Cheap Enclosure <$8.16 (9"x4"x4")

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep I thought of that as well. It's the angle I'm wondering about it. The best way to match it/measure it etc etc.
I actually used the sander set to 45ish the first time. I used the bandsaw every time since cause I'm lazy. :embarrassed: A dremel sanding drum, dremel cutoff wheel, a hack saw, sandpaper, sharp file, etc. will all work well I think.

Please note:
Use a file to clean up the burrs that get left behind or the modified lid has trouble sitting flat for gluing. :eek:

I'd say if there was a tolerance, it should be 45° +20°/-0° removed. I'd err on the side of cutting larger. That being said, I'd still try to keep them close to each other or you'll have the weight of the lid resting on one corner of the door. I used a ruler that rested on the inside of the lid pieces and drew a line so that they were all pretty much the same length. Let me know if I should draw a picture to illustrate.

My muticus enclosure was WELL past 45° on the sides. The only consequence is that the lid opens further and won't stay open perpendicular to the enclosure. In reality, this might actually be a benefit because there is less stress on those corners of the enclosure when the door opens. Oh and the door opens further too which can be a real nice feature.

Did this help?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I actually used the sander set to 45ish the first time. I used the bandsaw every time since cause I'm lazy. :embarrassed: A dremel sanding drum, dremel cutoff wheel, a hack saw, sandpaper, sharp file, etc. will all work well I think.

Please note:
Use a file to clean up the burrs that get left behind or the modified lid has trouble sitting flat for gluing. :eek:

I'd say if there was a tolerance, it should be 45° +20°/-0° removed. I'd err on the side of cutting larger. That being said, I'd still try to keep them close to each other or you'll have the weight of the lid resting on one corner of the door. I used a ruler that rested on the inside of the lid pieces and drew a line so that they were all pretty much the same length. Let me know if I should draw a picture to illustrate.

My muticus enclosure was WELL past 45° on the sides. The only consequence is that the lid opens further and won't stay open perpendicular to the enclosure. In reality, this might actually be a benefit because there is less stress on those corners of the enclosure when the door opens. Oh and the door opens further too which can be a real nice feature.

Did this help?
AH, you had a tool set to an angle, that's why they came out so nice.

I had a feeling it was 45 degrees. Yeah, I need a picture, I'm a visual learner like most unfortunately with certain things. I'm great in geometry, hence the visual. The cuts I'll be doing are for an Avic setup. I do like the idea of having the lid come down further, ie more than perpendicular to the Y- axis of the arboreal cage itself (if that makes sense). Like the 10 gallon lids we've seen people make for their Ts in tanks.

No rush on the diagrams.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
AH, you had a tool set to an angle, that's why they came out so nice.

I had a feeling it was 45 degrees. Yeah, I need a picture, I'm a visual learner like most unfortunately with certain things. I'm great in geometry, hence the visual. The cuts I'll be doing are for an Avic setup. I do like the idea of having the lid come down further, ie more than perpendicular to the Y- axis of the arboreal cage itself (if that makes sense). Like the 10 gallon lids we've seen people make for their Ts in tanks.

No rush on the diagrams.
You'll have to forgive the crudeness of the following drawing, but I think it illustrates what I mean.

160705_214642~01.png

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
This is great! I found these display cases at Hobby Lobby and getting all set to work on them. I think I'll be doing a Dummies version, which means I'm not engineer minded (at all) and have minimal tools- so we will see how it goes! Thanks for putting the plans together. Very useful.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey just one more picture to clarify the 45° cut for the hinge area.

Cut the lid into thirds and then remove material from the corners where the hinge will be (shown in red).
PicsArt_09-10-09.16.25.jpg

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
For slings I use 1/16th" and 1/8-1/4 for juvenile to adult. Remember if the carapace can fit through the rest will also.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking about using these for Jumping spiders. Wondering where you got the cork pieces?

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I love love love making hobby lobby cases. They are so cheap, especially after the 40% off, and look great. I keep a good number of slings in the hot wheels cases.

mitty

Arachnopeon
These are great! I haven't made any myself since I don't currently have a dremel.. But I would totally love to do something like this for my arboreals.

Jellyfish Jenni

Arachnopeon
Sure thing, I'm actually going to make a 10x10x10 soon and have instructions in the making that I was going to post for anyone to use. There are about 5 different sized cases all for under $12 at hobby lobby (after 40% off) and depending on the hole pattern, you can have this too:
View attachment 205165
Here's my concept art for a couple of the sizes:
View attachment 205168
I'd buy those in a heart beat! so modern and nice looking!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Is it possible to make an arboreal enclosure with following dimensions: 7-3/8" sq. x 11-5/8" h?

Here's the enclosure in question, it's a football display cube: https://www.containerstore.com/s/collections/display/football-display-cube/12d?productId=10001592

I was also wondering if anyone had tips on making a hinged or sliding doors as well.
Those are top opening and would work for pokies. psalmos, Tappies, and any arboreal that starts out as a burrower making dirt curtains . They wouldnt work well for arboreal T's that web up high since they most likely would web the top closed.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
Those are top opening and would work for pokies. psalmos, Tappies, and any arboreal that starts out as a burrower making dirt curtains . They wouldnt work well for arboreal T's that web up high since they most likely would web the top closed.
What would be a good enclosure for Avics, Caribena and Ybrapora?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
For an adult/sub adult a front opening enclosure 6"x6"x12"-8"x8"x14", something that enables them to retain the tube web home they make when the door opens. If its a sling or a Juvenile I use the Amac boxes from the container store 2 5/16" sq x 4 3/16" tall for slings and 4"sq x 7 1/4" tall for juveniles.

2.5 gallon aquarium tipped on edge and converted for adult
2017-09-21 19.37.06.jpg

Sling and juvenile upside down Amac boxes
2016-10-11 12.20.11-1.jpg

Link to store
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-amac-boxes/d?productId=10003497&q=Amac boxes