chilli rose spinnerets

mark1968

Arachnopeon
hi everybody i'm new on this forum, thanks for looking and if possible answering my question. i bought my 14 year old daughter a chilli rose it's approx 2-3 years old now that's what the shop owner told me. weve had it over two weeks and today my daughter while holding the spider noticed the spinnerets was opening twice today this has happened and now is afraid to pick the spider up. could someone put her mind at rest and mine of course. thanks very much mark...

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The spinnerets was opening? You mean like it was webbing on her hand? If so then there is no need for her to be afraid......

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am wondering if the OP is familiar with arachnid anatomy, and could be referring to something else when he says 'spinnerets?'

Mark1968, try to describe what you were seeing.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby!

Welcome to this forum!

hi everybody i'm new on this forum, thanks for looking and if possible answering my question. i bought my 14 year old daughter a chilli rose it's approx 2-3 years old now that's what the shop owner told me. weve had it over two weeks and today my daughter while holding the spider noticed the spinnerets was opening twice today this has happened and now is afraid to pick the spider up. could someone put her mind at rest and mine of course. thanks very much mark...
Ahhhh! A newbie! (Please don't take offense. I've been at this 42 years and still consider myself a novice!)

First, read Stan's Rant (http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html).

Then, read CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA (http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html)

Lastly, has anyone told you about the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

Enjoy your newfound, little, 8-legged buddy!

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I think the worst thing that can happen from spinerettes opening up is a bit of web on your hand or a droplet of white poo. I've been poo'ed on by G.pulchra spiderling it was almost like it was saying i am the boss and then proceeded to run up to my face. so really nothing harmful comes from spinerettes unless you are refering to something else?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bought my 14 year old daughter a chilli rose it's approx 2-3 years old now that's what the shop owner told me.
How big is the tarantula? Unless it is smaller than a quarter or half dollar, the store owner was incorrect. Most G. rosea are W(ild)C(aught) and there is no way to know how old it is. We have a G. rosea spiderling(baby tarantula) that has molted twice in almost 2 years and is very small still, about the size of a quarter. This species is very slow growing and very long lived(if it is female), so take heart in that.

You have been given some very informative links to read through, so sit down and take a look at them. Welcome to the forum!:D

mark1968

Arachnopeon
chilli rose thanks

thanks to you guys who kindly answered to my question.... i thanks for the links and also the information which i was given. i can say that the spider is approx 2.5 inches from front to back of the body. while my daughter was holding the spider tonight it's spinnerets opened while i was with her then closed them again. strange why is it only doing it when she hold him/her. anyway it's a lovely animal. can we get another one to put with it or not? thanks mark.....

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks to you guys who kindly answered to my question.... i thanks for the links and also the information which i was given. i can say that the spider is approx 2.5 inches from front to back of the body. while my daughter was holding the spider tonight it's spinnerets opened while i was with her then closed them again. strange why is it only doing it when she hold him/her. anyway it's a lovely animal. can we get another one to put with it or not? thanks mark.....
I still think there is some confusion..

Spinnerets are the silk producing organs on the back of the abdomen or it's rear end. They don't open and close as they are already always out and may spread like tiny fingers to lay silk.

Do you mean the Chelicerae? Chelicerae are what the Tarantulas fangs are coming from and are used to masticate the prey once caught.

http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/608

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
can we get another one to put with it or not? thanks mark.....
No, G. rosea are not communal and you will wind up with one fat spider if you try. Very few species are truly communal. If that is something that does interest you, run a search and do a bunch of research prior, it has been discussed many times around here. :)

Last edited:

webbedone

Arachnobaron
They will definatly eat each other! and i still belive that you using term spinerette in referance to another external organ.