check this out...

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First time ive run into this. Found it under some cinderblock that hasnt been moved for probably 20 years. Think of all that you miss because you just dont know its there! :wacko:

Sorry, I wasnt able to get a pic of the head. I will try again if needed. The thing really moves and digs with amazing speed. And it uses a total spaz out defense stratagy ...just goes nutzo when manipulated in anyway.
I think its a fairly interesting find ...love tearing up the backyard for this reason. But, i get distracted so easily! ;)

Any ideas? Common?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
No idea to genu or sp. but with alot of rock/refuge turning ive only seen afew. Crazy little "pede".

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is a geophilomorpha, soil/snail centipede

some species corpse feed and are built to actually put their head and first 10 or 20 segments *inside* the decomposing body.

i feed mine prekilled and give them virtually no vent and they seem to do fine.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics. I really like the 3rd pic. I usually pass these up but I came across one that was bumping up to 6 inches so I took it home. I didn't house it soon enough. Centipedes can dehydrate fast but this geophilomorpha shriveled almost as fast as a worm on pavement that didn't find it's way back to dirt.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics. I really like the 3rd pic. I usually pass these up but I came across one that was bumping up to 6 inches so I took it home. I didn't house it soon enough. Centipedes can dehydrate fast but this geophilomorpha shriveled almost as fast as a worm on pavement that didn't find it's way back to dirt.
the fastest i have ever seen a centipede die was when i stupidly set an empty vial with a huge stone centipede in the sun while i was preparing a travel vial for it. the stoner died in about 2 minutes!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info ;)

it is a geophilomorpha, soil/snail centipede

some species corpse feed and are built to actually put their head and first 10 or 20 segments *inside* the decomposing body.

i feed mine prekilled and give them virtually no vent and they seem to do fine.
Do yours come to the surface to feed? I would love to be able to get some non-manipulated "action" shots of this beauty. ;) But, it seems like this is one of those species that you could very well never see while kept in captivity ..except for when you dig it up.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the info ;)

Do yours come to the surface to feed? I would love to be able to get some non-manipulated "action" shots of this beauty. ;) But, it seems like this is one of those species that you could very well never see while kept in captivity ..except for when you dig it up.
two things let me see mine. they sometimes made little chambers in the sub that were against the glass, so i could see a loop or two their... the other thing is i would just leave a prekilled little roach on top of the sub and sometimes catch them eating off of it.

also, i dunno if they can be kept more than one per container... they *seem* fairly inoffensive and mild for centipedes but i have never tried... but it might be kind of cool to have 10+ in one container and make a "snake pit" effect

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW all, thanks for help with this one! :D
Not sure if Ill try and keep this specie... Technically, I'm not much of a pede collector.
Though, hoping to find more in the (my) "wild". They are one of the cooler things to be found smack dab in Los Angeles. Its amazing anything wants to live here... :? :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Though, hoping to find more in the (my) "wild". They are one of the cooler things to be found smack dab in Los Angeles. Its amazing anything wants to live here... :? :D
i think their legs are too puny to run away effectively

somewhere in LA basin we have glowing millipedes... only place in teh world, iirc

i keep my eye out for them, rather.

here is my soil cent. this one is ~3"BL but i have found some approaching 5" and gala has his giant one

zoom

zoom