Chilean Rose Hair and Earth Moving

EducateMe

Arachnopeon
I have a Chilean rose hair sling that has recently started "balling" up the substrate and moving/stacking/pushing it to build assume. Is she doing this trying to create a burrow with not enough substrate? I understood they were terrestrial but rarely burrow in captivity.
I'm relatively new to my new hobby, so be nice please.

Attachments

FASSETT

Arachnopeon
Hey Ts have personalties and watching the build there homes are on one side of the cage then like 2-3 months later she moves it to the other side. Lol sounds like my wifes habits around the house. But do tons of research im sure youve done. Patient is key. Tip. Make it fun for you and your T and have a appealing enclosure. Hobby Lobby. Container Store. Michaels, cork bark and coco fiber with small drill out holes.

EducateMe

Arachnopeon
Hey Ts have personalties and watching the build there homes are on one side of the cage then like 2-3 months later she moves it to the other side. Lol sounds like my wifes habits around the house. But do tons of research im sure youve done. Patient is key. Tip. Make it fun for you and your T and have a appealing enclosure. Hobby Lobby. Container Store. Michaels, cork bark and coco fiber with small drill out holes.
I absolutely am thrilled watching our t's build and create. Currently we have 7 and each one has started giving us all kinds of personality and are so different from one another. They are really incredible, smart T's. We bought some driftwood for some of my bfs larger ones and we ordered cork bark Wednesday, just waiting now

FASSETT

Arachnopeon
Yup yup 7 is a good number lol its what i got. I have a really busy life and can still take care of them as well as watch and care for all of them. Its really funny if you think about it but what i hate doing is buying bark and dirt lol. I feel like a total dummy :p

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
A lot of slings tend to build their own hides even though you provide them with one. They prefer the DIY approach :) Perhaps it is annoyed by the amount of light reaching the enclosure and is trying to block it with the substrate. I've noticed that on my N. chromatus sling enclosure. It was positioned in a way that it became very bright in there during the day and the spider created walls of substrate around the cup.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Your sling's abdomen looks dark and shiny..it might be getting ready to molt. That tub looks fine to me, especially with this slow growing species ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Add a small water dish. Helps prevent dehydration when you're not feeding due to premolt.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
All my non burrowing species burrow. They only use it if they get startled though.

Two "rose hairs"
A.genic
All my Brachypelma,
Even my LP.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's all normal behavior. No one can explain their behavior too much as T behavior is rarely studied.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My terrestrial slings loved to burrow, but as they got bigger, they tend to just stay topside. When I housed them in permanent homes with half-wood hides, they rarely even use them. The exception was my A seemanni who finally decided to burrow as an adult. But even she abandoned her tunnels and is topside every time I peek in lately.

I always assumed terrestrial slings in captivity tend to burrow more than their adult counterparts. Just my experience -- I haven't kept the broad range of species some here have.

cold blood

Staff member
I always assumed terrestrial slings in captivity tend to burrow more than their adult counterparts. Just my experience -- I haven't kept the broad range of species some here have.
So true....even in ts that almost never burrow will often burrow as slings.

OP, i love your user name.

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
I love watching my roses dig. They're industrious little guys. I'll watch mine gather up a ball of dirt and walk it over to a hole to fill it. Another T that seems to do this a lot is B. Albopilosum. Enjoy the creation :)

keks

Arachnobaron
My first enclosure I had set up was for my Grammostola porteri. The girl didn't agree with my set up, and worked hard for some days. It was very interesting to watch her digging at the back side and rebuilding the hill on the left side. She was very pedantic, every load had to be on the right place. I love this tarantula :rolleyes:. (She is the only one I still have [since 9 years], and I never would give her away.)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a Chilean rose hair sling that has recently started "balling" up the substrate and moving/stacking/pushing it to build assume. Is she doing this trying to create a burrow with not enough substrate? I understood they were terrestrial but rarely burrow in captivity.
I'm relatively new to my new hobby, so be nice please.
It's normal, especially for slings.

Also, it looks like a molt is upcoming soon.

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
I just walked in on my rose sling moving a ball of dirt and I couldn't help but recall This Thread LOL. I was too late to get my camera for the money shot though

sasker

Arachnoprince
Aren't they the most adorable thing when they do that! My MM Euathlus sp red does the same thing.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I once caught my teeny 1/4 E. sp. red sling moving some substrate, and my heart melted. Oh, that tiny little digger. My AF E. sp. red is far too busy webbings the sides of her enclosure and wandering around. I love her so much.

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
Ok so I made a post last earlier this week about having rehomed all my T's that weekend. Well today is the first day I've fed the roses since then and one of them did this crazy maneuver.

20170513_103314.jpg
It's a small KK and he has webbed up to the top vent on the side, also layering it with substrate from his tunnel
20170513_103438.jpg