Chaetopelma olivaceum: some notes on husbandry

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
When i picked up my female, I could find very little information on how to keep this species, so I figured I’d share my findings here for anyone thinking about getting one.

My MF is just shy of 5” DLS.

Mine has burrowed, one tunnel with two exit/entry points. I have only seen her fully pop out twice. Once to grab a nearby prey item, and once I moistened a corner. More on that below.

she has webbed the entirety of her burrow to the entry points, and left a thin veil of webbing over them. I believe she uses the thin veil to detect prey and not necessarily to block it off, as she will run up and snatch prey as soon as it touches the veil.

When rehousing, she was extremely fast and very nervous. She didn’t settle much in the catch cup and scurried around in short bolts for a while. I’ve seen no threat postures or defensive behavior.

Mine abhors moisture. I tried slightly moistening a corner and she wouldn’t touch the substrate at all until it dried. Right back to her burrow after.

She is a finicky eater, sometimes refusing food. I’ve found she prefers proportionately small prey items in comparison to her size.

Ive seen two color forms of this species, a dark almost black one, and a grey colored one. This is indicative of region. The specimen I have is an almost metallic, sleek grey. This may or may not make a difference in husbandry

As far as slings, I would keep this species with a moist corner and room to burrow. I can’t be certain on growth rate, but mine went from juvenile to MF fairly quickly. 3” DLS to just shy of 5” in around 6 months, after molting twice.

If anyone has one of these and would like to add anything, feel free! This is just what I’ve seen with mine. Easy to care for, reclusive, and nervous. I’d recommend someone have a little experience before picking this one up, as they are a flight risk/teleporter, but I wouldn’t say they’re defensive.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
most informative - this is actually on the top of my “to get” list - i have some cousins in Israel who’ve seen them in the wild and they seem super neat

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
most informative - this is actually on the top of my “to get” list - i have some cousins in Israel who’ve seen them in the wild and they seem super neat
I have only seen them for sale once, I was lucky enough to find her at an expo, and I had a hunch I must get her! I love the grey color as I haven’t seen too many Ts that are that sleek grey.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I have only seen them for sale once, I was lucky enough to find her at an expo, and I had a hunch I must get her! I love the grey color as I haven’t seen too many Ts that are that sleek grey.
yours is close the full maturation yes? do they stay grey their whole life? i thought in adulthood they took on a black color or something

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
yours is close the full maturation yes? do they stay grey their whole life? i thought in adulthood they took on a black color or something
There is two different color forms that I’ve heard of. One is black and one is a grey, depending on the region they come from. My female is mature.

these photos are screenshots of a feeding video. She’s very reclusive and fast so I haven’t been able to get any still shots of her but you can definitely see her coloration. 4CB6D990-96AE-4F5C-A8D6-F95F197684BB.jpeg AE76ED8F-6E53-4A6A-8AE8-D456A6607ACC.jpeg

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
As far as slings, I would keep this species with a moist corner and room to burrow. I can’t be certain on growth rate, but mine went from juvenile to MF fairly quickly. 3” DLS to just shy of 5” in around 6 months, after molting twice.
That's really fast for a female. You didn't raise it up from a sling did you? I just got a couple slings so this information is helpful. Thanks

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
That's really fast for a female. You didn't raise it up from a sling did you? I just got a couple slings so this information is helpful. Thanks
I did not! I got her at an expo at about 3.5” DLS, maybe 3. I didn’t measure her but I’d guess that was about her size range.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I did not! I got her at an expo at about 3.5” DLS, maybe 3. I didn’t measure her but I’d guess that was about her size range.
Wow that's impressive. My 3 mature females have molted at least once in my care, but my male has yet to even molt once and it's so frustrating. I'd thought he will molt first since he's only like 3'' inches. But nope, he is just waiting forever for that molt.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Wow that's impressive. My 3 mature females have molted at least once in my care, but my male has yet to even molt once and it's so frustrating. I'd thought he will molt first since he's only like 3'' inches. But nope, he is just waiting forever for that molt.
That’s a very interesting observation. Perhaps females of this species grow faster? Because my female shot up pretty quick, and it seems yours did too. We’d need more input from more people with males but that is interesting.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
There is a dealer with slings most of the year in the UK. I am seriously thinking about getting one.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
There is a dealer with slings most of the year in the UK. I am seriously thinking about getting one.
You should! They’re cool and very pretty. Honestly, I don’t think they would make a bad first OW either.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
You should! They’re cool and very pretty. Honestly, I don’t think they would make a bad first OW either.
Ordered, to find at the checkout they were out of stock 😔
Nevermind, I'll wait til they are back in again.

dogpack

Arachnosquire
I am researching this species and haven't yet found any useful information. If I find nothing after several hours/days lof searching, I will search for any information I can find about their natural habitat. This should at least reveal some clues about their living preferences and hopefully other valuable information. Whenever any research ideas pop up,

dogpack

Arachnosquire
Tarantuland, I appreciate your help. To add more to this challenging issue for me, I have hearing loss, limited vision, and use a wheelchair. I'm currently raising feeder insects and while looking through Far not found this spider at a price range that fits my budget. I know it is skiddish and jumpy but this doesn't scare me. My biggest concern is accidentally losing it. I would work with it deliberately, slowly, and use a larger container to house the smaller tarantula home container so if it escaped, I would have it contained safely. As long as I know where it is I would be able to work in a far area away from it's location for feeding and cleaning.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I’ve came back to update, after catching her out for the first time since posting, I believe her to be between 4-4.5 inches DLS. This is eyeballing it as I haven’t gotten a solid molt with all the legs attached. I did get a photo of her spermatheca. Just wanted to say she’s smaller than originally thought, for people who come across this thread looking for information on them.

Attachments