Chilobrachys fimbriatus- Drop and run?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if the Chilobrachys fimbriatus is a tarantula I should worry about. I received a sling as a freebie without notice and, while I am quite pleased by its beauty, I have no idea how to take care of it. I am a complete n00b when it comes to arachnids; I haven't even kept my first sling for a week. I put the Chilobrachys fimbriatus in a circular sugar jar half-filled with Eco-Earth for the time being. Now, a ton of problems arise. First, I can't see it in the media. Second, it's extremely fast and I dropped the cap inside. Now, I have a few questions-
How do I take care of a tarantula sling like this? Please be specific.
Where should I keep a tarantula sling like this?
Is this an OW?
Should I be frightened?
I'm keeping it, you can sure as #$%@ bet on that, but how much are they worth?
How do I take the cap out? (I'm a complete wuss, I know)
How much ventilation?
Is there anything else I should know?
Why can't I see my sling? He/she was on the lid before (after I sealed it, of course).

Death999

Arachnopeon
not that I own one

But I do read up a lot on all different T's

They are OW and very fast

I believe they are semi arboreal

post pics of what your keeping it in, I'm pretty sure they burrow so that may be why you don't see it

keep the humity up

PS: I'm sort of a noob too but I'm sure someone here is going to tell you to use the serach funtion

PPS: your lucky to have gotten one for free they are pretty pricey

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But I do read up a lot on all different T's

They are OW and very fast

I believe they are semi arboreal

post pics of what your keeping it in, I'm pretty sure they burrow so that may be why you don't see it

keep the humity up

PS: I'm sort of a noob too but I'm sure someone here is going to tell you to use the search funtion

PPS: your lucky to have gotten one for free they are pretty pricey

They are Obligate burrowers not semi-arboreal. Fill up the jar so 3/4 of it is filled. Other than that, everything he said.

Congrats on your first old world. Do not handle this one, and that is one great freebie.

EDIT: Since I am suuuuuuch a nice person. :rolleyes: I searched for you. I do not want a kid to get bit by an OW.

Caresheet #1

Caresheet #2

Or if you do not feel you are ready for an old world. Send him to me, I would be glad to take it off your hands. ;)

Last edited:

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
They are Obligate burrowers not semi-arboreal. Fill up the jar so 3/4 of it is filled. Other than that, everything he said.

Congrats on your first old world. Do not handle this one, and that is one great freebie.
I wasn't planning on handling it. The container's 3/4th filled, so that's good. I'll wait until I can see it. Maybe I should throw a cricket in there? And I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of having an OW (or is that adrenaline?)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wasn't planning on handling it. The container's 3/4th filled, so that's good. I'll wait until I can see it. Maybe I should throw a cricket in there? And I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of having an OW (or is that adrenaline?)
Look at my edited above posts for caresheets. Also, I would wait a week for your new T's to get acclimated to their new surroundings before you feed them. You do not have to, it is just a suggestion.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go check out your local petsmart or other nearby pet stores. Do any sell long tongs? Like giant tweezers? I have some 12" ones & we are best friends :D

That way you can just crack the lid while righting the bottle cap. Plus they make it so much easier to grab small molts & leftover foods.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Look at my edited above posts for caresheets. Also, I would wait a week for your new T's to get acclimated to their new surroundings before you feed them. You do not have to, it is just a suggestion.
I will. Believe me, I'm not more excited to feed my T than the next guy. Anyways, I threw in some crickets for my Versicolors. Not planning to see them eaten, but I'm leaving to Palm Springs. Anyways, I still don't know how much Chilobrachys fimbriatus is worth. All I know is that I'm really starting to like having it. (doesn't mean I'm less scared)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have four of those little buggers. They are fast as slings. I rehoused all of mine last night. They love to crawl all over my arm if they get a chance.:eek: Dont let it run away!!

Congrats on the first OW sp. I hope you enjoy them. Chilobrachys are known for having a real bad disposition. My 2" C. huahini is more wild than any haplo ive come across. They are the fastest Burrowers IMO. Dont have to worry to much until they get 1.5" +

They are 10-35$ for a sling. Prices here vs SwiftsInverts.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Once they're settled in and have a web, there's not much to worry about. I have three Chilobrachys species right now, one a 1" C. fimbriatus, a 3" C. sp "Malaysia," and, my favorite, a 7" C. sp. "gaungxiensis." The two small ones will run and hide in their burrows before anything else. The big one will stand and hold its ground, but isn't much for darting. Just don't put your hands in there and you should be fine.

That is a really nice freebie. C. fimbriatus isn't the most commonly available Chilobrachys species.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I have a little sling that I got as a freebie about 3 weeks ago. It's maybe half an inch. I have never actually seen it. :p My husband rehoused it when it arrived because I was at work. I have seen it's little abdomen through the little "viewing window" in it's burrow, but that's it.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I have a little sling that I got as a freebie about 3 weeks ago. It's maybe half an inch. I have never actually seen it. :p My husband rehoused it when it arrived because I was at work. I have seen it's little abdomen through the little "viewing window" in it's burrow, but that's it.
Hopefully I will be able to see it someday.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I measured and, surprisingly, the C. Fimbriatus is over 1.50". It ate a cricket...anyways, would it be ok if the cap was a "screen"?