Chink in the Armor

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well my B. Vagans molted and started snacking again yesterday, but one thing i noticed, there is a small gash in the armor on the carapace, to the left of the Central Apodeme, I know this happened during molt, because the chunk is still on the exoskeleton.
She is not leaking plasma,

Is there any thing i should do in the mean time? Will that be a problem in a future molt? is it possible it will be infected down the road?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is my understanding that if it is not leaking, you shouldn't be concerned about it. Did a part of the new carapace stick to the old? If so, that may be the sight of an old wound... kind of a scar that may be a problem from molt to molt. It could possibly be a sight of a "leaking" problem later on, but I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent that. Any actions you take may have to be reactionary.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's not leaking haemolymph, it probably is not going to be a source of infection unless its already infected - the wound is sealed. It may or may not cause moulting probems, but I'm going to go with 'not' because the carapace is more or less a plate. Damaged or not, it should still pop off correctly as long as the new carapace forms correctly without the sort of complications that can occur with damaged limbs.

There's really nothing for you to do unless it should start leaking haemolymph at some point and then this becomes a case for the ever fun and experimental cyanocrylate glue seal.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Did a part of the new carapace stick to the old? If so, that may be the sight of an old wound...

Botar
It did stick, ive never seen anything quite like it, looking at the carapace there is the chunk of the new one still attached. Im not sure of my B. Vagans molt history, this was her first molt under my care. I did not notice anything to be concerned about before. she molted in a really tight place so it may have somthing to do with it.

Anyways Thanks for the info, i will let you know how it goes in a year or two when the big girl molts again :)