Chalcodes breeding

Legion09

Arachnoknight
I've successfully paired my chalcodes twice now, and planning on continuing this for as long as I can...but I was looking for information to further my attempts besides pair and pray...The last report in the breeding report sub-forum was in 2009 and with only 4 posts in that thread (All woefully lacking in detail)...I was hoping someone with newer information could post something either here or there for my perusal. Thank you!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I think with any breeding it's pair and pray. Let the male recharge, make sure he has water and food if he will take it. Feed the female up good before a pairing so (supposedly) she is less likely to try and eat him.

I have a big female that needs a male - she ate the first before he even had a chance to hook up. Not my friendliest T.

Marga

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've successfully paired my chalcodes twice now, and planning on continuing this for as long as I can...but I was looking for information to further my attempts besides pair and pray...The last report in the breeding report sub-forum was in 2009 and with only 4 posts in that thread (All woefully lacking in detail)...I was hoping someone with newer information could post something either here or there for my perusal. Thank you!
Simulate the area you are from.Keep in mind WHEN they mate in the wild as well.I know they were EVERYWHERE at the ATS conference.I have a few that I have paired in July/early August that are really plumping up.I house them in large Sterilite bins with 6+ inches of substrate and a half tube of corkbark as a hide.They are kept dry with a waterdish,but every few days I would lightly mist half of the enclosure to simulate the Monsoon season.I have backed off the misting as the monsoon has slowed down.They have all burrowed somewhat and the humidity in their burrows is higher than the ambient humidity.Substrate is 60% peat/40% sand.Just try to simulate real world conditions first and foremost.

---------- Post added 09-25-2012 at 05:27 PM ----------

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?86693-A.-chalcodes-breeding-info
Read the post by reptist on page 2.

Last edited:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my breeding project is Aphonopelma hentzies but I only hooked my female up 2 times with newly matured male ended up with huge eggsac close to 400 spiderlings. I am working on a calender for mating to eggsac to spiderlings. I will try to put it together very soon

Legion09

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info all! I figured trying to simulate my outdoors conditions would be a good thing since I live in Tucson. I mist when it rains only, leave a full cap of water daily and have made a rather decent burrow for the girl.

Personally, I'm rather surprised at the niceness of the female towards the male. Once done, she just turns around and puts herself back in the corner, letting the male leave with no harassment. Both are wild caught specimens from this area so I am sure they are chalcodes as well.

Thanks again. :) I'll be sure to put my report in the appropriate area when it completes.