Changing the substrate?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
As I said in my previous post, I have two B.Albos that have been in there hides for around 11 months.

Upon checking on them just now, one of the enclosures has developed mold on the substrate, and requires changing immediately.

My question however is will it harm or cause severe stress to my T as I need to remove her from the hide and enclosure?

Thanks!!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Are we talking spots of mold or a carpet? I remove mold spots on the rare occasions that I get them as opposed to changing the sub. I've never had mold bad enough that I've needed to change everything. If you have that much mold, especially on a B. albopilosum enclosure, maybe there are some husbandry things we could help with.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Why is there mold in a B. albopilosum tank in the first place? Unless it's a sling it should be kept dry.
It may come from untreated wood. Hides/decor. Almost all wood will form mould easily if around moisture. Cork is the way forward.

However, if it isnt wood I agree that there shouldnt be a problem.

cold blood

Staff member
Mold would have to be ridiculous before it prompted me to change the sub.

Pick it out and dry things out, that's what I would do anyway.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Definitely pick out the moldy spots. If there is alot of mold forming then I would suggest changing the substrate.

It will stress the T out a little bit by changing the substrate but wont harm the T.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Definitely pick out the moldy spots. If there is alot of mold forming then I would suggest changing the substrate.

It will stress the T out a little bit by changing the substrate but wont harm the T.
I ended up replacing the entire substrate. After picking up her hide she ran around a little, so I changed the lot then put her back in and she went back into her hide. I kept the webbed bed she had built herself and put it back inside her hide also.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not too sure how it's formed to be honest. I keep the enclosure at 65% humidity.
B.albopilosum don't need specific humidity numbers, in fact, most Theraphosidae don't need specific humidity. I think the lps or or other seller tricked you into buying a hygrometer, which is useless, and will lead to stressful T-keeping and unhappy T's since they are notorious for giving false percentages.
Do yourself and your T a favour and get rid of it.
Let the enclosure dry out first except for a waterdish. B.albopilosum likes a little humidity now and then, but i'd let it dry first to get rid of mold spores.