Chameleons

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I'm looking to get a Chameleon for my Girlfriend. I know almost nothng about them. I have looked around a few sites, but n othing too informative. Any tips or suggestions for learning about these animals?

Thanks,
Chris

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
From what all I've heard, as I've been thinking of getting one for awhile, is a veiled chameleon. They say these do well with 1st time owners and have a hardier constitution against things like low humidity and other problems dwelling in the home. And they can be quite colorful as well...

C.S

Arachnopeon
Veiled Chamelons are an EXCELLENT choice for the first time keeper.
Very hardy and usually quite calm.
Setup in a tall enclosure [ exo-terra flexaruims are ideal] ,with plenty of branches/vines [no thicker than they can grasp ] .Ideally they should have a basking spot running between 85-95 along with a full lengh UV light.
Humidity should be kept around 80% [very easy with a drip system] and your done:clap:

Also...you would want a male.They have the larger casquade on their heads, more colourful, grow larger and you'll never have to worry about dealing with an egg-bound Cham:wall: :wall:

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been on this site for several months now, but this is the first time i've ever completely disagreed with someone. To own a chameleon successfully you need experience. There is no good chameleon for beginners, they should only be kept by people who know what their doing when it comes to lizards. They are complicated to keep in captivity and can be very unforgiving to their keepers. They need a lot of UV lighting, water, space, security, and calcium to prevent any amount of stress that can quickly lead to illness. And recovery for a sick chameleon is also very difficult. Please take the time to become more knowledgeable and choose another herp. So that when the time is right both you and your chameleon will be able to enjoy its life in captivity. ~ Rex

Also, a good site about chams is www.chameleonsdish.com

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chameleons are very very high maintence, you need to have experience, and a lot of time. They require a lot of care. For your first chameleon i would recommend like most people a veiled chameleon. I have had very good luck with a miniature species called Wiedersheimi.

I would recommend you do your research and set up a terrarium before even thinking about getting one. They are expensive and very fragile animals. It will only be worth the time, effort and money if you know how to properly take care of them.

I dont mean to scare you off, anyone can do it. Chameleons are gorgeous creatures. They are worth all the time you put into them.

PM me if you have anyother questions.