Check this vid out. Mices vs Scorp

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes the scorp in the video appears to be H. arizonensis.

Cheers.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You gotta hand it to the scorpion, wild mice are tough! What species of scorpion do you think it is?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didnt take long for the scorpions primitive respiratory system to let it down. Put up a good fight though, 2 against 1, pretty unfair I'd say.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only hope the flame wars don't start cus of this post. they get irritating after a bit.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is that why it suddenly stopped defending itself?
Doesnt take them too long to become anaerobic...primitive gas uptake, they just tire out. You could see its reactions and movements slowing down as the mammals tired it out. Got me stuffed how solfugids seem to be so active for so long.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didnt take long for the scorpions primitive respiratory system to let it down. Put up a good fight though, 2 against 1, pretty unfair I'd say.
I agree, the mice were definitely Grasshopper mice which aren't the usual mice who run away, but the total opposite. they work as a team.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A thing of note is that those two mice were immune to the scorpion's venom...

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you think the scorpion ever actually got a good sting in? I thought it was a bit hard to say. Are those mice found sympatrically to the desert hairy?

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It -appeared- to have landed a few stings on the mice. If it did manage to get a few hits in, it didn't do much to stop the mice.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Do you think the scorpion ever actually got a good sting in? I thought it was a bit hard to say. Are those mice found sympatrically to the desert hairy?
Onychromys torridus, at least, seems to be sympatric with Hadrurus spp.

Cheers,
Dave

funk

Arachnopeon
Man, that scorp has some bite.. he/she put up a great fight, and them mice just didn't give in, I know if I was getting tagged (or something was attemtping to tag me like that) like that I would leg it straight away.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ohh..I got to get me some Deserts, I've been looking for some a while already. And very nice vid. Too bad I didn't have sound though.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if hadrudrus venom is specifcated for certain types of creatures it would make sense the mice wouldn't be greatly affected by them. This is why even hot scorpions rarely kill man, they're venom is designed for bugs mostly, but we get in they're way. Something else to take into consideration is hadrurus (this actually looks more like spadix than arizonesis) like to sting they're prey. If the scorpion had eaten a big meal recently, it would make sense that these stings were inaffective. The video was interesting, though!!! Ps, that horizontal lunge was intense!

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The mice are Northern Grasshopper mice (Onychomys leucogaster) and are actually immune to scorpion venom. They are extremely carniverous (roughly 90% of their diet) eating insects, arachnids, lizards, and other mice. They also howl like a wolf. Kinda funky little buggers.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh, and while I don't have a problem with this particular video (that is exactly as it happens in nature and that was a part of a documentary that was aired I believe last year) I didn't particularly like the other scorpion vs. mouse video with the kids yelling kill it kill it and laughing. That kind of publicity gives us all a bad name.