Chilobrachy hauhini

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Recently bought a juvi chilobracy hauhini

I've put it in its new enclosure I didn't put a hide in because I was hopping that it would web up the enclosure. I checked on it this morning and couldn't find it but it's seamed to have found a home in the Conor of the the enclosure.under a rock now I'm concerned in case the sub slips and it falls on top off it what do you think ? Remove it or leave it ?

Also the webbing above the rock and over the fake plants I've got in their has substrate on it almost as if it was trying to hid its web , is this common ? Was quiet impressed but don't know if it was an accident

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

user 666

Arachnobaron
If that is an actual rock then I would remove - better safe than sorry.

The piled up dirt is from the tunnel your C huahini started digging. It has probably been webbed in place, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
You should get rid of the rocks and offer a piece of cork bark as a hide. Obligate burrowers don't NEED hides but they will often use them. Both of my Chilobrachys slings have incorporated the cork bark hides I gave them in to their burrows. The best way to encourage them to web is by offering plenty of anchor points--I do that by sticking plastic coffee stirrers in to the substrate. Works like a charm! I would also offer deeper substrate to give it the option of burrowing. Both of mine have burrowed AND webbed extensively, so it isn't necessarily a one or the other scenario.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I would remove the rock asap, it just needs to burrow a little more and the structural integrity will be completely compromised.

That rock is an accident waiting to happen. Cork bark is a much better alternative, barely weighs a thing and is practically mold proof, it's also an excellent anchor point for webbers.

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Ok that's brilliant advice thank you
I have cork bark in there that it seamed to be webbin but has since went to that rock , removed the rock and now waiting to see where it's chooses to make home again

Thanks for the advice

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I give my obligate burrowers cork bark hides so that they feel comfortable enough to start their burrows. Normally the cork hide gets built into the framework of the burrow and the Ts are happy. I've only used a flat rock once to make a hide, and my OBT put so much web on and beneath that rock that it wasn't going to move if I put a ten pound weight on it. Remember, in the wild, obligate burrowers would burrow under rocks anyway. The t knows what it's doing.

Last edited:

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Yeah my brachypelma boehmei I placed a cork bark in its enclosure with a plant pot under it at an angle so it was as if it's a pre dug burrow now it's chilling in there with web out side off it , ready for its molt. Need to do the same with my huahini but I removed the rock from its enclosure and it has went back to the bark I originally had in there going to check on it when I get in here's a picture off my boehmei's enclosure do you think I should do the same with my hauhini once it's bigger ? IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
And a picture of my hauhini's before I removed the rocks , placed a bit off fake plant above the cork bark as well and that's where's it was chilling and had been webbing over night

Attachments

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah my brachypelma boehmei I placed a cork bark in its enclosure with a plant pot under it at an angle so it was as if it's a pre dug burrow now it's chilling in there with web out side off it , ready for its molt. Need to do the same with my huahini but I removed the rock from its enclosure and it has went back to the bark I originally had in there going to check on it when I get in here's a picture off my boehmei's enclosure do you think I should do the same with my hauhini once it's bigger ? View attachment 243897 View attachment 243897 View attachment 243898
How big is your B.Bohemi?

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Yeah that's true like but it seams to just to go in its hide or above it chilling on the fake plants ,it hasn't been out it's hide in days tho it's due to molt soon , do you think wait till it's molted then buy a smaller enclosure ? Pictures attached are off its previous enclosure when I bought it and kinda for size reference

Attachments

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah that's true like but it seams to just to go in its hide or above it chilling on the fake plants ,it hasn't been out it's hide in days tho it's due to molt soon , do you think wait till it's molted then buy a smaller enclosure ? Pictures attached are off its previous enclosure when I bought it and kinda for size reference
As long as its not having trouble finding its food, some would say it was good. However as a rule new world terrestrials generally prefer more cramped quarters. I believe two and a half times the leg span of the t is sufficient. Arboreals however like space and feel more comfortable with it. I learned that recently myself.

I'd wait until it hardened from its molt and change quarters.

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Yeah I usually wait till it's hungry and drop it in front off it and it pounces straight onto and back into the hide But yeah I will change quarters soon as it's hardened , I got the house about 15 mins ago and it's in molt so happy ! and sorry I must sound like a complete noob which to be fair I am but I'm learning so apologies hahaha

Attachments

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah I usually wait till it's hungry and drop it in front off it and it pounces straight onto and back into the hide But yeah I will change quarters soon as it's hardened , I got the house about 15 mins ago and it's in molt so happy ! and sorry I must sound like a complete noob which to be fair I am but I'm learning so apologies hahaha
Fingers crossed for the little one

Aaron Evans

Arachnopeon
Ano it's me little baby at the min, fingers crossed.
cheers for your time and advice anyway bud highly appreciated as it is with all the help I receive from this brilliant community

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Ano it's me little baby at the min, fingers crossed.
cheers for your time and advice anyway bud highly appreciated as it is with all the help I receive from this brilliant community
No problem. I know the feeling, I have two P.Cambridgi, a P.Fasciata, and a P.Miranda that I'm doting on.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Roughly about 2/3 inch
That's much larger then 2/3 inch, should do fine in its current enclosure.