Chill Rose T not moved

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What would you say is a good beginner webbing spider for an amteur?
I'd say either get another Grammastola (pulchra, pulchripes) or get a Brachypelma (they like to kick hair but as long as you don't stick your hands/face in the enclosure you should be okay.
Re:webbing species
Gbb is a nice starter webber, but this species is rather fast and skittish. Brachypelma is a better second starter imo. B.albopilosum is fairly active (for a tarantula). Avicularia sp. Also make nice webtubes, this species is arboreal, but can be vulnerable for new keepers mistakes. Make sure you read the link @Ungoliant provided first.
But i woukd set up your first tarantula right and start reading on here about basic anatomy and beginner info. A member here made an excellent video series on Youtube, called AraneAid. It goes through all the basics.
While most Ts will lay down a web mat over the substrate of their enclosure they are not really webbers IMO. The Brachypelma and Grammastola species I have will do this but not web much else.

GBB is a really good webber and they can be a little fast but not bad. You just need to work with it in an open space an have a catch cup. Once they make a web home mine have not tried to run out of the enclosure. They just run for their web to hide.

Avics are arboreal and make neat web funnels. They are not too bad to keep as long as you set them up right.

My N.incei have all put out decent webbing so far in their deli cups. When they are rehoused out of the deli I am planning on giving them a setup with good web anchors and a decent amount of substrate. It'll be cool to see what they do since they will tunnel as well as web.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
While most Ts will lay down a web mat over the substrate of their enclosure they are not really webbers IMO. The Brachypelma and Grammastola species I have will do this but not web much else.

That's my bad, I read the question fast I guess and didn't see the "webbing" part (or OP added it later? Not sure). I wouldn't have recommended either of those if I had seen that part - my Brachy has never webbed a day in her life, nor has my G pulchra or G pulchripes.

I'd second the GBB in this case. I've never had problems with mine and even though he is a little weirdo, I love him dearly and will definitely be getting more in the future.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

GBB is a really good webber and they can be a little fast but not bad. You just need to work with it in an open space an have a catch cup. Once they make a web home mine have not tried to run out of the enclosure. They just run for their web to hide.

Avics are arboreal and make neat web funnels. They are not too bad to keep as long as you set them up right.

My N.incei have all put out decent webbing so far in their deli cups. When they are rehoused out of the deli I am planning on giving them a setup with good web anchors and a decent amount of substrate. It'll be cool to see what they do since they will tunnel as well as web.
I recommended getting a Brachypelma as a second because her first T needed a lot of help in set up. ;)
Agreed on the webbing though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is a shot of my new enclosure I'm trying for my C.cyaneopubescens. He has only been in there 2 weeks and has been really busy. I feed him on the web. I've not seen him use the hide or touch the ground since he made the 1st web hammock. It's been kinda neat watching him use all the sticks. :D

This one doesn't show the web as good because of the glare but you can see how high he is from the floor. He seems to like it and stays mostly in the thick web part slowly working his web structure out more each day.

cold blood

Staff member
new T owner here. i was in the same predicament as you, up until this morning...
i got my grammastola this past monday the 2nd, and it stayed in its hide for two straight days!! until this morning and i woke up, looked at its enclosure.. and there it was.. roaming around freely.. being active.. of course an hour later though it was back in its hide and it hasnt moved now for about 8 hours lol. dont freak out its normal :p
Well what species of Grammostola did you get.