Chilean Rose

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello to everybody on this form. I have a question about my Chilean Rose. This is my first spider and I like him alot. Being that this is my first spider I have a real quick question about him. I want to know about hany times will he molt? (He is not very old infact he is a couple of weeks old) I don't know if that will make a difference In how many times he molts.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are you sure about that age thing? A G. rosea that is only a few weeks old would be about 1/3" in size. My gut tells me that you've purchased a wild caught adult or juvenile since spiderlings of G. rosea are very uncommon, I would daresay almost impossible to find, in the sorts of stores your average person gets their first tarantula at. Not to mention that it is more expensive to purchase a G. rosea as a sling since wild caught adults and juveniles are sold wholesale for about $1-$2. Given the near complete lack of any good information from pet stores, they might very well have told you it's a baby because they either don't know any better or they just don't care enough to even tell you the truth.

That said, a sling typically moults about every 6-12 weeks for the first year or so of its life. The period between moults gradually increases as the spider increases in size until it is about 1 year between molts for adult females (although it's not uncommon for them to go 2 years). Adult males usually do not moult after maturity and die within a year or two.

Last edited:

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G Rose

He is a little bigger then 1/2 inch. Mr.T gave me the G rose as a new born.