Chickens, anyone?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 5 hens are some of the best pets I've ever kept. I rasied them from day-olds and they simply adore attention. They are almost 10 months old. One of mine will even pur like a cat when scratched on the right spot. The lay me 4-5 eggs a day. I have 3 rhode island reds (Brown eggs) and 2 easter eggers. (Pretty mutts with blue egg laying gene, both lay seafoam green eggs) The have a unique pecking order, deciding who gets what and how much scolding one gets. (Ranks: Nugget- flock leader, Runt Runt- flock manager, Big Red- food supplier, Hawk- Care taker, Meko - despised) Nugget, my biggests girl and also flock leader takes on rooster duties besides crowing. She looks out for the others, diciplines, and shares all the tasty morsels she finds with her sisters. She'll make a deep beeping noise when she finds an insect, to call the others. She then decides who gets it, by giving the look of death to whoever she doesn't want to give it too. She will not eat insects herself, and only eats a little bit of other treats. Runt Runt loves humans, and diciplines the others whenever they step out of order and fight with Nugget. Big red is interesting, she's a GREAT forager and any goodies found are quickly taken from her, and she doesn't seem to mind. Hawk is my very pretty easter egger. She quite tame and is a big baby. Meko is mine. She's the lowest of the pecking order and is picked on quite often. She does not eat from the feeder when the others do. She rarely is given insects, nor is she good at finding them. Her feathers are also torn from constant beatings. But I make up for that by giving her attention and hand-feeding her mealworms. They interact with squirrels too, and it's quite hilarious, my duck also flocks with them. (Her sibling died, and she was then human imprinted, she follows the chickens whenever she's bored now) Does anyone else have chickens?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have chickens! They are really funny! They each have their own personality and are really a hoot to watch. They keep our yard clear of neighbor cats and those pesky robins that steal worms.
We've had them for 6 yrs. Hope to get 6 yrs more out of them.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes i have the chickens wouldnt be right not walk outside and there not be chicken running around or crowing or fighting as most mine are gamebirds

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have a small flock of easter eggers. They are the best! :D My grandfather raised chickens, and I've always loved them. Most of them. Our rooster is going to find himself in a soup pot if he doesn't quit jumping at our toddler.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tryed the chicken thing twice now, but unfortunetly both ones i bought where already handled to much by lil kids that there parents didnt teach how to handle small animals and i found out after i got home (both times) some ribs where broken and thay died over night.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep chickens are great i also got ducks, and did have guneas, extremely load but gorgoeus....and then i had peacocks....those were awesome, and not mean like people say

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'm bringing this one back.

Her name is bologna and she's cool.
Work it, girl.
20210527_165026~2.jpg
20210527_165240_HDR~2.jpg

I have five. I could care less about the others if they didn't plop eggs. Leghorns and rainbow mutts.
20210527_164706.jpg

jc55

Arachnoknight
I do not have any myself but had friends in Texas that had a 44 acre ranch and they had a bunch of them.We would stay there and watch the ranch when they went away and the chickens definitely had personalities and my daughter would love to feed them when it was their dinner time.I however loved the fresh eggs for breakfast and realized that what you buy in the store do not compare.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
what you buy in the store do not compare.
Not even close. Good eggs come from happy chickens. Happy chickens eat EVERYTHING.
I caught a mouse in a trap. Threw it in the weeds. Chicken grabbed it and they played keep away until one of them tossed it back and swallowed it whole. Lol

jc55

Arachnoknight
Not even close. Good eggs come from happy chickens. Happy chickens eat EVERYTHING.
I caught a mouse in a trap. Threw it in the weeds. Chicken grabbed it and they played keep away until one of them tossed it back and swallowed it whole. Lol
They are entertaining for sure and if i am ever able to own some land i will have some for sure.Hard to accept store bought eggs after being spoiled with farm fresh eggs.:)