Chilobrachys electric blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Does anyone have one of these guys or know of their behavior? There's a seller on AB that's listing them for $250 for a sling which I don't think is too insane for a species that was just discovered last year. I think I'll wait though... Haha

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never kept them, but I doubt that they're much different than any other Chilobrachys. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. Have deep substrate as they'll often burrow, provide plenty of webbing anchor points (bamboo skewers work best), and keep them on the humid side. They are very high strung and have a nasty bite, so be prepared for that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone have one of these guys or know of their behavior? There's a seller on AB that's listing them for $250 for a sling which I don't think is too insane for a species that was just discovered last year. I think I'll wait though... Haha
That's an artificially inflated price, just like H. pulchripes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do you mean by artificially?
Meaning a price was determined by someone, that it seems for now, the market will bear.

P. metallica used to be $400 sling. The price could have been "set" at $250. The same for H. pulchripes.

A object etc is only worth what someone will pay for it. There's no intrinsic value in Ts, we aren't talking diamonds or gold.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Well that's obvious. That's why I said I think I'll wait. Once other importers get their hands on them they'll lower the price to be competitive and once the breeders get them to produce sacs they'll be even cheaper. That could be years though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've never kept them, but I doubt that they're much different than any other Chilobrachys. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. Have deep substrate as they'll often burrow, provide plenty of webbing anchor points (bamboo skewers work best), and keep them on the humid side. They are very high strung and have a nasty bite, so be prepared for that.
do anchor points matter? or is it just so the spider makes a cooler web?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
do anchor points matter? or is it just so the spider makes a cooler web?
They actually do matter, yes. Those web tubes aren't for show - they will create their own hides out of webbing. If you don't give anchor points, then all they'll have is the hide you provide them. This makes them more skittish IME, something you don't need with a chilobrachys

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's an artificially inflated price, just like H. pulchripes.
Ah ah funny, I was thinking the same just before, without even read your comment. Basically a less high strung, different type of 'OBT' but overpriced due to the 'fashion effect'. Lately here the price went a bit down to planet earth :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway I agree with EulersK, the care is the same 'Asian' story: lots of moist inches of substrate, a cork bark for hide, a couple of fake leaves, water dish. Done. Bite from that genus buggers is, in general, brutal :kiss: very fast of course, pretty defensive attitude.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They actually do matter, yes. Those web tubes aren't for show - they will create their own hides out of webbing. If you don't give anchor points, then all they'll have is the hide you provide them. This makes them more skittish IME, something you don't need with a chilobrachys
True but if a cork bark is present (always IMO the best) and there's an helluva of substrate they will create very nice burrows :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
True but if a cork bark is present (always IMO the best) and there's an helluva of substrate they will create very nice burrows :-s
I'll take webbing over burrows any day of the week! If you provide enough webbing anchor points, then they often never burrow at all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well that's obvious. That's why I said I think I'll wait. Once other importers get their hands on them they'll lower the price to be competitive and once the breeders get them to produce sacs they'll be even cheaper. That could be years though.
It will depend upon the perceived demand, the ease of breeding, the number of slings produced per sac etc. When Kelly Swift produced the first USA sac of P. metallica he told me they weren't a straight forward species to breed, so the price was higher naturally among other reasons stated previously. Too bad they don't drop 1,000 eggs/sac hah.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@viper69

That was strangely worded, I admit. In my experience with Chilobrachys, they won't burrow at all if you provide enough webbing anchor points. It's almost as if they make their burrows out of the webbing. Not sure if this is what's actually happening, but it's the only explanation I can come up with. If little or no anchor points are provided, they turn into a skittish pet hole.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69

That was strangely worded, I admit. In my experience with Chilobrachys, they won't burrow at all if you provide enough webbing anchor points. It's almost as if they make their burrows out of the webbing. Not sure if this is what's actually happening, but it's the only explanation I can come up with. If little or no anchor points are provided, they turn into a skittish pet hole.
Now that something I didn't know. How many of this genus have you owned, and which species?

If you want more webbing instead of burrows, time to move you into Avics :D

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I'll take webbing over burrows any day of the week! If you provide enough webbing anchor points, then they often never burrow at all.
Both my Chilobrachys are in burrows, so I can´t really compare what I prefer with them. However, I currently have 4 P. murinus; three in burrows and one crazy one who´s made a "GBB-style" web castle. I have to say, I prefer those in burrows. The one with the web castle is far more of a jack-in-the-box and much more prone to bolting around and about when I´m going into her enclosure.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Meaning a price was determined by someone, that it seems for now, the market will bear.

P. metallica used to be $400 sling. The price could have been "set" at $250. The same for H. pulchripes.

A object etc is only worth what someone will pay for it. There's no intrinsic value in Ts, we aren't talking diamonds or gold.
You do realise by the way, diamonds are worth very little, it's only because there is a monopoly on them, thus they can charge what they want, by restricting supply.

Unless the diamond is particularly large and rare - which you need multi millions for.

I recently sold two rings I bought for my ex girlfriend for £2500 each, but I received around £500 back in total - only haha! They'd only pay for the gold.

As the diamonds are worth absolutely nothing, once you leave the showroom. The dealer showed me boxes full of diamonds he has, he can't do anything with them or get any money for them as their actual value is artificial.

One of the biggest cons of the 21st century.

I will never buy a diamond ring for a girl again in my life haha.

Just a little something for you to read if you're interested - knowledge is power and all that. :)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3708562

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You do realise by the way, diamonds are worth very little, it's only because there is a monopoly on them, thus they can charge what they want, by restricting supply.

Unless the diamond is particularly large and rare - which you need multi millions for.

I recently sold two rings I bought for my ex girlfriend for £2500 each, but I received around £500 back in total - only haha! They'd only pay for the gold.

As the diamonds are worth absolutely nothing, once you leave the showroom. The dealer showed me boxes full of diamonds he has, he can't do anything with them or get any money for them as their actual value is artificial.

One of the biggest cons of the 21st century.

I will never buy a diamond ring for a girl again in my life haha.

Just a little something for you to read if you're interested - knowledge is power and all that. :)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3708562
I have relatives in the jewelry business, when I was very young they taught me "never buy a diamond for investment purposes", that article is not news at all. Again, everything goes back to what I said, something is worth only what one is willing to pay for it. Whether it's a T, a diamond, an antique or a comic book.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Now that something I didn't know. How many of this genus have you owned, and which species?

If you want more webbing instead of burrows, time to move you into Avics :D
0.1.1 C. fimbriatus (one adult female, one raised from a sling and is currently 1.5" dls)
1.2.1 C. andersoni (one raised from sling to adult male, two subadult females that were traded off, one current juvie unsexed)
0.0.1 C. huahini

The C. fimbriatus webs much more than the andersoni, but both forsake a burrow if web anchors are offered. I actually accidentally ran an experiment on the C. huahini. I housed it in an enclosure made for burrowing, and for uninteresting reasons, I had to rehouse it a week later. By that time, it had dug down quite deep and was already a pet hole. After the rehouse, I offered plenty of anchor points as well as plenty of substrate. It hasn't even begun to burrow, but the entire enclosure is covered in web forming tubes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.