Chilean Flame (homeomma chilensis) any Canadian breeders? Or Curly hair tliltocatl albopilosus for beginner.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I've been researching what might be a better suited tarantula for a beginner between a few species. The 2 in the title, along with a few dwarf species. Ideally I want something active, terrestrial that I will see, and docile even though I don't plan on doing any handling. The Chilean flame seems to be the all around best that ticks all the checkmarks for me, however it seems of all the major breeders in Canada are simply not breeding this one. Also, I looked at the Canadian subforum to check out the classifieds, but the link is dead.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
check the canadian forum, helps to explore the site.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Good luck finding H. chilensis anywhere, since Chile banned exports they're like gold dust, any time they pop up for sale they sell out within minutes.

T. albopilosus is the best readily available beginner species you can get tbh.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I wouldn't buy a T if you want a pet that's active. They mainly sit around and not to much.

T albos are great; eat nice, grow good, well behaved and sit out a lot even when small, they also total bulldozers so that makes good watching. And of course they are fuzzy and delightful.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I’d go for something besides Homoeomma chilensis as your first. Even if you did find them (which it took me years), the only thing I’ve seen available are tiny slings. They start out extremely small. Like under 1/4 of an inch. And they take years to grow. They can go off food for really long periods for seemingly no reason and not molt for over a year as a sling. All of which is stressful as a new keeper. Get something else and keep looking for Homoeomma chilensis, to add when you are ready…or rather when you can find one.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Even here in EU H. chilensis seems to be always unavailable, i have been trying to find one for quite a while now.
compared, its kinda easy to find some considered rare species like T. seladonia, C. sp aureo or even C. sp valhala than H. chilensis.

OP- T. albopilosus is a great choice, either the nicaragua or honduran form

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Good luck finding H. chilensis anywhere, since Chile banned exports they're like gold dust, any time they pop up for sale they sell out within minutes.

T. albopilosus is the best readily available beginner species you can get tbh.
Yeah, I had read that Chile banned exports, but figured with how popular they seemed to be, that there'd be at least a few breeders in Canada with them. I'll take a further look at the albopilosus. There's someone local that has both Nicaraguan and Honduran species. Might get the Honduran one, as It is said they are a little bit less skittish. Though again, temperament from one individual to another may vary.

There was an adult female for sale a couple weeks ago, you missed it.
Likely in the US I imagine. I tried finding the Canadian subforum, but never found it, and when I found a thread on one from a few years ago, the links were simply dead.

Even here in EU H. chilensis seems to be always unavailable, i have been trying to find one for quite a while now.
compared, its kinda easy to find some considered rare species like T. seladonia, C. sp aureo or even C. sp valhala than H. chilensis.

OP- T. albopilosus is a great choice, either the nicaragua or honduran form
A worldwide shortage it seems. I believe the main reason few breed them is the slings I heard are crazy small, and have a slow growth rate, so maybe that's why some breeders with tons of different species, never have this one. Yeah it seems like both forms of the albo are great. I'm maybe leaning more towards Honduran one. Someone I have come into contact with has both forms.

I’d go for something besides Homoeomma chilensis as your first. Even if you did find them (which it took me years), the only thing I’ve seen available are tiny slings. They start out extremely small. Like under 1/4 of an inch. And they take years to grow. They can go off food for really long periods for seemingly no reason and not molt for over a year as a sling. All of which is stressful as a new keeper. Get something else and keep looking for Homoeomma chilensis, to add when you are ready…or rather when you can find one.
Yeah I heard that's a big drawback for a first time keeper. It will be very long before you get something that resembles a T lol, and slings being incredibly small. Likely will look at Honduran curly hair, or maybe another dwarf species, if I find that there is one that is suitable as a first time keeper. Generally dwarf species from what I've read are fast, skittish, and burrow a lot.

Can you please let me know which links are dead?

Thanks,

Debby
I was Googling arachnoboards canada and found a few old threads on the Canadian sub-forum, and a link I found simply didn't work. I don't remember what link it was, I just closed it, and kept looking. Would have been nice to find the Canadian classified forum as I don't believe you can import anything from the USA into Canada.

I wouldn't buy a T if you want a pet that's active. They mainly sit around and not to much.

T albos are great; eat nice, grow good, well behaved and sit out a lot even when small, they also total bulldozers so that makes good watching. And of course they are fuzzy and delightful.
Active is the wrong choice of word. I meant visible. Ideally it would be nice to have a pet rock as some say, vs a pet hole. I don't mind if the T doesn't move, but it would be nice to be able to somewhat see them if possible. Yeah the albo do seem from what I've read to likely be one of the better choices for a first time keeper. I did not know they tend to bulldoze, as in they like to decorate their tank I assume you mean? I may have slightly preferred something smaller like a dwarf, however it seems most are fossorial, and a bit skittish, fast, and take a great amount of time to grow into something that looks like a T.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Yeah, I had read that Chile banned exports, but figured with how popular they seemed to be, that there'd be at least a few breeders in Canada with them. I'll take a further look at the albopilosus. There's someone local that has both Nicaraguan and Honduran species. Might get the Honduran one, as It is said they are a little bit less skittish. Though again, temperament from one individual to another may vary.
I've found my sling to be a little quick sometimes, but they soon run into their hide rather than out the enclosure.

They have such a strong feeding response, which is great! Just be prepared for it to fly at the food item you drop in

I did not know they tend to bulldoze, as in they like to decorate their tank I assume you mean?
Yes that's right, give them substrate as slings and they will just dig and dig

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I've found my sling to be a little quick sometimes, but they soon run into their hide rather than out the enclosure.

They have such a strong feeding response, which is great! Just be prepared for it to fly at the food item you drop in
Yeah they seem great. When I had looked into T's years ago. It was all about rosies, red knees, and a few other species. This is the first time I heard of the curly hair T's, and they seem to get nothing but praise. I'm guessing they are a newer popular T discovered in the last few decades.

Nope, here in Canada
:O Do you happen to remember the price? I'm currently looking for the Canadian sub-forum with the classifieds, but for the life of me, I cannot find it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Yeah they seem great. When I had looked into T's years ago. It was all about rosies, red knees, and a few other species. This is the first time I heard of the curly hair T's, and they seem to get nothing but praise. I'm guessing they are a newer popular T discovered in the last few decades.
They really are brilliant! Cheap, cute, hardy as heck, love to eat and are generally very easy going.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Would have been nice to find the Canadian classified forum as I don't believe you can import anything from the USA into Canada.
@moricollins already linked you to the thread to request access to the Canadian forum.

As for classifieds, there is only one place now for all classifieds (including Canada), and that can be found here: https://arachnoboards.com/classifieds/

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
That worked. I applied. Silly question but the Canadian sub-forum is for classifieds I assume, as I don't see any other reason to separate us from normal discussions :p
You were already approved. ;)

Please read my post above, as I already answered as to where the Classifieds can be found.

As for the separation, here is the description for the Canada forum: "A forum for Canadian members to disseminate information that is specific to Canada".

Moroes

Arachnopeon
You were already approved. ;)

Please read my post above, as I already answered as to where the Classifieds can be found.

As for the separation, here is the description for the Canada forum: "A forum for Canadian members to disseminate information that is specific to Canada".
Oh ok, thanks. I can use that subforum for when talking about Canadian species, breeders, etc. Excuse me while I struggle to find the actual Canadian subforum lol.