Change in Behavior of G. pulchripes...

Shanigirl

Arachnopeon
Hello! My first T, "Tilly" is I presume a 3-4 year old female. Always docile. I am not a beliver in picking them up but has never given me any trouble when I do maintenance in her tank & or when being fed. The last two times I had to go into her tank (cleaning & giving water) she flicked hairs and now threw a threat pose!! I was shocked at the threat pose because it was SO much not in her character. But, what could be causing this behavior change? I have not changed anything. She has never molted for me, but also not showing any signs of pre-molt. Is there such a thing as pre-pre-molt?! She is the T that did not eat for almost 8 months when I first got her and is my most picky and slow hunter/eater. Just want some insight. I am going to leave her be and not try to disturb her. Thanks! :?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You may have just disturbed her and she was defending her territory. All Ts are different and their attitudes can change.

And how do you know it is 3-4 years old?

Shanigirl

Arachnopeon
Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. I know what you mean about questioning how old "she" is. That is what I was told by the person I bought her from. That's why I wrote presume I don't even know if "she" is really a she. Tilly is about 4 1/2-5" big. Just was wondering if this change meant something a more experienced keeper might have seen in their G. pulchripes. :) I have now had her for almost 1 1/2 years.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 2 G. pulchripes. The first one I will have had a year in February. Completely docile and mellow most of the time, but on the rare occasion it will flick hairs, never a threat pose though. The second, I will have had a year in April. This one has never flicked hairs and never thrown a threat posture. I believe the first one is merely defending her territory because I have a peek-a-view burrow that it resides in. You may have just startled it. Also, is it showing signs of premolt?

Drakk

Arachnosquire
I love the chacos i have 2 females and a MM atm had others before as well.
One of the females is kind of mean actually defensive i suppose of territory.
the other gets moody sometimes...i guess ive noticed the moody behavior with other Grammastolas too.
But usually there just awesome, i don't handle them often unless i need too but ive had no problems even with the more defensive one.
Anyway...maybe just an off day or got surprised?

Shanigirl

Arachnopeon
Thanks for everyone who wrote in. I think I figured out what happened. I fed Tilly and a few other of my bigger T's about 2 weeks ago some Dubia roches. I assumed she ate it because I could not find it in her tank. Guess what was in her water bowl this morning?! The dubia! Maybe she is in pre-molt and that unwanted guest spooked her. Then my coming into her space bothered her even more. I noticed today she is beginning to web one side of her hide. I am going to crush the heads of the dubias from now on. This is my favorite T for many reasons and just want her & the others to be happy (whatever that translates to them). :)