change substrate in an OBT cage

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you ever change the substrate in your OBTs cage, or any of your Ts cages??? They are the only ones I worry about when I need to pull a dead cricket out or the like... For some reason both of them (in separate cages) have chosen to web at the top of the enclosure near the opening... So I always sweat it a little when I open their cage to do anything...

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you ever change the substrate in your OBTs cage, or any of your Ts cages??? They are the only ones I worry about when I need to pull a dead cricket out or the like... For some reason both of them (in separate cages) have chosen to web at the top of the enclosure near the opening... So I always sweat it a little when I open their cage to do anything...
Nope. The ones i've had web so much, there isn't a way to remove the substrate.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I gently blow into the P. murinus enclosure before I open them. Mine know where the exit is, and they'll wait up there as soon as I come close. I blow softly on them, and the pansies hiss, then run and hide. Another option is to use a spray bottle. Give the cage a misting once-over then do the deed.

I handle most of mine nearly everyday, so they naturally web where it wont be continually destroyed. Webbing isnt an issue for me.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've handled an OBT several times before.
my main caution is not worrying if you get bit, but if you freak it out it may run and you may never see it again.

but for changing substrate sometimes ill pick up the webbing as the T is inside and place it in a separate container while im changing substrate.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Changing substrate is pretty much unnecessary, especially with arid species like P. murinus. It also helps to keep them in a fairly tall container so they don't web the lid shut. Give them branches or whatever down low to build a nest in and keep some open space up top so they don't have anything to really web to up there. I don't think falls are really a concern with this species.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw little flies in the cage, checked and found some dead crickets, so I had to go in and clean them out... Both have chosen to web on the top... I have several leaves on the bottom for hides/places to web... but maybe they might web on the bottom if I added more branches or sticks.. thats a great idea, thanks!!!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't change substrate very often, but once in a while it is necessary to do so. Back a while I had to change out several OBT cages due to an ant invasion. The situation was an emergency one with no time for conjuring up fancy techniques. I took the cages into a bathroom, placed the cages one at a time on the bathtub and opened them there. I prodded the spiders out of their cages, cupped them, and later transfered them to new cages. Not that difficult a process.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Changing substrate is pretty much unnecessary, especially with arid species like P. murinus. It also helps to keep them in a fairly tall container so they don't web the lid shut. Give them branches or whatever down low to build a nest in and keep some open space up top so they don't have anything to really web to up there. I don't think falls are really a concern with this species.
What about with a G. Rosea? I notice poop all around the cage floor, I try to change the substrate every 3 months.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't change substrate very often, but once in a while it is necessary to do so. Back a while I had to change out several OBT cages due to an ant invasion. The situation was an emergency one with no time for conjuring up fancy techniques. I took the cages into a bathroom, placed the cages one at a time on the bathtub and opened them there. I prodded the spiders out of their cages, cupped them, and later transfered them to new cages. Not that difficult a process.
Not harvester ants i hope.. those things are horrible when they sting...lol

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not harvester ants i hope.. those things are horrible when they sting...lol
No, not harvesters. These were tiny cinammon colored ants - but they had a nasty bite. They invaded my arachnid room and several cages in one day. I came home in the evening to discover they had already killed a couple pets, and were attacking others. I had to take the OBTs our of their cages and brush the ants off with a small brush. Amazingly, the OBTs cooperated.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about with a G. Rosea? I notice poop all around the cage floor, I try to change the substrate every 3 months.
You're more likely to stress your tarantula out by doing this than keep any cleaning regime. Tarantula will put light webbing across the substrate - they're like guideropes helping your T to feel at home and to find its way around. Removing this is like rehousing every 3 months. Its just not necessary.

Removal of uneaten food, mould and bolus is all thats needed. I keep my OBT in cereal tubs, a long skewer or tweezers come in handy for removing anything that might cause issues.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I never change the substrate of any of my T's enclosures, except when I transfer them to a new container after they have overgrown their last one.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're more likely to stress your tarantula out by doing this than keep any cleaning regime. Tarantula will put light webbing across the substrate - they're like guideropes helping your T to feel at home and to find its way around. Removing this is like rehousing every 3 months. Its just not necessary.

Removal of uneaten food, mould and bolus is all thats needed. I keep my OBT in cereal tubs, a long skewer or tweezers come in handy for removing anything that might cause issues.
I remember reading info on the stressing out part when one changes the substrate. The removal of uneaten food/etc. I do at the ending of feeding sessions.

Blurboy

Arachnopeon
My OBT had made a really long horizontal burrow towards the back of the viv and it now only comes out when it's pitch black! I've not seen it for days now and was quite worried. I had a bit of a dig and soon came across it and so I've just left it and I'm going see what it does. I'll pop a cricket in again tonight as before it just came out and dragged it's prey away with it to feed. I've had non of the threat postures yet as I don't get chance to upset it :wall:

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT had made a really long horizontal burrow towards the back of the viv and it now only comes out when it's pitch black! I've not seen it for days now and was quite worried. I had a bit of a dig and soon came across it and so I've just left it and I'm going see what it does. I'll pop a cricket in again tonight as before it just came out and dragged it's prey away with it to feed. I've had non of the threat postures yet as I don't get chance to upset it :wall:
I have one that's laid back and easy to deal with, the other is evil incarnated, will attack through the top of his cage lol, and I mean I see fangs coming though... can't wait till they're full size EEK lol but both web on the top, wish it was on the bottom, easier to deal with.