Chilean rose moist substrate question

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking of getting a Grammostola rosea and just wondering is the substrate im planning on using going to be okay, its a soil clay based mix but it's slightly damp, I know this species likes it dry so im wondering would it be okay in it until it drys out? would it do any harm to the spider being in it until it dries naturally?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you are worried about it and don't have the spider yet, why don't you just let it dry some first?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I was just wondering would it do any harm to the T is it was to go straight in...or is it a non issue?
With good ventilation the spider would be ok but might be reluctant to hang out on the ground until the sub dries a bit. If you have the option of setting up the enclosure beforehand and letting things get to where they seem optimal, I would do that.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
I was just wondering would it do any harm to the T is it was to go straight in...or is it a non issue?
When I got my first T back in the day (G. rosea) I put her on slightly damp coco coir. She hated it and would climb the walls, but the substrate dried and she was fine. Still here 16 years later :)

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
With good ventilation the spider would be ok but might be reluctant to hang out on the ground until the sub dries a bit. If you have the option of setting up the enclosure beforehand and letting things get to where they seem optimal, I would do that.
Yeah Im doing this already I have it in the sun most of the day drying out I was just making sure nothing drastic would happen if the spider was to go in it being a bit moist as I know this species doesn't like moist substrate, just don't want anything to be potentially harmful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s not an issue if you don’t care about your T

Sub that is too moist to a Ts liking means they often go vertical.

Why put your T through any “discomfort” when it’s NOT necessary?

good luck!

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Just put it under the sun for couple hours. The substrate dont need to be totally dry.