Chicobolus Spinigerus Pedelings!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck! You'll have to teach me all the packing tricks you learn.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The plings have started coiling up underground. I can see 3 of em doing it against the glass, one has been like that for a few days. Any idea if this is dieoff or molting?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Congrats!
Don't have any advice sadly, but I wish you luck! :)

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys!

Nearly all the visible plings have coiled up and begun molting. It's taking foreeeeverrrr. The one who coiled up first looks about halfway through, but I have no idea how long these molts normally take, though. So impatient to see how big they'll be afterwards.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks guys!

Nearly all the visible plings have coiled up and begun molting. It's taking foreeeeverrrr. The one who coiled up first looks about halfway through, but I have no idea how long these molts normally take, though. So impatient to see how big they'll be afterwards.
If you don't mind, do you think you could take pictures? I'm quite curious how they would look premolt!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've not been very successful since I've only got a camera phone and it can't really pick up something so small (as you can see in the photo on the first page). However, Mom's visiting on Thursday and her camera is much nicer. I'll get some shots then. Since the molting is taking so long I'm sure there will still be some to photograph.

They don't have any sort of visible premolt discoloration since they're still clearish-white. The one who is furthest along looks really thick now and I assume the molt is partway off.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Okiedokie, will look forward to that haha!

That sounds pretty cool!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update: The first pling to start molting has finished! It looks about the same, except fatter (and leggier). Maybe they'll put on some length after eating. No exuvium lying around that I can see.

Edit: Holy crap the post molt plings did not put on just 4 legs. They have a full number of legs per segment now, as opposed to just having like 5 pairs in the front of portion. So I guess they're real millis now. I'm so impatient to take pictures.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Congrats! That's really cool! Can't wait to see the pics!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I come bearing photographs! With a slightly better camera!

Here's the proud mama

A terrible photo of some molting babies

And a postmolt baby

I've got no idea when they'll start getting their stripes, but I'm looking forward to documenting each step of their development.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Very cool!!
I'll be watching. With my roach project going and snakes dropping eggs. I kinda have to put the millipedes on a side burner for a bit.

Pics like these are making it hard :p

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pictures! Thanks. Is the surface of the substrate slightly dry? I tend to keep my Chicobolus Spinigerus babies surface substrate moist and do not allow it to dry out as much as in the pictures. Good luck. : )

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys. 3skulls, good luck with the snake eggs!

Yeah, that little area of dry substrate has been driving me crazy. I had a tiny bit of substrate left over from filling some other tanks, so I just put it on top of the other stuff in that tank. For some reason that thin layer dries out really fast even though all the old substrate beneath stays moist, but I'm afraid of pouring too much water on since there are molting babies beneath. Suggestions? I'm wondering if putting some more leaf litter on top will help conserve moisture.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys. 3skulls, good luck with the snake eggs!

Yeah, that little area of dry substrate has been driving me crazy. I had a tiny bit of substrate left over from filling some other tanks, so I just put it on top of the other stuff in that tank. For some reason that thin layer dries out really fast even though all the old substrate beneath stays moist, but I'm afraid of pouring too much water on since there are molting babies beneath. Suggestions? I'm wondering if putting some more leaf litter on top will help conserve moisture.
I would us a spray bottle. Put it on the finest mist. How much ventilation do you have? It sounds like you have too much. What type of lid do you have? : )

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I use a spray bottle to mist. I have a screen top on that tank, but I cover it with a sheet of plastic to reduce ventilation.
Man the pedelings are super active today. It's exciting!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I use a spray bottle to mist. I have a screen top on that tank, but I cover it with a sheet of plastic to reduce ventilation.
Man the pedelings are super active today. It's exciting!
With my enclosures, ventilation is minimal. I have 16 1/8 inch holes in my enclosure lid. They are all on one end. I've never had any issues of drying with the upper lay of the substrate. This moist increases the rate of decomposition of the wood shavings and leaves on the surface. Because of this I often see the millipedes on the surface eating these two foods.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
What temps are you keeping your millipedes at?

I found 2 of my Flat Backed dead the other day. I didn't know if my T room is too warm for them.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Crackerpants: I try to keep the humidity at around 75-80 in the tank, with no heating and the plastic covering the screen, I only need to mist every week or so (I do water the plants that grow in the upper level of the tank too). I'll try bumping it up until the fresh substrate decomposes more I guess?

@3skulls: They're at 75-6 during the day, and the low 70s at night. No heating now that the weather isn't in the 40s anymore. Aw man that sucks. I seem to recall reading that polydesmids are intolerant of high temperatures but I'm probably wrong about that?