Chil rose hair

nutz4rosie

Arachnopeon
:? Hi I have read about tarantulas and finally bought a beautiful rose hair. Shes been eating 2 crickets evry few days. I gave her a pinkie which she attacked but never ate. i removed the pinkie after a day. Now shes been digging in the substrate removing the small rocks and placing them in a pile. I havent read that chil. rose hairs borrow. So my ? is- is she borrowing, or is she getting ready to molt? She is usually not active during the day till 7PM. Nows shes all over her aquarium day & night. I have a real fern in the corner with sterile dirt mix (4 inches) with a log, water dish... hum/temp in range. I just want to make sure this is normal behavior as I am very attached to her.

slice9

Arachnopeon
This sounds like pretty normal behavior to me. You'll learn quick that rose hairs do some weird stuff for no apparent reason. Mine decided yesterday to remove a bunch of rocks from the water dish and replace them with dirt. Just a few weeks ago it webbed up most of its new cage for no apparent reason. Maybe these guys just like playing mind games with humans lol who knows.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think it's the interior designer in them!:)

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it's the interior designer in them!

I have to agree, mine is always rearranging her tank. Plus mine is quite the burrower. Right now she has about 6" of substrate and has intricate tunnels with three exits/entrances. Very odd behavior seems to be the norm for rose hairs. :)

nutz4rosie

Arachnopeon
=D I find her to be so amazing. I have a few inches of substrate in her tank. I am thinking of adding 2 more inches. Shes been digging shallow pits and lays in it, then she digs some more. I love the way she picks up the pebbles.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I' m sure your rosie would like the added substrate. Both of my G. rosea setups have about 5-6" of substrate and they have a great time burrowing in it. They are good at digging a burrow and staying in it for awhile, then covering it up and starting again somewhere else. They are busy little decorators=D

slice9

Arachnopeon
nutz4rosie - In nature rosies often dig burrows, in captivity it is more uncommon. Also keep in mind that your Ts may dig themselves deeper into the ground if it is too hot (this is why an undercage heater is a no no for Ts), perhaps this is what it is doing? If not its probably just doing so for safety.