chinese mantis help

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My mantis is on the 4th molt his legs were caught in his 3rd molt and became deformed they are now caught again.. I provided a space to hang from to climb all the way out as well as misting him a bit any advice?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I assume you've cut away all the remaining molt? Had one last year that never molted correctly & couldn't catch its' prey. Hand feeding will be necessary if that's the case. Unfortunately, if all the walking legs are mangled, they'll attempt to use the forelegs for this purpose.

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are they all deformed?
no just his rear legs

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

I assume you've cut away all the remaining molt? Had one last year that never molted correctly & couldn't catch its' prey. Hand feeding will be necessary if that's the case. Unfortunately, if all the walking legs are mangled, they'll attempt to use the forelegs for this purpose.
I just misted it to high heaven turned up humidity he slid out but def deformed

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no just his rear legs

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

This has happened to me before. The deformed leg(s) will keep on coming out that way with each molt, at least in my experience.

I know that people aren't going to like what I'm going to suggest. I don't know how badly the legs are deformed. But if it can't even use the deformed legs to move around, then you can remove those specific legs (provided that it's only 2 of them like you said). If this is it's 4th molt, then it's still very young and will grow new (but smaller) legs within the next molt. After one or two more molts, the legs will be normal-sized. T's will sometimes remove one of their own legs if it's deformed or broken.

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This has happened to me before. The deformed leg(s) will keep on coming out that way with each molt, at least in my experience.

I know that people aren't going to like what I'm going to suggest. I don't know how badly the legs are deformed. But if it can't even use the deformed legs to move around, then you can remove those specific legs (provided that it's only 2 of them like you said). If this is it's 4th molt, then it's still very young and will grow new (but smaller) legs within the next molt. After one or two more molts, the legs will be normal-sized. T's will sometimes remove one of their own legs if it's deformed or broken.
He is using the deformed legs best he can if come out deformed again I will remove half the leg in an attempt to have more formed legs on the next molt