Chilean rose Questions

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chilean rose Questions**PICS**

I recently acquired my first tarantula. Its a Chilean rose. I've only had it a couple days so this might be normal but it seems to spend all its climbing the corners of the enclosure and hanging there for hours on end.

1. Is this normal behavior?

2. What are typical behaviors for a Tarantula that has just been placed in a new home?

3. How long does it take to finally settle in?

The substrate is dry. I already know that these guys don't like wet or damp substrate under them. The substrate is a 3 part coir/ 1 part vermiculite mixed. The temp is 75F-ish and the humidity gauge says about 70%. I can open it up further for more ventilation if necessary to lower humidity. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It Is getting used to its new surroundings.It will settle down in a few days.You could let some more ventillation in it wont hurt as they dont like humidity to high ,about 60% is ok.

Chid

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ahh sweet! i got my rosie 10 years ago, i still have her now

i noticed if the heat is too great they climb a lot, they dont really need a lot of heat, so if your heat mat is covering the entire tank move it around a bit

hope that helps

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I also picked the Rosie as my first T

When I brought her home she spent a lot of time
hanging up in the corner like that. About 3 days
later she went in the hide and started to act
normal. If you want to call what T's do "normal"
The room my T's live in is about 72f, as for humidity, I am not sure. I think 70% is a little
high, let in a little more air.
Other than that, as long as she eats, she should be fine.
At the moment mine is eating light, she's about
to molt, I think. If she does, it will be my first molt.
Welcome to the group and enjoy, you'll find that
T's are very, very addicting!
:D

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! I don't use a heat mat since the ambiant temp. in the room stays between 72 and 80. I have fed it some crickets. It ate 4 or 5 . I took a couple live ones out 4 hours after it stopped grabbing them up so as not to stress the T. out. I opened up the ventilation slots in the lid and the humidity went down to 60 so far. I feel much better now. I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that I may have done to cause the agitation or stress and it was normal. Thanks again.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Could you possibly post a few more pics of that T? Something about it is not saying Rose hair to me.....

Scott

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Could you possibly post a few more pics of that T? Something about it is not saying Rose hair to me.....

Scott
Yeah Scott, I agree , it looks like a A.seemanni to me! Do you know where you got it from? Thanks,

James

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got it from the Philadelphia Pet Expo from a dealer. He had a stack of deli cups with a sign that said Chilean rose $8.00 each or 2/$12.00. The one I chose was in the middle of the stack and didn't have anything written on it like the others. I really got it because it had the best color and markings of the group. The guy even paused at first and said he thought it was one of the striped or banded T's he had but I said it was in the Rosie stack and he shrugged and took my 8 bucks since there were literally a hundred 12 year olds swarming around me to buy herps.

These are the best I have right now:

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged

Scott
Maybe a rosie, then again, if not, you may be one of the very, VERY few privelaged enough to have scored a real G.cala (yes folks, they are a real species, just as rare as hens teeth). The only person who could answer this for sure is Rick West, you might want to ship some of your photos off to him. Both are from Chile and sometimes (less then rarely) they do get sent over without the collector knowing.

Then again, it may just be a dull G.rosea.

Steve

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for all the questions but is this normal? It looks look its chewing on the bottom of its back leg(foot?).
Would I be bothering Rick West with pictures of my possible boring G. rosea?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
That sure doesnt look like a G.Rosea, she seems ... too red...:? :confused:

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi!

Everything about those pics is saying G. rosea to me, probably red phase with some rough travel. I'll bet when she molts that she'll be a real looker! If it's G. cala (if the species ever gets a peer-reviewed paper again), one would probably have to look at a shed skin and have locality data to know. I have a copy of Chamberlin's doc on 'em, though, and it doesn't describe anything with those external features- that was 1917 and things have changed. R. West's pic of G. cala DOES look like rosea. I don't doubt that cala exists, but I do doubt it's being collected.

Anyway, don't be shocked if it does act odd for a while. Keep it room temp and room humidty with a water dish. Don't be suprised if it eats a lot one day and doesn't eat again for months. It may also molt after a brief fast, or begin eating again and not molt for two years! G. rosea is odd. . . a hardy as hell Atacama desert species.
-Garrick

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few people have refered to it as a she....can you tell from the pics or is that just a common thing to assume the gender is a she since most collectors prefer females?
I thought it was a red phase. I picked it out of the group for its color and markings. Everything I have just read about G. cala said that is very common for a red phase G. rosea to be mistaken for or misrepresented as G. cala.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmmm i know im not an expert but that doesnt look remotley like my sisters G rosea its skin color is too dark:? or mayb its just due to shed and gone quite dull? i dunno lol just my opinion :D

oh and my sling would spend hours "chewing" they just cleaning i think she spends hours cleaning herself after shes been redecoratig typical woman :}

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK...I'm sorry but I have another question....

After grooming itself now the T. is dripping a clear-reddish fluid....normal? Is it venom or digestive enzymes?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
looks like she is grooming herself, which they do frequently. The pic you posted of the underside is why we are refering to her as a 'she'. You've got a female :)
Mine also drip clear fluid from the mouthparts...not sure why, maybe something to do with grooming, but nothing to worry about.
I'd guess G rosea, but then again...I can't tell for sure with a pic, and it would take an expert like Rick ..and even then, probably ont 100% sure with just pics.
Holley

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for answering all my questions everyone! I'm such a newbie but I'm trying to learn and have been reading books and alot of website but some small stuff just doesn't come across well. Hopefully after she moults I can take more pics with a better camera with better light so there won't be all that glare. I'm glad to hear its a "she". I was thinking male because of the red phase coloring being so bright and the nice markings but I really didn't know. Thanks again!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
OK...I'm sorry but I have another question....

After grooming itself now the T. is dripping a clear-reddish fluid....normal? Is it venom or digestive enzymes?
Digestive enzymes. Totally normal, although are you sure it's reddish, it's usually clear to a pasty white color.

Rick wouldn't mind, I'm sure. He may take a while to get back to you though as he's a busy man.

Honestly, I still think probably a G.rosea(red phase), but you never know. Is there much irridescence on the carapace (front body section)?

Cheers,
Steve