the right term used for spiders?
Males do not become gravid. They produce sperm webs, load-up emboli and go looking for love.

cold blood

Staff member
Its MATURE males that have low food drive....prior to maturity a male and female will be the same in almost every way.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Males do not become gravid. They produce sperm webs, load-up emboli and go looking for love.
I meant that they don't need the nutrients because they don't become gravid like females who do need the nutrients. Should have added that part,

Is that why mature males don't eat as much?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1) Do I need to replace the coco fiber substrate and disinfect the enclosure before hand? It had an invert in it before that died in it.
Ditch the sub, give the enclosure a quick wash with a mild detergent, and a good rinse out

2) I was told by seller to feed once every 10 days. Is this correct? From my research and limited knowledge :) I thought that they ate more often than this.
Every 10 days is fine, that's how often I fed my female at that size (after she hit 4" I fed her once a fortnight).

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So, I'm getting my 2nd t. I guess I have a new addiction to add on top of ants and reptiles. I will be getting a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens juvenile (was told about 3 inches) this Friday. I have an existing empty acrylic 30L x 20W x 15H (cm) which I will be using.

Anytime that I rehouse an animal that is going into a previously used enclosure, I will thoroughly clean the new enclosure and start with fresh substrate...especially if the previous occupant died...

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Ditch the sub, give the enclosure a quick wash with a mild detergent, and a good rinse out
Every 10 days is fine, that's how often I fed my female at that size (after she hit 4" I fed her once a fortnight).
Anytime that I rehouse an animal that is going into a previously used enclosure, I will thoroughly clean the new enclosure and start with fresh substrate...especially if the previous occupant died...
I plan on using Hydrex Pink Spray for Pre-op the day before. It dries super-fast and kills everything.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Errr. That's just so ridiculously overkill that it's not even funny, there's no need to use medical grade disinfectant to clean an enclosure
That's what I have always used on my reptile enclosures. This is my first forray into t's. I have the stuff anyway

Last edited: