Chilobrachys dyscolus

Tarantula B

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I need closure , is the Chilobrachys dyscolus named the vietnam Blue or Electric Blue? There are so many names and I'm confused of what to identify it as? Help.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Chilobrachys dyscolus is the Vietnam Blue, then there's another species called Chilobrachys sp. electric blue.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
They're both really beautiful. I really like the Electric Blue. It's a lot more expensive though.

Tarantula B

Arachnosquire
Yeah I agree, both are pretty. I was asking cause I just bought a 1.5 suspect female Chilobrachys dyscolus

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
It's definitely not sp. Electric Blue. However Chilobrachys dyscolus and Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam Blue are thought be colour variants potentially. Ask the seller which one you purchased.
There are a lot of undescribed(or not ID'd(meaning it could all ready be described just has not been compared to type material)) Chilobrachys. What was(and still is) sold as Chilobrachys sp. 'blue' or 'Vietnam blue' was examined by Volker Von Wirth and they match both the type specimen of C. dyscolus and type locale of south Vietnam. What has been in the hobby for years as C. dyscolus are from Thailand may be a regional variant or not. Keep them separate. Chilobrachys sp. 'Black Satan' is a new to the hobby and is not Chilobrachys dyscolus.

As of now I have mine from Chilobrachys from Vietnam labeled; Chilobrachys dyscolus 'blue' (South Vietnam) I suggest you do the same to avoid confusion down the road.