CHROMATOPELMA CYANEOPUBESCENS(GBB) enclosure set up

Arachnopeon
Recently started setting up a new enclosure for my GBB. Going for more of a natural theme with maybe some dry grasses. Also , anybody have any experiences using live succulents or even some cacti? Pictures much appreciated

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Recently started setting up a new enclosure for my GBB. Going for more of a natural theme with maybe some dry grasses. Also , anybody have any experiences using live succulents or even some cacti? Pictures much appreciated
Have no experience of using live plants but I would steer clear of cacti incase the spines injure your T.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Living plants is not worth the amount of work it takes IMO. GBBs also likes bone dry enclosures, so it´s not going to be easy to maintain. They will also cover the whole thing with webbing, so just providing dry substrate, a water dish and some anchor points in terms of cork bark and fake plants should be more than enough. If you are dead set on having cacti in there however, make sure it´s one without spines!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You can have a naturalistic setup with dead plant matter. Dried grasses, branches, bark. Just stay away from cedar and pine, and be sure to bake and heavily wash anything you get from outside. You want to kill any critters living on it and then wash off possible pesticides.

Since GBB's like it so dry, the whole barren landscape theme actually makes sense...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
False plants are great for dry enclosures. Check out exo terra, lucky reptil, pro rep, zoo med etc... some of these do nice false decor ;)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Since Ts don't like light and cacti do its kind of tough to keep both in the same captive environment. I myself have tried with succulents and lower light plants with no success.

I'd love to hear some tips and tricks from someone who was successful.

Arachnopeon
You can have a naturalistic setup with dead plant matter. Dried grasses, branches, bark. Just stay away from cedar and pine, and be sure to bake and heavily wash anything you get from outside. You want to kill any critters living on it and then wash off possible pesticides.

Since GBB's like it so dry, the whole barren landscape theme actually makes sense...

Ok thanks , what temperature and how long do you usually bake it for?

Arachnopeon
Went out today and got some artificial grasses, succulents . Enclosure should arrive in the mail tomorrow, I'll post pics then

Arachnopeon
If you fast forward to the 20 minute mark you'll see the GBB in their natural habitat.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ok thanks , what temperature and how long do you usually bake it for?
Soak it in some water, put it in one of those disposable aluminum oven pans (they're like $2), cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 425F for about 25 minutes. You want to cover it to avoid any fires. If there is a fire, leave the oven closed! Be sure that you don't leave the kitchen while it's baking so you can keep an eye on it. Be safe :)