Chilobrachys electric blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I have relatives in the jewelry business, when I was very young they taught me "never buy a diamond for investment purposes", that article is not news at all. Again, everything goes back to what I said, something is worth only what one is willing to pay for it. Whether it's a T, a diamond, an antique or a comic book.
Yeah, but you said "it's not diamonds or gold" - when diamonds are exactly the same as these tarantulas. As person x has a monopoly on these T's - so can charge whatever they like.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, but you said "it's not diamonds or gold" - when diamonds are exactly the same as these tarantulas. As person x has a monopoly on these T's - so can charge whatever they like.
I see what you mean, but it's not exactly the same. It's different on so many levels.

All things being equal:
If I drop a 5 carat diamond on the street, people will dive for it
If I drop a 5" T on the street, people will drive over it.

If you want to PM me go ahead. I don't like to hijack a thread about gemstones.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Christ I blame nerds for that, they created and mastermind that 'Comic Mafia' :pompous:
Ah, but comic books one tells stories through pictures, it's unique in that aspect.

The very early comic books only increase in value.

Nerds, just another name for a person that has a strong interest in "something", be it comics, Ts, sports, etc.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah, but comic books one tells stories through pictures, it's unique in that aspect.

The very early comic books only increase in value.

Nerds, just another name for a person that has a strong interest in "something", be it comics, Ts, sports, etc.
Ah ah ah I know, and you're right (I'm a comic collector myself, mostly Italians) but couldn't resist to joke about the average comic nerd that spend his day annoying the shopkeeper talking :)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I see what you mean, but it's not exactly the same. It's different on so many levels.

All things being equal:
If I drop a 5 carat diamond on the street, people will dive for it
If I drop a 5" T on the street, people will drive over it.

If you want to PM me go ahead. I don't like to hijack a thread about gemstones.
Ahh.....the irony or should we call it the contradiction?

One brings up gem stones, but then wants to close the comparative statement.

Agreed beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I would take many tarantulas over gold or diamonds (hence why most individuals that are really in the hobby truly love the hobby).

The facts with anything is supply and demand as was discussed as well as origination price. If original price is high then one must consider what a fair price is. As with any new tarantula (and often product in general) individuals can make a decision to wait until price goes down. Sometimes that back fires and the product or tarantula goes out of circulation and price goes up or you can't find them. Many of the rare seekers are willing to pay the high price on a tarantula because they want it and want it now. Weather that be because they wish to breed it and recoup costs or just to have it then that is up to the individual. This fact alone is also a "eye of the beholder" view point and can share many different opinion as verbalized in this thread. There are many who feel Tarantulas should be treated as gold and diamonds and valued as such. Others feel they should be offered to all and given away or sold for cheap. Again an opinion which puts into question the devaluation or valuation of tarantulas in general.

My thoughts are to each there own, but I am and always will be the type that will pay a high price for beauty if I want it now and if I miss the opportunity can only hope it comes around again. In addition, my advice is always to go to the source and as was stated to "PM" or ask that source about the specific tarantula in question. Often times through report and or simple communication, knowledge, background, and even monetary value can be discussed.

I agreed with the care of many of the comments made on the specimen. Moist, deep substrate, good ventilation, and with any tarantula consistent monitoring to make sure food is being eaten and taken out when it is not.

Best of luck to all Electric lovers as it is truly a beautiful specimen in my honest yet humble opinion

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
It all boils down to making a buck or making an undeserved buck here. I am sure these will fade in price quick and those asking a ridiculous price for a Chilobrachys will cost likely not get a return flow of cash expected. Its just that simple. There are those that will get all butt hurt on prices after they realize what happens to prices when bred. In my experience Chilobrachys are easy to breed and spread some slings. I have a Vietnam blue on a sac and the slings will most likely be traded off very few sold.
makes me think of every one that was mad when C. lividum was bought and turned out to be a pet hole that they never saw.....same with ALL Chilobrachys. To be somewhat on topic they are rather easy to care for

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I've actually inquired about two of these and also might get two Ornithoctonus aureotibialis.

The only way prices will come down is if more people start buying and breeding (in between that is the research of course).

The whole point of this hobby is to buy,breed,sell (and of course collect for the non breeders).

But you only get out of this hobby (as you do anything in life) whatever you put into it.

Everyone can "easily" get the money back they put into it if they are truly a lover of the hobby because every T in the hobby is on someone's wish list.

Then you add to it all the new folks who are in the hobby now and will be in it soon

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
It all boils down to making a buck or making an undeserved buck here. I am sure these will fade in price quick and those asking a ridiculous price for a Chilobrachys will cost likely not get a return flow of cash expected. Its just that simple. There are those that will get all butt hurt on prices after they realize what happens to prices when bred. In my experience Chilobrachys are easy to breed and spread some slings. I have a Vietnam blue on a sac and the slings will most likely be traded off very few sold.
makes me think of every one that was mad when C. lividum was bought and turned out to be a pet hole that they never saw.....same with ALL Chilobrachys. To be somewhat on topic they are rather easy to care for
Again, I feel it all "boils down" to several factors as stated. Supply and demand. Those that want the species now vs waiting, those that value the species, those that want ro try and makr a return, those that want it to just view (even if it is at feeding time when most tarantulas often come out...man traps and others are cool). To reiterate beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and to each their own opinion.

I have to remind some of my local friends (and others) with the mentality that everyone wants to wait until h. lividum, p met, h. pulchripes, etc..drops in price to dollars or "freebies" that some value all species and don't want to see the inevitable devalue happen to soon. They state comments like we'll you get wholesale and always buy low. On the contrary, I look for the rare or first of its kind based apon how I feel about a specimen. For example, bought first M. balfouri that came in 350.00+, bought first E. olivacia to come in 350.00 +, first Xeneth. sp. blue 450.00 +, the list goes on and on. It is great to get a return if you can breed, but many of the rare specimens it never happens or does not by the time individuals devaluize them as what happen's with anything. Much of my "profit", if any lol, goes to buy immediate new high end species because that is what I like.

I enjoy all tarantulas in general as well as they all have their own unique qualities. Tree webbers, ground dwellers, kickers, swimmers,dashers,crawlers, brawlers....their beauty is outstanding.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Does anyone have one of these guys or know of their behavior? There's a seller on AB that's listing them for $250 for a sling which I don't think is too insane for a species that was just discovered last year. I think I'll wait though... Haha
This species has been known for years, it was not just discovered. Only brought in the hobby and given a hobby name to help sell it better. Hence the high prices. ;) http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0829

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
and for such a high priced spider it is kinda rather a meh looking spider....per Ricks unflashed picture.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This species has been known for years, it was not just discovered. Only brought in the hobby and given a hobby name to help sell it better. Hence the high prices. ;) http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0829
Just because a species is on Rick West site does not mean it is "known" by all and avaliable. Anyone can go through Ricks site and find a handful of spiders know one as seen available in the hobby. You can say that with several specimens on Rick West link. There are many spiders pictured that are not "available" in the hobby. This does not devalue them of make them any less rare because a single or few individuals found 1 or 2 specimens and snapped a picture. Also, one must name the spider according to the information given and then choose if one wishes to give it a common name accordingly. Furthermore there are species given names on Rick's site that ate not accurate or turn out to be something else. This has happened with Hapalopus sp. Columbia labeled as Hap. Formosa. Another recent example is one of my favorites...the Fracta. http://birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0145

Although labeled as this on Rick site I have personally spoke with him about the specimen and feel it is another species.........(add)

At some point anyone can argue every spider and say it should have been named this, it's all for marketing purposes, and everything is a scandal.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However in Europe I have to say that genus Chilobrachys is by far one of the cheapest, slings talking. Aside for this one, not always available like the others, you can have for $25 max $30 an helluva of slings, from C.fimbriatus, C.huahini to the not so common ones with their Kaeng & Khiri Khan sort of Gengys names lol

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Not sure what you disagree with Joe? The spiders in the hobby are from Khao Sok National Park. Been found and photographed for years, at least 2012-13. The polish who collected them that dubbed them as 'electric blue' told people who asked, the location is secret. Just a little digging and you can find the location.

Now on to the name making for an easier sell:
If some one is cruising a pricelist and isn't familiar with Chilobrachys, sees Chilobrachys sp. 'Khao Sok' do you think that is going to interest them to research the species and find photos than if they read Chilobrachys sp. 'electric blue'?

Jose, not sure what you're getting at?? I was merely stating these were not just discovered last year as posted. Value is what someone will pay. To me, they are not worth that price especially when the first few batches of slings all were CH not CB. Oh and the size of Chilobrachys eggsacs. ;)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
its all a marketing ploy Chadly....as you said in not the same words....easier to sell {for an inflated price] and adjective filled name instead of a location name...what of the 7 deadly sins is this I might add.....;]

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
"
Not sure what you disagree with Joe? The spiders in the hobby are from Khao Sok National Park. Been found and photographed for years, at least 2012-13. The polish who collected them that dubbed them as 'electric blue' told people who asked, the location is secret. Just a little digging and you can find the location.

Now on to the name making for an easier sell:
If some one is cruising a pricelist and isn't familiar with Chilobrachys, sees Chilobrachys sp. 'Khao Sok' do you think that is going to interest them to research the species and find photos than if they read Chilobrachys sp. 'electric blue'?

Jose, not sure what you're getting at?? I was merely stating these were not just discovered last year as posted. Value is what someone will pay. To me, they are not worth that price especially when the first few batches of slings all were CH not CB. Oh and the size of Chilobrachys eggsacs. ;)

Real simple Chad, "Only brought in the hobby and given a hobby name to help sell it better". That is an opinion that it was given a hobby name to help sell better. One could argue it could sell the same given a sp. name or anything else with an incredible photo shot (some times species speak for themselves to the individual). In fact, one could further argue that there are some individuals who don't like any hobby name or common name and are turned off by this. I had costumers that hated the term pumpkin patch (paid a lot for the first of these as well) and would not touch them LOL ;) For many a common name is fun and entertaining and may have nothing to do with marketing purposes. I love the term "munchkin patch" (paid many $$ for the first of these also), but never would say it was for marketing purposes or to sell better....just a fun name. Others despise the name and that is o.k. they are entitled to their opinion.

We can agree to disagree on this, but I still wanted to clarify why I disagree Chad. You also state, "The polish who collected them that dubbed them as 'electric blue' ..." FYI as well it was not only those quoted who collected them and they were not the first to market/sell them in the hobby. If it interest you feel free to give me a call and I can let you know the real background as you have my number. If not then no worries, you /apple /others/ have the right to your opinion or pass on the specie, I will enjoy their beauty, and again we can professionally agree to disagree.

On apples comment, I disagree the spider is dull pictured, a pet hole, and I like the specie and find it very attractive....hence my beauty is in the eye of the beholder speech. Also, I believe he meant *one of the 7 deadly sins and again....an opinion many don't agree with yet it further backs up why one might be turned of by a common name.

The reason I agree with the Berrios post is one can argue over and over that a species is over priced, just given a name for marketing, not worth the value, been around for years with one picture, etc... The fact comes down to what someone is willing to pay, if they like the species, and if the agree with a high valued hobby or not. To each their own and again opinions including mine are just that.....I for one spend the big $ for the pretty creatures and like them priced as "diamonds and gold" not valued as coal.

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I feel as if this discussion comes about every time there's a new expensive T in the hobby. :rofl:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's already been said - any spider is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I just paid a good chunk of change for a MM, but you wouldn't be able to give that same spider away to many people. I can't quite see why so many people are arguing over this concept o_O There's not even a market for this spider, the seller can charge whatever they want. Hell, even if there was a market, a seller can still charge whatever they want. I saw a stack of B. albopilosum slings at an expo once for $20...

Status
Not open for further replies.