Chelicerae hardened without much of a problem...

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After getting some ideas from that thread and doing a lot of experimenting I found out a feasible way to harden molt chelicerae for use on necklaces or whatever. I decided on using the resin as I already have tons of the stuff and I knew how it worked (you mix a heating chemical with a tree sap like chemical that hardens it like amber).
On the first try I nearly smashed the chelicerae in half by making a small hole (there like a paper thin eggshell SUPER FRAGILE!). Then I wondered how I was going to make the chelicerae hard without bonding it to a surface. Took a while but I thought of using my already large and nasty hole to carefully insert a flexible wire and make a closed loop out of the wire with the chelicerae on it. After that I dipped the chelicerae in the epoxy resin just as the chemical reaction that makes it get hot started. This was very important because it was a state that the stuff didn’t have a gum like texture and could be quickly hardened. After a quick dip and making sure the cavities where full I waited until the resin took a bubblegum like texture and put the loop on a string and hung it to dry. Right now its drying and I shall soon have a T.blondi fang with chelicerae :D.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bob,
Awesome! I need to try that. My last blondi molt, I gave to one of my partner's bosses. When he found out I had t's, he was dying for a molt, to mount for his desk. I told him, "Wait until you get an adult molt off of her." :D
Peace,
Gillian

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I need to find a way so the hole making process wont almost destroy the entire chelicerae.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh and by the way did you ever find that article? I was wondering how they did it.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bob,
I have the article in my forum magazine. Email me, and I'll send it to you..As for now, I'm hittin the sack..
Peace,
Gillian
saxnpets@earthlink.net

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Now I need to find a way so the hole making process wont almost destroy the entire chelicerae.
I'd suggest dipping first, then drilling with a pin vise. (a pin vise is a super-small hand drill bit attached to what looks like an X-acto knife blade handle) This way, you are actaully drilling through your resin/epoxy instead of fragile shed chitin.

Bill