Chill out...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I put an adult female H. lividum in the fridge to slow her down for packing and it didn't work in the slightest. She was more mad when she came out than when she went in. In the end I just dealt with it and packed her up.
Yes well time varies sometimes I put mine in and check at 8 minutes and see how the T is reacting.... then if she is still pissy I check back every 3-4 minutes until she shows signs of slowing down. Then I take her out and guide her into the container....... then leave the container in the room for a half hour or so and away she goes.

Size plays a factor in the timing too......

Saddle lol youd hide in the fridge....lol great image....

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
animal cruelty ? thats what its caled?:)
hmm yes there are big and bad animals and you should have that in mind when buying it !
...did you actually read what he posted? He does this when shipping tarantulas to other people, from which one can infer that he already owns said animals and knows what is involved in caring for them.

Think of it like this... you're not only keeping yourself from getting bit, you're keeping the tarantula from injuring itself from any hijinks that may occur when you're trying to put it in the shipping container.

epiphone

Arachnopeon
i have nothing to say, you guys are just beeing dumb:wall: sorry
its not many serious tarantula keepers here is it:? hahahaha;)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with talkenlate 04 but i did it for no longer then 10/ 12 mins and it did the job :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: as for saddlepatch how did you FIT in the fridge LOL :? :confused: :D +++ phil

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have nothing to say, you guys are just beeing dumb:wall: sorry
its not many serious tarantula keepers here is it:? hahahaha;)
Real nice way to make an entrance. ;) Here's an idea, keep you opinions to yourself unless we ask for them.

I only agree with the fridge method when packing or trying to move a REALLY disagreeable T and there is no other method of safely transporting it. This should not be used as a way of calming a T down for a handling or photography session. It must be monitored carefully though. T's are actually a lot more cold tolerant than you would think. I lost heating in my critter room and it was 55 over night, and everyone bounced back.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
i agree with talkenlate 04 but i did it for no longer then 10/ 12 mins and it did the job :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: as for saddlepatch how did you FIT in the fridge LOL :? :confused: :D +++ phil
Hey I was a tiny kid, lol. :p

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This topic has been done many times before.

What it boils down to is that tarantulas are cold-blooded organisms. Lowering the temperature will lower their metabolism and reduce their overall speed for a short period of time with no long-term negative effects to the spider.

There is no suffering, pain, etc. on the part of the spider - there is no cruelty involved. For someone not comfortable dealing with the speed of a particular species (without getting into the topic of people not owning spiders they can't "handle"), slowing it down in the fridge is preferable to it getting loose, injured, etc.

Becca

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I take it you never saw that episode of Punky Brewster where her friend was trapped in the fridge and they had to do CPR :eek:
I am dying from laughter over here....... I dont think I would have ever remembered that show and episode unless you had brought it up...... freaking funny man. :clap: :clap: :clap:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This topic has been done many times before.

What it boils down to is that tarantulas are cold-blooded organisms. Lowering the temperature will lower their metabolism and reduce their overall speed for a short period of time with no long-term negative effects to the spider.

There is no suffering, pain, etc. on the part of the spider - there is no cruelty involved. For someone not comfortable dealing with the speed of a particular species (without getting into the topic of people not owning spiders they can't "handle"), slowing it down in the fridge is preferable to it getting loose, injured, etc.

Becca
very well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) ;) +++ phil

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey I tried to say that in 10 different ways lol........ if I knew a few other languages I would have tried that too!

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I take it you never saw that episode of Punky Brewster where her friend was trapped in the fridge and they had to do CPR :eek:
Nope. :D Guess it was pretty stupid now that I look back. Oh well, no harm done (I think). xD

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never tried the fridge method but if I need to I sure as heck will....no different than tranquillizing a horse or other animal.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i to have used this method many times i even had a male p. ornata that i used method on every time i cleanad or re housed it it went on to be mated with two females one produced a sac of healthy slings almost 200 with no ill efects chris...

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey what ever I run a thoroughbred breeding farm and every so often I have to trank horses to load on a trailer or see a Ferrier....trust me when they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars you want them to be safe....oh and I don't want to get my face kicked in either haha. My sister who runs another facility tried to load a mare that had serious issue with loading (prior abuse) and she chose not to trank her the mare thrashed around so much on the semi trailer that she had to be put down.....so yeah better safe than sorry.

Steph

ps- the mare that had to be put down had a foal by her side...how sad all my sis had to do was trank her.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Hey what ever I run a thoroughbred breeding farm and every so often I have to trank horses to load on a trailer or see a Ferrier....trust me when they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars you want them to be safe....oh and I don't want to get my face kicked in either haha. My sister who runs another facility tried to load a mare that had serious issue with loading (prior abuse) and she chose not to trank her the mare thrashed around so much on the semi trailer that she had to be put down.....so yeah better safe than sorry.

Steph
My dad owns a thoroughbred farm with a hundred or so horses and a lot of crazy stallions, and the workers never tranquilize. o_o

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it just common sense to do it and now i am off to bed if i can find it LOL +++ PHIL

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well our mares are the ones that go hundreds of miles to your dads breeding sheds....lol....no really we claim some horses that are so abused and mistreated that we have no choice. It takes a while to retrain them but if there feet have to be done I would rather trank than use any other method to distract them also when you have a foal by the mothers side you have to load with out incident or the foal wont want to load for years also one or the other might end up getting hurt......which my boss would be very very unhappy about.

I'm surprised that your dads farm doesn't trank we have had mares tranked while being bred loads of time...considering they could do some real damage to a good stud. Any good names at your dads barn?

Steph

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well our mares are the ones that go hundreds of miles to your dads breeding sheds....lol....no really we claim some horses that are so abused and mistreated that we have no choice. It takes a while to retrain them but if there feet have to be done I would rather trank than use any other method to distract them also when you have a foal by the mothers side you have to load with out incident or the foal wont want to load for years also one or the other might end up getting hurt......which my boss would be very very unhappy about.

I'm surprised that your dads farm doesn't trank we have had mares tranked while being bred loads of time...considering they could do some real damage to a good stud. Any good names at your dads barn?

Steph
Well I've never seen our workers tranquilizing them, but I'm sure I would have heard about it sometime in my life growing up here.
We're mostly just a breeding farm. We sell a lot of great racers, but the few that we keep ourselves never do very good. :} Our stallions include Richter Scale, Glitterman, Barkerville, Acceptable, Polish Navy, Andromeda's Hero, etc. and we used to own Dynaformer (Barbaro's dad).
But anyways, back to tarantulas! Hehe. ;)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rose in the freezer

I have mentioned my H.s. chilean rose on here before, but no ones got the whole story yet. Here's another part,.....Due to a neurotic h.s. roommate, I was put in the position of loosing my job or my tarantula. It was below freezing. It was 15 years ago, but I think it was in the teens that day. (January night in Northern Indiana). My rose had to sit in the car for 4-6 hours while I was at work. I took it into coffee shop friend owned when done.
I was sure it would be dead. Or at the very least "chilling". I took him out to show a girl its fangs and bam! it latched onto my hand and fed? for the next 15 mins. So I doubt 15 min's in the fridge would kill most of them. Just remember, they can still move! Good luck! Mzm had to get my H. Malucata out for me at starbucks when transfered to her! :O) Peace, Ryan