Chilean rose trantula

Zoer994

Arachnopeon
hi I have a Chilean rose trantula it lived with my sister and her kids for 6 yrs in a noisy in environment she has told me he/she has shed once and now it was webbing all night and morning then I found him/her on its back getting ready to shed I removed the cricket as I’ve read they can damage them as I removed the cricket the trantula got back on its front and laid on its log I am worried that he/she won’t molt again for a while it’s really small for 6yr as well any advice

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I don't think your T was going to moult but rather building a sperm web and loading up his emboli. ;) You've got a mature male G. rosea - or more likely - porteri. He will never moult again.
Enclosure looks okay, just make sure the water dish is full at all times.

Last edited:

Zoer994

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you any advice on mating as I was going to find out it’s sex and have been looking up as I had a feeling it was male and they don’t live as long and I’ve never heard of a sperm web I will look that up 😁

Also should I wait to feed as he hasn’t eaten for a while

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Of course, you can try to feed him but mature males rarely eat, so, don't be alarmed. :)
Do you know when his last moult was? My MM G. rosea had his ultimate moult in September 2018 and he's still going strong. He even still eats now and then. ;)

20200216_still there.jpg

Zoer994

Arachnopeon
No I’ve only had him for about 6months my sister kept him on the shelf never really kept an eye just fed it they handle it often but she told me the last time they had the exoskeleton was just after I gave it them 6yrs ago but I’ve read trantulas sometimes gets rid of them somehow

Thekla

Arachnoprince
He looks kinda fresh and if he's still eating and making sperm webs, I doubt that he had his ultimate moult 6 years ago, she must have missed it. Otherwise, this would be a very long-living MM. ;)
Try not to handle him, he'll be very active, looking for a mate, and could get hurt very easily.

Zoer994

Arachnopeon
He looks kinda fresh and if he's still eating and making sperm webs, I doubt that he had his ultimate moult 6 years ago, she must have missed it. Otherwise, this would be a very long-living MM. ;)
Try not to handle him, he'll be very active, looking for a mate, and could get hurt very easily.
ive been looking for females but not many adults near me and I’m worried that it might not be female when I buy it as I know basics but not about weather it’s male or females except females are bigger and dull compared to males thank you for all the advice 😀

cold blood

Staff member
as I know basics but not about weather it’s male or females except females are bigger and dull compared to males thank you for all the advice 😀
This isnt factual...some males are smaller, absolutely not all are like that....a few mature males are more colorful, but in general mature males are more bland or like yours, look pretty much the same....prior to a male maturing, nearly all are virtually indistinguishable from females.

This is a female porteri (your species).

Zoer994

Arachnopeon
And I thought I read up facts You can never trust internet these days lol thank you for everything I’ll keep you in mind if anything else happens or if I get stuck again thank you soo much

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No he must have missed it. Adult males doesnt lives for 6 years, though G porteri adult males can live longer than normal i think. I dunno how long, over 2 years i think?