Chill Rose T not moved

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am a new owner of a Red Chilli Rose T and I am a complete novice when it comes to T's so I looking for a bit of advice to help put my mind at ease,

Two days ago I finally got my substrate right and my T finally come down of the glass over night but since then she has not moved from the top of her hide, she never goes into her hide or moves around (that I've seen) for two days now, is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
You will find that most tarantulas are pet rocks. At least most of NW ones. So yeah, it's normal.. Especially for a G. rosea.. Mine probably hasn't moved in a week :D

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Pic of the specimen/ enclosure? If its housed according to its requirements, got fresh water available and not in a death curl or dehydrated I wouldn't sweat it as G. rosea's/ porteri's are considered pet rocks.. T's can be still for weeks and barely move.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
The only thing you could have done wrong is have a moist substrate. These species need bone dry substrate. Water dish should be their only source of humidity.. If you have it dry, it's normal. If it's wet, this might be the reason why it's hanging around on the hide. I'm guessing an adult?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
The only thing you could have done wrong is have a moist substrate. These species need bone dry substrate. Water dish should be their only source of humidity.. If you have it dry, it's normal. If it's wet, this might be the reason why it's hanging around on the hide. I'm guessing an adult?
I have had a nightmare with substrate from the beginning. I'm using coco block as my substrate but you have to submerge it in water before using it, I done this left it for 2 hours then rinsed the excess water off and it doesn't feel damp or wet to touch any ideas on a better substrate? She is 8 months old.

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Pic of the specimen/ enclosure? If its housed according to its requirements, got fresh water available and not in a death curl or dehydrated I wouldn't sweat it as G. rosea's/ porteri's are considered pet rocks.. T's can be still for weeks and barely move.
I will send a picture of her and the enclosure when I finish work. She isn't in a death curl I just worry about the substrate. Is there any decent substrate you can buy that doesn't involve getting wet to use?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
You will find that most tarantulas are pet rocks. At least most of NW ones. So yeah, it's normal.. Especially for a G. rosea.. Mine probably hasn't moved in a week :D
Thank you. What substrate have you got yours on?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Where can you get this from?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037AP...de=df0&creative=22226&creativeASIN=B0037AP20I

You have it in UK :) Although its quite pricey.. for 10€ I get 10kg... Though to be fair 4kg of peat moss will accomodate at least 3 adult tarantulas.. Its really light especially when you dry it out. This is rather important if you're getting this.. It will be really moist so you'll have to dump it into some sort of a container and put it on a radiator or something overnight.. Its too damp for a G. rosea straight from the bag

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
It's basically used for potting plants.. So I'd say in an gardening store probably. I got mine in hardware/gardening store :)
Did you have to do anything with it or did you literally just take it out the bag and put it into the enclosure?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Red Chilli Rose...that's a new one. For your sake, i hope it is not indicative for her temperament ;).

How big is she? (If it is a she, you know the sex of this spider?)
This species likes it dry, unless it's a sling, but even then most people just provide a waterdish.
Pics would help. In the meantime, read this thread on G.rosea care:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ch...w-to-really-take-care-of-your-g-rosea.226727/
That's what the shop told me she was a she and a red chilli rose Her body is around 1.1 inch wide and 2.5 inches long without legs.
I will provide pictures when I finish work but thank you for that quote

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037AP...de=df0&creative=22226&creativeASIN=B0037AP20I

You have it in UK :) Although its quite pricey.. for 10€ I get 10kg... Though to be fair 4kg of peat moss will accomodate at least 3 adult tarantulas.. Its really light especially when you dry it out. This is rather important if you're getting this.. It will be really moist so you'll have to dump it into some sort of a container and put it on a radiator or something overnight.. Its too damp for a G. rosea straight from the bag
han

Awesome thank you for this, so if I dump it into a container and leave it on my radioator when will I know it's perfect to go into the enclosure? As this is my trouble I think I'm having with substrate. Do you have a picture of what yours should look like?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's what the shop told me she was a she and a red chilli rose Her body is around 1.1 inch wide and 2.5 inches long without legs.
I will provide pictures when I finish work but thank you for that quote
Okay, at that size, she is definetely much older than you were told. This species grows really slow. It is probably around five years old, if not older. Which isn't a problem if it is indeed a female, with this species getting 20 years old ;).

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
han

Awesome thank you for this, so if I dump it into a container and leave it on my radioator when will I know it's perfect to go into the enclosure? As this is my trouble I think I'm having with substrate. Do you have a picture of what yours should look like?
It has to be bone dry all through :)

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Okay, at that size, she is definetely much older than you were told. This species grows really slow. It is probably around five years old, if not older. Which isn't a problem if it is indeed a female, with this species getting 20 years old ;).
Thank you that's good that it will live longer had me worried then. I will send pictures in a couple of hours Do you have any advice for a first timer?