Choices, choices...

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to be purchasing another tarantula fairly soon, and I am torn between two spiders.. Both of them are 5.5" and female. The choices are Haplopelma Lividium and Lasiodora Parahybana. Cobalt blues love to dig and almost never be seen, but they're absolutely stunning to look at. Brazillian Salmon Pink Birdeaters aren't as prone to burrow, and not as deep as, Cobalt Blues, and they attain immense sizes. What do you all think I should go for?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm...that is a tough choice. I probably would be so indecisive that I would have to get both! ;)
If you got to see the "Haplopelma lividum" thread from a while back there are some really cool ideas posted by Martin Huber for cobalt housing that allow for some visibility. Worth checking out for sure. Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.
Here's the thread. http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=1052&referrerid=20

Later.
Atrax

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would personally choose the cobalt because i already have a Salmon Pink but if didnt have either i think I would also go for the Cobalt. Beautiful.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Hmmm...that is a tough choice. I probably would be so indecisive that I would have to get both! ;)
If you got to see the "Haplopelma lividum" thread from a while back there are some really cool ideas posted by Martin Huber for cobalt housing that allow for some visibility. Worth checking out for sure. Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.
Here's the thread. http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=1052&referrerid=20

Later.
Atrax
I'm with Atrax... get them both.

As for the Martin Huber post... has anyone had any luck finding containers like that in the states?

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Later.
Atrax
LOL, I started that thread. I've seen the pics there. :)

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shoot, if I could get both, I would! But my mom is like this "bug" will be the last one. Good thing I'll be in college next year, I'll get all the good stuff then... lol. But for now, I can unfortunately on pick one. I'm leading toward the parhybana. I used to want a cobalt blue so bad, but I've found a good deal on the parhybanas. Plus cobalts burrow A LOT. And they aren't seen a whole lot. I'm still undecided though.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd actually go for the L. parahybana. I have two cobalts that I hardly ever see; on the other hand, my four birdeaters are feisty and hardy and lots of fun, even though they're only about 1/4 inch long. I'm going to an exotics expo next weekend and I might pick up a larger sub-adult L. parahybana if any of the good t dealers are there.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I would personally choose the cobalt because i already have a Salmon Pink but if didnt have either i think I would also go for the Cobalt. Beautiful.
What is the disposition of your parahybana? I figure they're rather agressive because they attain large sizes. If yours is big, how often do you see it and feed it?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
LOL, I started that thread. I've seen the pics there. :)
Argh! Pardon me for a moment....*beats head against wall until bloody*

I have a talent for overlooking the obvious sometimes. Especially when looking so closely. LOL!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
go for the L parahybana!!!
Since mine just molted, he must be at LEAST 7" now...
He NEVER burrows (see my posts in 'THe bold L parahybana thread, and It's a boy thread.
He's big, beautiful, handleable, and never hides.
OTOH, my female H lividum is so reclusive, I haven't seen her, even at midnight, in about 3 months.
They ARE pretty, but if you never see them, what's the point?!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
They ARE pretty, but if you never see them, what's the point?!
I hear you loud and clear on that one. My P. Murinus is very reclusive, but I see her every other night, so it's all good. I'd be irked to hell if I had to wait months. Thanks for the advice!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Argh! Pardon me for a moment....*beats head against wall until bloody*

I have a talent for overlooking the obvious sometimes. Especially when looking so closely. LOL!
Don't sweat it man, it's cool. I do the same from time to time. I know this is probably random, but the other day I walked out of the Giant Supermarket the other day with one of those "free" auto magazines. You know, the ones where people have their car for sale in there. And they're usually so small (the magazine) that they're free. And so I picked up a thicker one and didn't see the price. So I walked out with it and last night I was looking at it, and I saw a $1.50 label on it. I felt soo stupid... :? :D

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right now I'm definitely leaning towards L. Parahybana. Anyone know any reason why the cobalt would be better?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
... the other day I walked out of the Giant Supermarket the other day with one of those "free" auto magazines. You know, the ones where people have their car for sale in there. And they're usually so small (the magazine) that they're free. And so I picked up a thicker one and didn't see the price. So I walked out with it and last night I was looking at it, and I saw a $1.50 label on it. I felt soo stupid... :? :D
You have the right to remain silent...

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
You have the right to remain silent...

Botar
I had a feeling that after I posted that you would respond Botar. It's not like I meant to steal it. I paid for all of the other stuff that I had. Just saying that the one and only time I stole something, I didn't mean too... very ironic.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I'm sure you are aware, I was just pulling your leg. I just couldn't resist!

Besides, it isn't theft if there was no intent to deprive on your part. I'd say you're in the clear.

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
As I'm sure you are aware, I was just pulling your leg. I just couldn't resist!

Besides, it isn't theft if there was no intent to deprive on your part. I'd say you're in the clear.

Botar
Yeah, I figured you were screwing around. I just couldn't resist to laugh when I saw you had posted right after my post about the unintended theft. I figured I was in the clear. Even if someone had stopped me, I would have gladly paid the $1.50 lol

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi and I would say go with the L.Parahybana. I have both but the Salmon is really an aggressive eater and quite a task to switch out of her cage. They grow really fast and have big joints on their legs and are overall a pretty spider especially after a molt. Here is a pic of mine I call Rajah. She is at 7" now.

Attachments