Chemically Receptive hair

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So I am watching an episode on Netflix of Night on earth, episode Jungle nights, 24 min. in, there is a curly hair Tarantula, the commentator says, “ with chemically receptive hairs, she smells her victim’s approach.

Where do they get this info from? Just make up something that sounds good for tv? I can't believe they consider this to be a documentary.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Dude you didn’t know this? Your late to the game I think the scientific term is chemical smell-o-vision. You can quote me on that ;)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Dude you didn’t know this? Your late to the game I think the scientific term is chemical smell-o-vision. You can quote me on that ;)
So maybe we can spray cricket scent on an apple, yeah that should work haha.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Well, everyone should know that tarantulas, especially curly hairs, may lack acute vision, but make up for it with their exquisitely sensitive chemoreceptive setae! These special hairs have the ability to detect a mealworm from over 3 miles away! That's why tarantulas are seen wandering the roads in the fall....they smell crickets. These hairs can also cause irritation because they will cause intense itching if they detect the scent of a predator.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Here's an interesting topic.

There is also a whole general explanation about chemical senses and olfaction in spiders on Biology of Spiders (Foelix), and smell is also mentioned a lil bit on TKG.

Last edited:

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If bet they have some kind of smell , maybe not the way we think about it. I doubt it’s on septae though

males seem to be able to sense females from a distance when the females are in an adjacent enclosure or not moving at all. I’m not sure how they do it but I’d assume it’s a pheromone

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Here's an interesting topic.

There is also a whole general explanation about chemical senses and olfaction in spiders on Biology of Spiders (Foelix), and smell is also mentioned a lil bit on TKG.
I bought this e-book a few months ago and love it. It's fascinating stuff. Highly recommend it!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you see it on tv it must be true.
Documentaries on Netflix often seem to lack factual information and eat time like langoliers!

It may be possible, however.
I don't know how they do it but they "smell", somehow.

Last edited:

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If you see it on tv it must be true.
Documentaries on Netflix often seem to lack factual information and eat time like langoliers!

It may be possible, however.
I don't know how they do it but they "smell", somehow.
[/QUOTE
Langoliers! Hadn’t heard that in a long time. I loved that movie as a kid... bowling balls with teeth that eat the past😂
Langoliers! Hadn’t heard that in a long time. I loved that movie as a kid... bowling balls with teeth that eat the past😂

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Oh they can smell alright, as soon as i walk in from a sweaty day at work they all just shoot down their holes as soon as im within 6 feet of their shelving

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They do have chemo-sensory "hairs", but (generally speaking) not for the purpose of prey finding/hunting. More so for intraspecific interactions and "interpreting" the environment they are in. It also helps them differentiate between regular air movement and breath from a vertebrate.